Weather reports from the forum ?

Started by Techno, 01 March 2018, 12:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider4

Quote from: Fenton on 01 March 2018, 01:15:28 PM
It does seem like weird snow as  it's more granular rather than flakes. Not sure if that's to do with the high winds or not

Humidity. Very dry snow, from the east. 'Normal' snow comes from the west (i.e. Atlantic) so is very much 'wetter'.

Also in Bristol, snowing lightly now, but is settling. Supposed to keep going overnight and into tomorrow. Agree that chances of Bath Half taking place on Sunday have got to be v. remote.

Leon

We've had about 12 inches so far, a lot of it last night.  The roads are OK but there's no postal services at the moment, so we're going to take tomorrow off I think.  The Hammerhead show has been cancelled as well due to the police closing the roads.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Raider4

Quote from: Raider4 on 01 March 2018, 02:37:56 PM
. . . chances of Bath Half taking place on Sunday have got to be v. remote.

Actually, race may very well go ahead, but getting to it will probably be a nightmare.

Subedai

At the other end of the country in my part of Kent the weather, like the snowman is abominable. Two loads of about 4" over two days with no melting in between. As Python once said 'It's cold enough to freeze a monkeys bum, your majesty!' and with the temperatues fluctuating between 0 and a lot of minuses it's none too warm. More of the falling white stuff in blizzard format is supposed to be heading our way but Storm Emma seems to have either slowed down or gorn orf to somewhere else. Luckily heating works and the stone walls of Narnia are keeping me warm enough to write and/or paint.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Techno

I THINK, we're just getting the VERY front edge of Storm Emma, here in Pembs.
Wind's picking up, a little.....Though as far as snow is concerned, all we've got 'castor sugar' being gently sprinkled over us at the mo'.
Temperature is still appallingly cold.....especially with the wind chill !

Again....Keep warm and safe, Gang.

Quote from: Leon on 01 March 2018, 02:40:36 PM
We've had about 12 inches so far, a lot of it last night.  The roads are OK but there's no postal services at the moment, so we're going to take tomorrow off I think.  The Hammerhead show has been cancelled as well due to the police closing the roads.

Don't blame you, Leon.....If Hammerhead has been cancelled, that probably means the village I used to live in, close to Newark, is suffering at the moment !

Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel

Went to our local Scotmid store in a beautiful, sunlit snowscape to find that locusts had apparently stripped the shelves of anything remotely bread or milk like (I decided unsweetened coconut milk didn't count) so flagged down what seems to have been one of the few cabs running in Edinburgh today and went to the nearby 24-hour Tesco in ever-thickening snow flurries. They were out of fresh milk and bread but did at least have plenty of UHT milk and in-store bakery rolls, so restocked and headed out into what now resembled the Fimbulvintr of Norse legend!   Phoned for a taxi and was told they'd no idea when they'd get to me but they'd get there eventually. Had several Blitz Spirit chats with fellow Edinburghers and then gratefully climbed into a taxi which slithered me carefully home.

#britishproblems :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Poggle

And by contrast we've had over two inches of rain here in Toledo Ohio, with more coming down every hour. The end of our garden is now a moat. Three local counties are under flood warnings. It's currently 36f and likely to dip just below freezing tonight. My missus and I got our shopping done this morning, and we don't have to go anywhere until Sunday. Glad to stay indoors in weather like this.  :(

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mollinary

In rural Suffolk, down a narrow back lane about a mile from the A143. The lane is packed snow and ice all the way, with two snow drifts about two feet deep where the wind has drifted the snow through gaps in the hedges. The wind is whistling around the eaves, but fortunately it has stopped snowing. Unlike Captain Oates, I have no intention of 'just going outside', and therefore I will not be some time!  Hope to wait it out.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

paulr

For further contrast; currently 14C, partly cloudy, almost no wind, heading for forecast high of 26C :d

Two cruise ships in the harbour to enjoy the nice day :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Locals on Facebook saying we're cut off now. Oh, well, didn't have any plans to go anywhere anyway. Supplies holding out so far except milk is running out. Facing the awful prospect of having to drink beer instead of tea ........  :D

ATTENTION TOWN DWELLERS: Beware of falling icicles when walking sliding shuffling past high town buildings (have received reports that some tenement buildings in our nearest town have "police tape" around them to keep people away from the 'drop zone')
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Techno

I'm getting worried....As we're still getting away with it at the mo'.

Tiny amounts of snow being blown around, causing pathetic drifts of up to 3mm !

Wonder what it'll be like when I wake up tomorrow.  :-\

If it's the same, I'll be delighted !!

Cheers - Phil

fred.

We've even had a  bit of snow in normally mild and wet Southport. Mainly on Tuesday, probaly 1-2" that has hung around, with a light top up last night. Main roads are clear, most side roads are too. But a lot of pavements, and other areas still have quite a lot of snow and ice packed onto them. It's bitterly cold, and windy.

Supposed to be going to Stoke on Sunday - think that is unlikely!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Steve J

Cycling home was fine this evening, until the last bit on our road, which was treacherous due to a mix of compacted snow, bare tarmac and snow drifts. Bristol seemed like a ghost town with very few cars, and those often stuck in traffic jams unable to get up some hills that hadn't been gritted. Everything looked beautiful and eerily quiet. Plan to go sledging tomorrow, if I can get it out of the garage that is.

T13A

Hi

In the Mendips in Somerset; snow since last night but really came on lunchtime and still blowing a blizzard here now. I doubt if many people will be getting into or out of the village tomorrow. So I'm thinking a solo To the Strongest!, Persians v Macedonians......

Cheers and stay warm, Paul
T13A Out!