just fixed the photobucket issue!!!

Started by petercooman, 20 February 2018, 08:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

20 February 2018, 08:40:29 AM Last Edit: 20 February 2018, 10:14:50 AM by petercooman
Found this on the LAF forum:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=106567.0

Tried and really works! Can see all the old pictures now. I just downloaded the "photobucket hotlink" add-on for firefox and every picture that was blocked just re-appered!

Raider4

Ithoriel

I value my online privacy and security over the ability to see the images.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

petercooman

petercooman

Quote from: Ithoriel on 20 February 2018, 09:41:07 AM
I value my online privacy and security over the ability to see the images.

How does this change your privacy/security?

Ithoriel

The fix reports, "back to base," where you go online and what you look at or at least the Firefox version does. I leak quite enough personal information already.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Fenton

I emailed a teccy friend about this and he wrote back

Unfortunately any photobucket fix extension is prone to be flakey, as it works by either exploiting backdoors in their ill informed money grab (impersonating google search crawlers or similar) or is in fact a proxy service which either gets shut down, uses hacked account details, or cant handle the demand.

Its worth noting that in the case of the proxy service based ones (and this includes any proxy service free or paid for that you or your employer do not directly control, i.e. hidemyass.com and similar) that these can be a major security issue, as they work by forwarding your traffic to a third party who you have no idea what they are doing with the data they harvest, it would be trivial (and is a common tactic by hackers) to make the service pay attention to requests to sites other than photobucket like online banking, so all the encrypted data sent between you and the bank (login details etc.) goes through there server sounds paranoid but this sort of attack is called a man in the middle attack. So unless you remember to only enable the plugin/extension on sites you dont care about your data on an not open any other tabs, and disable it as soon as you are done you "should" be ok.

In other words use at your own risk, be aware that it could slow your browsing experience down and at worst empty your bank account. It pays to be paranoid online as any free service has to be paid for somehow, it just depends weather your comfortable with their means to monetize you....
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!