New(ish) phone scam.

Started by Techno, 09 March 2018, 02:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heedless Horseman

Sadly, I was taken in by ...'someone' who could stop my computer sending out spam...many years ago...(I was very tired...even more so after watching the 'work' done as it progressed! THEN I googled it and found it was a scam!)   :o  ( Reset PC to 'factory'...then bought another machine! With all the hassle and expense entailed.)  :o :(
Still TRY to be polite to the B*****s...(hoping they will not be vindictive and increase targeting frequency)...but thinking about all those cruise missiles reaching the end of their shelf life...can wish!   :d  :d  :d
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

d_Guy

Quote from: Fenton on 09 March 2018, 08:53:56 PM
Sadly for most telemarketers and I have done it at times when money was short is that they are just trying to make something like a living. The money is never great and a lot is commission only I have  never met anyone doing the job who wanted to do it long term. So I would never be rude to them as they are  just people trying to make a few quid

I agree that telemarketers that are selling legitimate products (like the very few door-to-door salespeople) should be treated kindly and with respect and with no attempt to waste their time. Cold-calling (and I've had a taste of it) is a tough way to make a living (if you actually can).

I'm speaking of those that are total scam artists criminals who use fear and intimidation, most particularly against the weak and defenseless, to extract money without even a hint of a product. These are in a different league.

Of course - I don't talk to either category.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Steps to take -

1) Get preference on your phone - no cold calls from legit operators after that

2) For the computer scam - ask which operating system, they will only know windows.

3) For any scam if you have time keep em talking

4) If it looks like a legit number then it's probably being piggybacked. Call your service provider and give it to them. If it's one of theirs then they can put a stop on it.

5) As a last resort, put the phone next to a radio.

Some of these people are very determined, had 7-8 calls on the mobile once, with me talking to BT on land line at same time.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Fenton

I'm not sure if it still the case but TPC only used to stop calls to your number that were on existing dialler lists. If the same company got new dialler lists from another 3rd party and your number was on that then they could still ring you. As I say this was a few years ago so the legislation may have changed
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Techno

I'm ex-directory and on TPS (which seems to be total overkill, being ex-dir !!)....I still get a few 'cold/scam calls', from time to time. (They seem to come in batches.....3 or 4 a week for a number of weeks....Then nothing for possibly months.)
You just won't stop random auto-diallers. :'( :'(

Cheers - Phil

Womble67

Me and the wife got rid of our landline because of all the ppi calls, we paid extra for being ex-directory but found out later it had been issued before, we were constantly being bombarded by bailiffs calls

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

I don't mind the odd one but we get a barrage at work constantly.  Lately we've had a different random energy broker ringing nearly every day trying to offer us a new deal on our electricity.  I try to be polite and tell them that we're contracted for quite a while yet and that I'll sort it closer to the time but they get very pushy about.  One yesterday kept asking for various details from our latest bill, like the tariff we're on, the end date of contract, etc.  In the end I passed the phone to Adele to play 'bad cop' and she told them to get stuffed.

The 'you've got a problem on your computer' ones I quite enjoy, it's a bit of fun stringing them along and pretending you're doing everything they tell you.  I kept one on the line for about 20 minutes a couple of years back telling him there were rabbits on my screen, my 'internet box' was smoking, my 3 1/2 inch floppy drive wasn't connected, etc.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

You mean you anit got a 3.5" floppy ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

I keep getting emails about how to fix that.

Orcs

A few Years ago someone phoned my dad offereing him free calls if he would change his phone contract to them.  He told them I am 85 and Have been wit Bt all my life so I am not changing now.  Two weeks later he got sent the paperwork to sign for transferring his account.  They submitted the change regardless of what he said.  I expect they thought "Doddery old man will just sign it"

On the occasions I get them I am very cagey and give out very little info and normally ask them lots of questions.  "Who are you?, How did you get this number.  Which of my cars are you saying had an accident.? etc"  I then get very rude and aggressive if I am short of time.  If not I string them along.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Techno

First time for AGES we've had scam calls.....Two so far, from different numbers....(Must be Cardigan code's turn again)

Pretending to be from "Your Internet Service Provider".....Telling us that the service will be terminated, as 'naughty people' are hacking into the service.

First one, I nearly followed instructions....But only for a split second...'Cos they'd correctly guessed who my ISP was.
Second one was the generic, "This is your ISP.....".....and then the same drivel.

A pox on them.  >:(

Cheers - Phil

Orcs

Quote from: Techno on 29 May 2019, 01:17:07 PM
First time for AGES we've had scam calls.....Two so far, from different numbers....(Must be Cardigan code's turn again)

A pox on them.  >:(

Cheers - Phil

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

d_Guy

And other recessed area.