A Very Old Fan

Started by Orcs, 07 March 2018, 11:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

07 March 2018, 11:26:16 PM Last Edit: 08 March 2018, 12:29:24 AM by Orcs
When my brother got married over 43 years ago, I inherited his bedroom. He also left me his Fan heater, as we only had radiators in the Bathroom, Hall and lounge.

I am sitting here tonight with that same Fan heater warming my Den.  For a laugh I looked it up o the internet, and to my amazement found pictures of it.  I then looked at the date, and was even more amazed that it was a 1960 model!.  So this fan heater is 58 yeas old.  Its even older than my first cuddly teddy bear, which I no longer have (eldest daughter acquired it somehow?). And 4 Years older than me !

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

petercooman

FAN-tastic story!

i'll see myself out

Techno

Isn't there a light bulb, (in a fire station ?) in the 'States, that's still burning after some ridiculous time.

(Yes there is, I just looked it up....It's claimed to have been alight since 1901 and has only been switched off a handful of times.)

Cheers - Phil

fsn

Long may it continue to heat your tootsies.

Mr Cooman, your coat awaits you on the pavement outside.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

Have you chewed the right pocket? It contained some breath mints...

Orcs

Quote from: petercooman on 08 March 2018, 08:46:42 AM
Have you chewed the right pocket? It contained some breath mints...

No he just licked them all and put them back
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ace of Spades

Quote from: fsn on 08 March 2018, 07:40:53 AM
Mr Cooman, your coat awaits you on the pavement outside.

Is there an inside pavement as well...?
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

If I had an inside pavement, I'd be worried about the traffic.  :-S

Anyhoo, a working electrical fan heater after all this time is quite amazing. Granted the following are not electrical items or working machinery but some of my Dad's tools (which I now own) are older than me. He also had a small dust pan / shovel with a wooden handle which he used when I was a lad. I "inherited" it long before his death and have now passed it on to my youngest daughter. I also keep drill bits in a small bashed brass box that I understand was issued to the British troops at Christmas in 1914 (and which I think originally contained chocolate and a Christmas message from the King).

p.s. Nobby, sometimes our lights flicker and TVs go on standby ....... you don't switch the fan on around 6 o'clock by any chance?  :-\
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

That story has warmed the cockles of my heart.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

petercooman

Quote from: Orcs on 08 March 2018, 08:53:56 AM
No he just licked them all and put them back

Hope he licked the good side 'cause I already licked one side.
Quote from: Ace of Spades on 08 March 2018, 09:22:11 AM
Is there an inside pavement as well...?

With my luck, if I had an inside pavement, it would probably have a beggar on it, playing an out of tune guitar all day long.   :'(

Leman

What exactly is spare change? On my pension I need every penny - literally.

Dave

Quote from: Westmarcher on 08 March 2018, 09:41:44 AM
If I had an inside pavement, I'd be worried about the traffic.  :-S

Anyhoo, a working electrical fan heater after all this time is quite amazing. Granted the following are not electrical items or working machinery but some of my Dad's tools (which I now own) are older than me. He also had a small dust pan / shovel with a wooden handle which he used when I was a lad. I "inherited" it long before his death and have now passed it on to my youngest daughter. I also keep drill bits in a small bashed brass box that I understand was issued to the British troops at Christmas in 1914 (and which I think originally contained chocolate and a Christmas message from the King).

p.s. Nobby, sometimes our lights flicker and TVs go on standby ....... you don't switch the fan on around 6 o'clock by any chance?  :-

I when I was first married had a heater from my mam, home made made in the 30's  wooden box frame by my grandad (he was an electrician).

Dave

Ithoriel

My painting table originally belonged to my parents and they bought it when they were expecting me so it's basically the same age ... can't help feeling it's wearing rather better than I  :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

I still have a bust of Wellington in my study which my parents bought me when I first got into wargaming. I never had the heart to tell them that I'd rather have had one of Lee or Grant.

mollinary

Quote from: Leman on 09 April 2018, 07:41:19 PM
I still have a bust of Wellington in my study which my parents bought me when I first got into wargaming. I never had the heart to tell them that I'd rather have had one of Lee or Grant.

I have ones of Napoleon and Frederick the Great, but I REALLY want one of Moltke the Elder!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!