All Korean war sculpts report to Movement Control

Started by Sunray, 21 February 2018, 01:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

Quote from: Techno on 22 February 2018, 06:00:00 PM
Eh ?

How have you seen the quilted jacket dudes, Bill ?...
Who's hacked my pictures folder ?......Or has someone been passing those on ?....... :-

I haven't even sent those to Nobby....And I should have. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Cheers - Phil  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Call security we have been hacked ! Call the Pendraken secret agents.....

Oh that's right we don't have any Pendraken secret agents.  Still ....we will need them for the Cold War  :)

d_Guy

Sleep with clean hands ...

Leon

Quote from: Techno on 22 February 2018, 02:05:59 PM
I know that Middlesbrough Post Office have tried to deliver both packages....and taken them back to the sorting office. =) =) =)

Yeah, that was annoying!  There was a massive protest about 400 yards from our unit from 5:30am-11:30am this morning, blocking the main A road completely and leaving people stationary for over 2 hours in some cases.  Two of our staff were on their way in and ended up turning around and going home, Adele saw it on the news before she left the house and waited it out.  As a result, there wasn't anyone at the unit to sign for the packages...  >:(

There's a report tonight that the blockade caused an ambulance to be delayed and someone might have died as a result.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

23 February 2018, 06:47:11 AM #18 Last Edit: 23 February 2018, 06:51:50 AM by Techno
Quote from: Leon on 22 February 2018, 11:33:29 PM
There's a report tonight that the blockade caused an ambulance to be delayed and someone might have died as a result.

Oh Blimey...That's not good !.....And a complete b*gger that folk couldn't get into work.
At least I know the boxes should be safe at the delivery office !

Hope that there's no protest again today ! (Oh dear.....I've just read that there might be. X_X)

Cheers - Phil

Steeleye

As a matter of interest, what sort of protest was it and by whom?

Steve J

Well that's not good and I just hope on-one died as a result. Was the protest linked to the University 'strikes' that are going on at present?

Techno

It was apparently an 'unofficial' bit of industrial action at a power plant....(if I've read it right, the plant's under construction, at the mo'.)

Some workers are allegedly miffed at working conditions there, and the fact that a number of 'foreign' workers are being drafted in.
Whether that's true or not, I don't know....I just Googled 'Middlesbrough protest, and read a few of the reports.

Cheers - Phil

Westmarcher

Seems to be the way of it. My pal worked on HMS Queen Elizabeth and maintains he lost his job to Eastern Europeans who were cheaper to pay. Romanians also recently dug up our pavements to install cable.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leon

All collected now and safe at Pendraken HQ!  I'll get them checked over the weekend and get some photos taken for everyone.

Quote from: Steeleye on 23 February 2018, 07:24:32 AM
As a matter of interest, what sort of protest was it and by whom?

It's a new biomass plant they're building on Teesport.  The original reports were that the protest was over 6 foreign workers coming in to a workforce that's already 80% local, so it seemed a bit of an overreaction.  By the end of the day, the story had switched and it was about their working conditions on the new site instead. 

I'm all for people's right to protest, but I don't think shutting down an entire section of the town is the right course of action.  People couldn't get to work, kids couldn't get to school and were stranded at bus stops for buses that weren't coming, people missed hospital appointments.  They've had a second protest today but this time on the actual site and without blocking any roads.

Quote from: Techno on 23 February 2018, 08:27:28 AM
...and the fact that a number of 'foreign' workers are being drafted in.

Quote from: Westmarcher on 23 February 2018, 12:29:09 PM
Seems to be the way of it. My pal worked on HMS Queen Elizabeth and maintains he lost his job to Eastern Europeans who were cheaper to pay. Romanians also recently dug up our pavements to install cable.

I think this aspect of it probably needs more information about who the workers were, what jobs they were doing, and what rates of pay they were on, to give us some better context. 

I remember when I lived in Cornwall, there were three large food factories near Launceston (Kensey, Duchy and Ambrosia) and they were about 90% Eastern European workforces.  But it wasn't because they were cheaper, it was because they worked hard and the local folks didn't want to work the 12-hour shifts of repetitive and boring work.  I knew at least 6 of my friends who got jobs there and the longest any of them lasted was about 3 weeks, they simply couldn't hack working 12 hours on a production line. 

It's the same with most of the fruit farming in the UK, there was a recent mini-documentary taking a group of late-teens / early 20's and putting them to work for a day picking fruit and almost every one of them said they wouldn't want to do that work full-time.

Anyway, back to the original thread, I'll get these figures photo'd for everyone asap!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

Quote from: Leon on 23 February 2018, 03:11:10 PM
All collected now and safe at Pendraken HQ!  I'll get them checked over the weekend and get some photos taken for everyone.

EXCELLENT !!....I'll sleep better tonight.

What I want to know is.......Did the PO actually leave you a couple of 'We've tried to deliver notices'.....Or did the drivers turn around and go back to the depot, 'cos they couldn't get through to Pendraken HQ ?

Cheers - Phil  ;)

Leon

Quote from: Techno on 23 February 2018, 04:16:10 PM
What I want to know is.......Did the PO actually leave you a couple of 'We've tried to deliver notices'.....Or did the drivers turn around and go back to the depot, 'cos they couldn't get through to Pendraken HQ ?

Surprisingly they managed to get through somehow so they'd left us a card notice.

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Quote from: fsn on 23 February 2018, 09:09:04 PM
Biomass?

'Fraid not, we got rid of the squelchy monsters in the early 90's so its this Biomass now...

d_Guy

Sleep with clean hands ...

Sunray

Come on Leon - we know you have got them! What about a few images of those forthcoming Korean figures to wet the appetite and show to bank managers as surety for the required loans.  :)