A slightly morbid question

Started by fsn, 07 March 2018, 07:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

Quote from: Matt J on 07 March 2018, 03:02:55 PM
I don't really worry about it, I'm young enough to ride the crest of genetic engineering and become immortal.......... :d

I'm 32, so maybe immortal by the time I make 60?

:d

Techno

Quote from: Matt J on 07 March 2018, 03:02:55 PM
I don't really worry about it, I'm young enough to ride the crest of genetic engineering and become immortal.......... :d

That's one thing I would definitely not fancy.
Being a few thousand years old, (having used many other previous identities)....I can tell you....It gets incredibly tedious.

Cheers - Phil  :P

d_Guy

Unless I can get a bunch of new joints I wouldn't fancy it much either.

Note to Orcs, here I am speaking of a collection of hips, knees, shoulders and such and not reefers.  ;)
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

paulr

I suspect most of us would have to be immortal to finish all the projects we have on the go, let alone all the ones we want to do

Westmarcher, makes some very good points, having a will makes things so much easier for those left behind

I agree with Norm, all of my 'stuff' has already provided me more value than I paid for it. Anything that is got from the sale of it is a bonus. I hope that it goes to someone who will enjoy it.

Typically here, unfortunately there have been a few over the last couple of years, the local club is contacted and one or two members of the committee deal with the sale
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

Quote from: d_Guy on 07 March 2018, 05:44:27 PM
Note to Orcs, here I am speaking of a collection of hips, knees, shoulders and such and not reefers.  ;)

Makes me sound like some sort of reprobate.....HMMMM.  Most of my family think that so perhaps its correct.  ( but it has been fun) :D
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Orcs

08 March 2018, 08:53:12 AM #20 Last Edit: 08 March 2018, 08:56:48 AM by Orcs
I did an inventaory of my books with ISBN no and approx. price based on what I could find on the internet - I know that is very variable, but it should give them some Ide as to what to do with them.

I have sold stuff for the wife of a deceased friend and gave her the money.

I think a general list of what you have and approx. what you think they are worth.  It could just be something like :-

Painted 10mm - 40p a figure £3.50 a vehicle
Painted 28mm £2 infantry £3.50 Cavalry, £6 Gun and 4 crew.

If you can get someone other than a solicitor as an executor it can save unnecessary expense. Some 20 yeas ago  A colleague  at work lost his Aunt. She had made her solicitor the executor.  The Solicitor insisted on writing to everybody in her address book to ask if they had any claim on her estate and charged the estate £40 a letter for doing so. Legally correct but questionable.

We had power of attorney for our parents which made things really easy.  You are not legally obliged to tell the bank they have gone , so we just wrote cheques for the funeral expenses and sale of the house from their account. Then just wrote and closed the account when everything was settled.

As your daughter is the only beneficiary this would sound like a sensible idea. The only thing to be a little concerned about is if she were to ever get together with someone a manipulative or dubious and they persuade her you are insane ( this could account for many all of the forum) and pack you of to a care home early.    

Anyway, you know the wargamers law.  "Don't paint your last figure or you will die"  So just keep buying the figures.   I am due to live to 183 with what I have already.  :)

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ace of Spades

We have made some arrangements with the guys I usually play with; 20mm goes to X, 10mm goes to Y, Naval Warfare goes to Z and so on. That way the 'burden' is spread evenly, friends can still enjoy the stuff we made (hopefully for generations to come) and the family won't be bothered with traders or others insulting your legacy for ridiculous prices. I have other (and easier movable like the motorbike etc.) stuff to sell to keep my wife comfortable for a while and the rule of thumb is that she or other close relatives can keep anything they want as a memento even if that means she wants to keep the whole collection for a while. Re-enactment stuff, uniforms, guns etc. should be sold within the group which should bring in a few quid and that would only really leave the books. Now that is a problem... they represent quite some value and just giving them away wouldn't be fair to her so they would probably have to be sold. I would advice her to sell them in small batches on the internet (giving close friends a first choice) and go out for a nice dinner or a movie every now and then.

A wargaming friend of us passed away just ten years ago and his parents have held on to his 1:1200 metal ships collection and his books (we were already given the rest). Two weeks ago we visited his grave in Northern Germany when we were in the vicinity and left a pack of chewing Tobacco on his grave. Three days later his parents visited one of our group; they had found the Tobacco on his grave and immediately knew we had been there! They're 80 years old now and asked if we wanted to take care of his collection of ships for wargaming (value of around  GBP 10,000,-; he had the complete WW-2 US and IJN Pacific fleets incl. supply and transports!) since they were now at the age that they had to consider what to do with it all. They also offered us his books; all for free because they wanted his friends to enjoy the legacy. Wonderful people... we'll take them out to dinnerwhen we pick up the stuff for sure!

We have had some other experiences too though; when another friend passed away some 13 years ago a friend visiting his wife a week after the funeral was barely in time to rescue a part of his collection of vehicles and painted figures from the bin! She couldn't care less if he took it (but yes, she did want some money for it!) or otherwise she would throw it away like she had done with the rest of his stuff... You would almost be glad he didn't have to live another day with a witch like that!

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

It seems to be gifted to the club round here.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Norm

I do now have most of my books on the Kindle, so that really is one thing less for people to worry about!