Havelocks

Started by Shedman, 09 March 2018, 05:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shedman

How do you paint Havelocks onto figures (Pendraken obviously) that aren't cast with them?

Do you just paint over the back of the head or glue bits of paper or use green stuff?

I'm only talking about doing 6 figures max

Alan

Steve J

I think gluing on bits of paper would be nicer and certainly look better. However once on the table, you probably wouldn't notice the difference between the paper and one just painted on.

mollinary

Quote from: Shedman on 09 March 2018, 05:42:05 PM
How do you paint Havelocks onto figures (Pendraken obviously) that aren't cast with them?

Do you just paint over the back of the head or glue bits of paper or use green stuff?

I'm only talking about doing 6 figures max

Alan

What are you looking for? Pendraken do make some
figures with havelocks, and I am sure Leon would come to an arrangement for a few figures if they suited!

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Shedman

This is what I'm looking for - sorry but the Royal Academcy are clever b*stard and I can't save the picture and then upload it - I already have suitable painted figures sans havelock

Cracking Military artist IMO this Auguste de Moltzheim

https://www.royalacademy.org.uk/art-artists/work-of-art/mountain-artillery-in-marching-order-algerian-campaign-1846

Ithoriel

Here we go, the picture in all it's glory

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Shedman

@Itoriel - much obliged

So I've got the NWF Mules with Mountain Gun and I have a load of spare FPW gunners who have shorter kepis but now have white trousers

It's just getting the havelock to look right

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Well, you could say some are havelock, and others havenots.

Coat!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

vonlacy

Have a look in the The War of the Pacific range, plenty of havelocks there.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Will GET OUT. Nobby, get his coat.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

Already in the gutter.  :D
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Oh....Is that what a havelock is ? (The flappy bit covering the neck ?)
More new information to digest.

I'd use a smidgeon of green stuff...Though it'd take longer to mix the putty and wait for it to set, than do the actual 'sculpting'.
I would imagine (as I haven't got the relevant figures to hand) that the best result might be to take a teeny amount of metal from the neck of the figure before applying the g/s, Alan.

If you lived next door, I'd do them for you, toot sweet.

Cheers - Phil

Shedman

@Techno

Havelocks come in a wide variety.

Just a cloth shoved under the normal headgear or as in the painting or as a complete covering or the headgear or as the headgear itself

A mate of mine suggested liquid green stuff so I picked up a pot of that this AM

If you lived next door, I'd do them for you, toot sweet.

You are more than welcome to  move to Stroud :)

As for Wales I do have the pleasure of working in Cowbridge, the Bond Street of south Wales, every other week

Alan

Womble67

We learn something new everyday

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Terry37

For things like that I usually just build it up with paint. I use acrylics and white seems the best color for some reason. I let the paint dry a tad on my palette so it's sort of thick, and then start adding it where I want to  build up an area. Usually takes a few coats, letting each dry well before doing ghe next. The advantage of doing it this way is there is no filing/sanding required, and you can shape it as you build up the paint.

This also works great fr adding turbans, fixing incomplete cast wheel spokes and other small areas that don't usually get a lot of handling

In this picture you can see the turban added to teh Bashi Bazook to the right. I also created the longer tunic on him the same way.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

d_Guy

To come full circle I would echo Steve's suggestion about using a bit of paper (tissue or towel depending on the look you want). As I am incompetent in using green stuff, I use this method a lot. Once the paper is soaked with white glue it is very easy to get the right drape and fold - you have only a few minutes to get it the way you want (very easy to do over, however). Basically you end up with paper mache which when primed (carefully) and painted is fairly sturdy. You wouldn't want to pick up the little fellows by their havelocks, however.  ;)
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on