New Member of the Family

Started by Terry37, 26 February 2018, 05:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

Quote from: Orcs on 27 February 2018, 12:15:39 PM
Dear Mr Picky,  I think we can assume that as the title refers to Peter Rabbit and not Peter Hare, Peter is indeed a Rabbit.

Of more concern is that the story refers to a Panzerfaust, but in the pictures Peter is clearly holding a late war Panzerschreck.

Dear Mr Stupity, I was talking about Terry37's film .........   :P  ;D

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Terry37

Guys, I am pretty sure they are rabbits, or bunnies or buns to bunny people. Some rabbit breeds do have ears that long (usually the lops, although most associate hem with hares. Bottom line, they are both Lagomorphs, and neither are rodents as many think. As for ears, it can also depend upon the angle of observation. This picture of Clover shows what I mean, as her ears look very big.

Either way, that is a sad video, but the message is very poignant. I do not want my post to cause any issue though, please.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Orcs

Quote from: Westmarcher on 27 February 2018, 12:31:44 PM
Dear Mr Stupity, I was talking about Terry37's film .........   :P  ;D

Mr Picky

Sorry I did not realise you were referring to Terry's film.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Westmarcher

It's alright, Terry. We're grown-ups (although sometimes debatable) and only having some fun (the smiley faces are usually the give away). As for the Peter Rabbit film, Orcs, it's not only the Panzerschrek, it's wrong on so many other details - Mk.2 Tiger with 88mm howitzer(?) JSIII illustrated(?), foul and abusive language, gratuitous violence ..... etc. ....  :(

However, the talking rabbits were perfectly believable.  :)

Signed - Mr Picky   ;)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

28 February 2018, 01:31:53 AM #19 Last Edit: 28 February 2018, 01:36:49 AM by FierceKitty
The theme has been around a few centuries. These are from the zamek at Bučovice....damn it, I'm getting nowhere with attaching the images.  ~X(
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

Terry37

I have heard of that art of the rabbits you share in your link  FierceKitty. I will share a favorite tale of mine - The rabbit in the  moon.

In the Buddhist Jataka tales (Tale 316),[3] a monkey, an otter, a jackal, and a rabbit resolved to practice charity on the day of the full moon (Uposatha), believing a demonstration of great virtue would earn a great reward. When an old man begged for food, the monkey gathered fruits from the trees and the otter collected fish, while the jackal wrongfully pilfered a lizard and a pot of milk-curd. The rabbit, who knew only how to gather grass, instead offered its own body, throwing itself into a fire the man had built. The rabbit, however, was not burnt. The old man revealed himself to be Śakra and, touched by the rabbit's virtue, drew the likeness of the rabbit on the Moon for all to see. It is said the lunar image is still draped in the smoke that rose when the rabbit cast itself into the fire. A version of this story can be found in the Japanese anthology Konjaku Monogatarishū, where the rabbit's companions are a fox, instead of a jackal, and a monkey. The legend is popular and part of local folklore throughout Asia in China, Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Myanmar.[4][5][6] The legend also gave rise to the Mid-Autumn Festival of China and Vietnam, Tsukimi of Japan and Chuseok of Korea which all celebrate the legend of the moon rabbit.

I was fist told of it as a Japanese tale, and later learned it was rather wide spread.

Terry

"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

DFlynSqrl

fsn

Silly rabbit!

Give a man a rabbit and he will eat for a day. Otter, teach the man to fish and he will feed himeslef forever.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Sir Terry got it right. Let a man sit by your fire, and he is warm for an evening. Set fire to him, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Orcs

Quote from: fsn on 28 February 2018, 07:28:14 AM
Silly rabbit!

Give a man a rabbit and he will eat for a day.

Yes but very delicious eating for the day.  :)

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Westmarcher

I've eaten rabbit, too. But never a cat or a dog. Mind you, a long time ago, inspectors found an Alsatian dog in the freezer in one of the Chinese restaurants in the town ......  :-&  ........ but I never, ever dined there.   #:-S

Orcs

28 February 2018, 11:08:27 AM #27 Last Edit: 28 February 2018, 11:14:32 AM by Orcs
Quote from: Westmarcher on 28 February 2018, 10:06:02 AM
I've eaten rabbit, too. But never a cat or a dog. Mind you, a long time ago, inspectors found an Alsatian dog in the freezer in one of the Chinese restaurants in the town ......  :-&  ........ but I never, ever dined there.   #:-S

Years ago the local Chinese we used was found to have half a Red Setter in the freezer  :-&

Its merely culture (and actual taste) that defines what people eat. Hence Hindus won't eat beef, Jews and Muslims portk etc.  So while I certainly would not want to eat Dog or Cat ,  my stance as a meat eater is that  all animals must be well looked after and dispatched quickly and  humanely. You then should not be deceived in what you are actually buying/eating.

Techno

Orcs

Quote from: Techno on 28 February 2018, 11:16:20 AM
YUK !

Cheers - Phil

That's exactly what I think about eating dog or cat.