For King and Parliament publishing update

Started by d_Guy, 12 February 2018, 07:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollinary

Quote from: paulr on 06 April 2018, 01:44:11 AM
It sounds as though sales of FK&P are going well. Apparently Simon ran out of stock of the associated Dash chits, they are now back in stock

A very well deserved success =D> =D> =D>

I hope the preparations for the demo games at Salute are going well

Thanks Paul.  I finished boxing everything this afternoon, so I am ready to go.  OOBs, labels, all the extra paraphernalia done. Simon, however is up to his eyeballs in grout, basing chickens, he assures me!  I thought that was a rather unkind way to describe the Parliamentarians, but there we go!

2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

paulr

Quote from: pierre the shy on 06 April 2018, 09:32:38 PM
I completed all the units necessary to play Tippermuir last night (they're only printed card bases  :-[) using DGuys expanded OOB for FK&P so we will be playing that sometime soon.

Very much a case of quality vs quantity since the Covenant force is made up of almost entirely raw militia foot and horse against Montrose's veteran Irish and highlanders of various types. The Covenant have twice as many units as the Royalists all up but some of the militia is very dodgy and must pass two untried unit tests before they can act. Some of the Royalist highlanders still get limited ranged bow fire.

A must win battle for the Royalists else the campaign in Scotland will effectively be over from the get go. 

looking forward to this after the mainly cavalry based scrap we had in our first game.

Sounds a very interesting game coming up :-\

You had plenty of infantry in our last game, for some reason you chose not to do much with it ;)
It made no sense for mine to come off their nice hill ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Bunny

Will be ordering my copy today and looking forward to reading it and painting and  arranging my 10mm figures!!

This is a very useful thread by the way!

paulr

Pierre the Shy will be playing our second game of FK&P this evening, Tippermuir 1644, thanks d_Guy for the scenario

I wish Mollinary and Simon the best of luck with their demo games at Salute

d_Guy

Quote from: paulr on 13 April 2018, 05:05:10 AM

I wish Mollinary and Simon the best of luck with their demo games at Salute

Most sincerely seconded!  :-bd

I will be playing Tippermuir this weekend as well to add to the festivities in my small way.  I will be really interested to see what it looks like with humans on both sides!

Just posted more on the set up:
https://inredcoatragsattired.com/2018/04/13/he-saw-the-enemy-up-on-a-large-extended-plain-the-deployments-at-tippermuir-1644/

And here is one pic - a view of the Covenanter positions from the middle of the Irish Brigade:

Sleep with clean hands ...

mollinary

Thanks guys!  Now relaxing in a hotel bar with a large glass of chilled S-B after a busy afternoon setting up. We have a prime pitch, right in the centre of the hall, and all looks great  (apart from the fact I left Sir Arthur Heselrige at home!) :'( :'(

Busy day tomorrow.

Andrew
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Steve J

Glad you're all set up and look forward to catching up with you and others tomorrow. I'm on GJ11 helping out Michael Leck and Co with their 'Battle of Stake game using 'The Pikemen's Lament' rules. Pop by and say hello if you have the chance.

pierre the shy

13 April 2018, 08:10:43 PM #112 Last Edit: 13 April 2018, 08:21:38 PM by pierre the shy
Welcome back D Guy - hope the vacation went well.

We played my interpretation of your original Tippermuir scenario last night in about 3 hours, ending up with pretty close to the historical result.

I based the game on the supposition that up to 6000 Covenant militia took to the field to oppose Montrose's 3000 strong army.

Montrose himself had to test for wounds after the Badenoch Levy he was leading on the right flank were destroyed while fighting against one of the Clackmannanshire levy units. He survived unharmed so the Royalist Captain-General's campaign in Scotland will continue.

I played the Covenanters and as in our first game my commanding general (Lord Elcho) had to make more than one emergency command moves when units he was with were defeated  :-[ For what its worth he also survived unscathed.

I will put up a separate battle report in due course.

The game only increased our belief that FK&P are a very good set of rules.

By using DGuy's house rules for bows and highlanders I'm convinced that FK&P cover the smaller 1644/45 battles in Scotland very well.

Now I just need to explain to Mrs Shy why I need yet more figures  ;)

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

Frustrating to hear that Sir Arthur decided not to make the trip, hopefully everything else goes well ;)

Quote from: pierre the shy on 13 April 2018, 08:10:43 PM
We played my interpretation of your original Tippermuir scenario last night in about 3 hours, ending up with pretty close to the historical result.
The game only increased our belief that FK&P are a very good set of rules.

It is a very good scenario with interesting challenges for both sides :)
While things turned out 'rather well' for the Royalists there were several moments where things could have gone decidedly wrong X_X

FK&P gave a great game, even though it was only our second game we rattled through the turns :-bd =D> :-bd
We only had to consult the quick reference sheet once or twice a turn and looked in the rule book once :-bd =D> :-bd
There were several great narrative moments and it gave a wonderful period feel :-bd =D> :-bd

d_Guy

Quote from: mollinary on 13 April 2018, 07:39:18 PM
Thanks guys!  Now relaxing in a hotel bar with a large glass of chilled S-B after a busy afternoon setting up. We have a prime pitch, right in the centre of the hall, and all looks great  (apart from the fact I left Sir Arthur Heselrige at home!) :'( :'(

Busy day tomorrow.

Andrew

No "Lobsters" for dinner then (or did they make it with out Sir Arthur)? :)
Have a great time!

d_Guy

Peter and Paul - obviously I love these rules and glad you are coming on board with them. To be honest, in the Tippermuir scenario with the "traditional" numbers my money would be on the Covenanter's (but only just). I'm anxious to see how things turn out with the randomized brigade activation attempts in my solo play version.

Look forward to seeing the full report.

Steve, thanks for your comments over at the blog. Have fun tomorrow as well.

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: d_Guy on 13 April 2018, 11:11:40 PM
Peter and Paul - obviously I love these rules and glad you are coming on board with them. To be honest, in the Tippermuir scenario with the "traditional" numbers my money would be on the Covenanter's (but only just). I'm anxious to see how things turn out with the randomized brigade activation attempts in my solo play version.

Look forward to seeing the full report.

Steve, thanks for your comments over at the blog. Have fun tomorrow as well.

Be interested to hear about your randomised ( :)) brigade activation goes after you've played with it.

d_Guy

;D
Yes I saw there was an entire thread devoted to British vs correct spelling while I was gone.  ;)

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

d_Guy

I did my own Tippermuir replay yesterday and Montrose lost! My solo play mechanics seemed to be the root cause of the failure and I plan to do another replay WITHOUT my additional "friction" being added (which i'll put in their own Batrep thread).

The (brief) Batrep and pics are here:
https://inredcoatragsattired.com/2018/04/15/hotte-alarumes-and-continuall-fyre-the-battle-of-tippermuir-1644/

Here is a pic at the height of the action looking south toward Lamberkein Ridge:

And an overall view toward the end of the game where the Royalist still have a slight chance of winning:

In the mean time I'm sure many are now recovering from Salute and all went well.