2 vehicle models per platoon

Started by Zbigniew, 02 March 2018, 08:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zbigniew

I was wondering if this idea would cause any trouble during play. I am planning to make two tanks per platoon for BCIII because of visual reasons and to remind me that this represent platoon and not single vehicle. I dont't want to base these two tanks on single base but two separate smaller ones. My idea is that they will look more natural this way while moving along the roads etc. The two bases will always have to touch each other if only by the corners.
Did anyone try this? Does onyone use more than one vehicle per platoon? Would this cause any problems during play?
thanks,
Zbigniew

Shedman

It would look good but I think it would give rise to a few problems if they are on separate bases

For instance

do the two tanks fire as one tank or as two tanks?
if one tank is destroyed then is the other one as well?

At the end of the day it sounds like it would be easier to use a large sabot base and place both vehicles on that

Alan

Zbigniew

My thinking was all the rules stay the same. 2 models fire as one and are destroyed as one.
The idea is just for visuals.

the question is from which point  I would measure distances. from closest model of the platoon to target I guess?

Glorfindel

I would very much recommend both vehciles being on one base - using
two separate vehices is bound to cause confusion at some point (usually
at a critical stage).

However, if you really want two vehicles, perhaps identify one as the
'actual' vehicle and the second as the'visual only' vehicle.   All rules apply
as if the 'actual' vehicle was the only one there.   If it gets destroyed,
they both go.   

The second vehicle is for visuals only but doesn't exist as far as the
rules are concerned.

For this to work, the 'actual' vehicles would need to be clearly identified.

Phil

Zbigniew

02 March 2018, 03:47:25 PM #4 Last Edit: 02 March 2018, 04:12:57 PM by Zbigniew
The idea of the "ghost" vehicle sounds reasonable. I too wouldn't like to cause quarrels between players. On the other hand I dont like bases being so big that
they can't be placed for example in an urban area.

Maybe I should give up the platoon idea and make it level down to 1:1 vehicles and squads of infantry. Unfortunately BCK rules seem to suit platoon level better. Hmm...

But If I base 2 vehicles on two square bases say 3x3cm and oblige them to always face the same direction in line or column it will always be a 6x3 cm combined base. It shouldn't influence the rules much and It would make column look possible.

Orcs

Its all down to aesthetics, and what you want to do.  Personally I think it will cause issue for the reasons mentioned by the others.

It will also cause issues when a suppressed unit is forced back into another unit causing that unit to be suppressed.  if a "Ghost" is forced back on to a "real" what happens, or a "Ghost on Ghost" contact .

Unless your playing on a very large table it will also make the battlefield very cluttered.

If you want to use full platoons I would suggest Chain of Command. This works very well with 10mm.  We use squads with multiple figures on the base.  base the LMG squad on one and the Rifle squad on the other. you can use tufts of grass or flowers to make identification easier. Small dice can indicate casualties and pinned numbers - these can be incorporated into the bases using the Dice- holders and Dice Leon will happily sell you
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Zbigniew

Thanks guys for suggestions. Yeah I think I will play it squad level and 1:1 tank to model ratio. The idea of two vehicle models on separate bases per platoon seem to be messy.

Zbigniew

Dr Dave

The closest I got to this was 6mm North Africa with 3-4 models on a single base. That way it did look like a tank regt of 50 plus models, though in 6mm. So why stop at 2 models? "Expense of course" I hear you say. So I think all you'll do is make the table a little more crowded?

Itinerant Hobbyist

Sounds like you're going a different route, but if you decide to have multiple armor to represent a platoon, I would suggest multiple on a base. Otherwise, you could make the two (or three) all touching each other at all times and aim from the center. But that gives a parking lot look.