Floppy hats and tricornes....

Started by jaztez, 17 February 2018, 12:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

I do love those drawings - remind me of Ronald Searle, they all feel larger than life characters :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

John Cook

Quote from: Westmarcher on 20 February 2018, 04:54:22 PM
I believe "The Penicuik Drawings" are the source for this information - contemporary drawings by an unknown artist whose style is a tad caricaturistic.  Nor can we be sure that the artist was drawing only the look of the English contingent within the Hanoverian Army (remember, this was a British Army with Scottish and Irish regiments also). Here's a link to government troops with floppy hats.

https://jacobitereenactors.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/jacobite-19.jpeg

Westmarcher, yes indeed.  My mistake.  The army had been 'British' since 1707 and, yes, I was alluding to the so-called 'Penicuik Drawings'.  Primitive though they certainly are, I don't know of any other contemporary images of the British infantry on campaign at that period.  I'd be pleased to be pointed in the direction of any more as I'm on the cusp of a Culloden project and am looking for as much primary source material as I can find, on the Government and Jacobite forces.