Napoleonic Brunswick Avant-Garde

Started by fsn, 17 February 2018, 04:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

17 February 2018, 04:11:08 PM Last Edit: 17 February 2018, 04:12:47 PM by fsn
Gentlemen.

I can't do it. I just can't do it. Perhaps I should explain a bit more.

In 1973 I bought the classic "Uniforms at Waterloo". I was much taken with the black Brunswickers and some Airfix French found service in the Corps. The Avant Garde were supplied by some carefully chosen Confederates.

I was quite excited when Pendraken released their Brunswickers ... however. Those of you who have been in this forum will know my pet hates - prone figures, kneeling figures and firing figures. Whereas I dislike these poses post 1900, I cannot tolerate them pre 1900.

Imagine then, my disappointment when the Pendraken Brunswick Avant-Garde come in two flavours - kneeling or firing. I have made my purchases over the last few months, hoping against hope that I would get to like, or at least tolerate the Avant-Garde.

I can't. I know they're skirmishers, I know they're perfectly good sculpts ... but not for my table.

So, Gentlemen of the Forum, I come to you. Is there a reasonable proxy in another range? My first though was the Austrian jaegers, but these too seem to be firing. I'm not too picky, but something that looks a bit like a Corsican hat would be appreciated. I'd prefer an "advancing" position.

If not, then my Brunswick Corps will march without it's Avant-Garde.

Thank you.  
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

Personally don't understand why firing models are "no good". Even if you dislike them,  it's only one unit, no?

fsn

In some ways it being only one unit makes it worse.

It just looks wrong to me. My Napoleonics spend more time advancing in column than they do in the firing line. I don't like the look of firing poses in these formations ... and kneeling poses are even worse when you have a column with alternative firing and kneeling figures.

I'm not that fussy about much. To me a Sherman 75mm is pretty much a Sherman 75mm, because I can't afford to but all the variants for all the uses I need make of a Sherman 75mm. I can  just about prone or kneeling soldiers on crew served weapons, but pre 1900 firing/kneeling is something I really don't like.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

d_Guy

This may be too much of a stretch but look at the running figure in AU3 - paint can make up for much and the hat is similar (sort of similar).
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

paulr

18 February 2018, 07:41:27 AM #4 Last Edit: 18 February 2018, 07:49:16 AM by paulr
If memory serves FSN is not that keen on 'ice skaters' either ;) ;D

I should add that I like the dynamic pose, it suits the unit
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Good description. (chuckles ruefully, knowing what he'll think every time he sees one from now on)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

Prefer the ice skater to the kneeling.

I may get a pack for evaluation. Thank you.

petercooman

Quote from: fsn on 17 February 2018, 05:37:02 PM
In some ways it being only one unit makes it worse.

It just looks wrong to me. My Napoleonics spend more time advancing in column than they do in the firing line. I don't like the look of firing poses in these formations ... and kneeling poses are even worse when you have a column with alternative firing and kneeling figures.

I'm not that fussy about much. To me a Sherman 75mm is pretty much a Sherman 75mm, because I can't afford to but all the variants for all the uses I need make of a Sherman 75mm. I can  just about prone or kneeling soldiers on crew served weapons, but pre 1900 firing/kneeling is something I really don't like.

I understand your point, but to me it would not be so bad.

Now would swapping the heads be an easy solution?

fsn

I have thought about head swaps. My experience with them is that it ends up with what looks like a good day for the French Revolution.   :(