Sonic - Pi

Started by Techno, 25 February 2018, 08:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

25 February 2018, 10:46:08 PM #15 Last Edit: 25 February 2018, 10:52:30 PM by Ithoriel
Yeah, I'd plump for Nutcracker too d_Guy.

Edit: To be fair I'm more likely to be listening to Dua Lipa or Rag'n'Bone Man than classical, so what do I know? :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Westmarcher

Nutcracker? After all Phil has had to go through lately, I don't think that's very helpful ....

:P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Techno

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVXcH73AWv0

Hope that works !!

If you go to around 6minutes, 30 seconds you'll find the refrain that has stuck in my poor old brain for YEARS.

Cheers - Phil

d_Guy

Your mind is much complex and sophisticated than mine if THAT has been stuck in it for years!  =D>
It was reminiscent of a score of an Errol Flynn movie of the late 1930s.
I'm disappointed it wasn't more tangible like  "The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies".
I am glad for your sake, however,  that the itch has now been scratched!  :)
Sleep with clean hands ...

FierceKitty

I used to like that piece when I was a teenager. Thank goodness one grows out of some things!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

I still haven't grown out of 'Yes', 'Genesis' 'ELP' and oodles of others from my teenage years, Kitty.

I find that it's an 'odd thing' with music.....Some songs by my favourite 'artistes' I still love to bits, after decades.....But NOT every time, I'd admit....And there are some songs by the same favourite bands, that I truly can't abide.

It's the same (for me) with classical music.....Some compositions I find incredibly moving.....Others, by the same composer leave me totally cold.

I've got too many rock/pop CDs to count.....And about 150 'classical' CDs.....Most of which, I've tried to listen to on at least one occasion.....and then ejected them from the player within seconds.
I know I should give them a second go.....But I never get around to doing that. Who knows...I might find some gems in among that lot.  ;)

Thanks, Bill....Sorry it wasn't THAT one......And yes....I'm glad the itch has been scratched, too !! ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

d_Guy

I believe Kitty was speaking of sugar plum faries.
Me - my mind is stuck on this as I empty the dishwasher:

If my pacing is correct the last teaspoon goes in the drawer on the final crescendo.

Techno

That IS one of the 'classical' pieces I love too, Bill.  :)

(Of course...It may be because that awfully nice Rick Wakeman, used that piece....with (Ahem) a couple of changed  notes....towards the end of 'Journey To The Centre Of The Earth'.)

That's another 'album' I can still thoroughly enjoy. (I can remember my dear old Mum going....."No, no, no....He's playing the wrong note... there....It doesn't go like that !" ;D ;D ;D ;D)

Cheers - Phil

d_Guy

These pieces are now classed as the beginnings of "Wagnerian Rock" (I'm nuttzo for Meatloaf and Pink Floyd as I've mentioned before) :)
I can't avoid one final step down memory lane, triggered by the Journey to the Center (or Centre) of the Earth reference.
This catchy tune (whose original source eludes me):

toxicpixie

Can't beat the 'Loaf. Or Pink Floyd, for that matter - The Final Cut is perhaps my favourite album ever. Except Clutching at Straws, Darklands, Honeys Dead or Graveyard of Empty Bottles. Wait, my three favourite albums are...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Techno

Quote from: d_Guy on 26 February 2018, 06:10:58 PM

This catchy tune (whose original source eludes me):

One bit sounds like the 'Grand old Duke of York' ...... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hmmm...Nathan......I don't know Darklands, Honey's Dead or Graveyard of Empty Bottles.....Who's dems by ?
From the other two you've mentioned...I'd probably like those.

Cheers - Phil :)

toxicpixie

26 February 2018, 07:30:12 PM #26 Last Edit: 26 February 2018, 08:38:54 PM by toxicpixie
Darklands and Honeys Dead are the two best Jesus & the Marychain albums (the first is quite bouncy pop music with some very dark lyrics, the second is back to the wall of feedback and anger they do so well; arguably Snakedriver is their bestsingle  track but it's not encased in such a good album!); Graveyard of Empty Bottles is the Dogs D'Amours acoustic mini album. They're in the same vein as the Quireboys, Wildhearts et al with a sort of glam punk Stones/Faces blues rock feel. Graveyard is quite folky though, which I like.

To the YouTube's!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Techno

Thanks, Pixie !

Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

The worst news I've had in a very long time - and there's been a lot this year already - is that tinnitus may be here to stay. Music may be a thing of the past for me.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Westmarcher

27 February 2018, 09:10:12 AM #29 Last Edit: 27 February 2018, 09:14:08 AM by Westmarcher
With a bit of luck, maybe not so, FK.   My wife has tinnitus - so either the radio or TV are almost always on in our house or car (not the TV of course!*) and she says her brain can usually tune out the tinnitus.  :)

* In the early days of my insurance career, I worked in the motor insurance department. There once was a claim involving a Mr B. He was always dropping by at the branch and not quite the full shilling, shall we say. Whilst filling in his claim form for his recent motor accident, when asked what he was doing at the time of the accident, he said he was distracted by something he was watching on the TV in his car!  :o
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.