Project management

Started by fsn, 06 March 2018, 09:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subedai

1. Read/see something that sparks interest.
2. Is it part of an existing project or completely new venture? Checked historical sources for information, heraldry, organisation etc. Work out figure types and numbers. Order figures and bases.
3. Start painting figures while wondering whether to use an exisiting set of rules -one of the hundreds I've collected over the decades- or write my own.
4. Usually paint about three-quarters of the chaps before another project takes my fancy. Loop back to Point 1 at this point.
5. Put unpainted figures away until my interest is sparked again and I will finish them.

However, current projects with chaps on my painting table are:

6mm FPW -nearly done
6mm French Italian Wars. Buildings for period
6mm Macedonian
6mm Mongols
10mm Mongols
10mm Polish Medieval
10mm Polish Renaissance

Next project is already lined up:
6mm Early WW II British, German and French. 95% of models acquired.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Ace of Spades

I also try to keep batches together for consistent painting but since that hardly works due to the 'butterflies'... I started to make notes in an Excel sheet with the paints I used and the techniques used. That way I can always add new units to existing armies without creating too much difference in looks. Mind you 'new units' are still the ones that were bought in the initial batch but somehow ended up in the verges of my painting and modelling motorway. A motorway that is also constantly completely congested with new projects trying to squeeze their way in...

For example; two weeks ago I aksed a friend of mine what his plans were with his Team Yankee Soviets since (at least some of) my Americans were built and painted. I suggested it might be a good idea I started my own Soviet force so we could at least play. So he offered to sell me his unbuilt Soviet stuff for half the price; an offer that I couldn't refuse of course! This did re-release the T-Y 'butterfly' and so I started hoarding more 15mm Soviet stuff. Then I found some second hand Leopard-2's for the same game and of course could not resist them. I have no plans to do West-Germans though but a Cold War Dutch unit would be great... look at pictures; search for TO&E's, order more tanks online, buy extra vehicles at a wargaming show; inform for more vehicles by different manufacturers; start printing decals, buy paint... cool, all set to go!

Then an order with paint for my 10mm Blitzkrieg project arrives...hmmm, nice! Perhaps better start with those untill the Leopards and T-64's arrive? Then again; the painting table is still occupied by a full platoon mounted and dismounted German hussars for 1914 in 10mm that still need their bases finished. So let's do those first. I think... My 28mm French Napoleonic infantry unit that I painted just for fun is at least ready...enough... But I know I still have to sort out some American vehicles for T-Y so I'm back at square one!

Chances are we will be playing some more 18th century 10mm games in the near future so I really need to get some more scenery done for that too. Then I have some friends who are restoring a 'Nashorn', (yes; a real one!) and they asked if we couldn't play something mid- to late war preferably in 20mm with some Nashorns in it. 'Sure' I said and was already checking models that might fit the bill. Mind you; I haven't bought any yet but as soon as the paycheck comes in...

So don't worry about it folks; we all need a bit of diversion every now and then; it's what keeps me going at least (please don't tell my wife)! I long ago stopped being bothered about it; as long as there's some money left to spend on a new project I happily will. :D

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Quote from: toxicpixie on 07 March 2018, 02:56:34 PM
Is there a wargames ADHD support group somewhere?!

The scary thing is this forum is probably as close as you'll get to that support group ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Womble67

Quote from: paulr on 07 March 2018, 07:12:02 PM
The scary thing is this forum is probably as close as you'll get to that support group ;D

Hello everyone my name is Andrew and I'm a 10mm addict

Lol
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ace of Spades

toxicpixie

It's not a support group, it's a gathering of enablers :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Ace of Spades

You're right... if you're dealer is part of the support group there's something wrong indeed...

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Womble67

Quote from: toxicpixie on 08 March 2018, 09:19:12 AM
It's not a support group, it's a gathering of enablers :D

So very true indeed

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

Chris Pringle

Quote from: fsn on 06 March 2018, 09:47:55 PM
A question. How do you prganise your projects?

Let's see, it goes something like:

1) Casual remark by a mate triggers mad obsession;
2) Find the most obscure sources possible, preferably written in foreign;
3) Use that research to churn out historical scenarios;
4) Start playing the games using whatever proxies work best from our various collections;
5) Shortly before completing the campaign, order a ready-painted army to use for it.

I've hardly painted anything myself for years bar the odd one-off, like railway guns for the Siege of Paris in 1870-71. Time is too precious.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/

rct75001

Here's how it goes in 'real time'.

1.  Got a last minute invitation to a game last night where very nice 28mm Perry's AWI were on the table.
2.  Asked a few questions
3.  This morning casually browsed onto the Perry site and noticed they have an imminent price rise.
4.  Spent time looking for and finding Mollo's Uniforms of the AWI on my shelves
4.  Now considering what units and how many to get to 'take advantage' of the pre-price rise.

All of this while I should be working out my next order to Pendraken for 10mm TYW and WSS.

Richard
And she said "You haven't bought more of those little men have you?"

https://rctlittlesoldiers.blogspot.com.au