For King and Parliament publishing update

Started by d_Guy, 12 February 2018, 07:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

For King and Parliament publishing update:
https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DtssAOTqVJxk&data=02%7C01%7C%7C86513906de514ea92a2108d5724a8847%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636540586791170667&sdata=0p02FBwN29fILu5xzfoRmZweGp6LSs0zso4YYP686Q0%3D&reserved=0

Wargames Illustrated recent vid interview with Simon Miller (who is quick to mention that he is the co-designer with our on Mollinary).
Sleep with clean hands ...

mollinary

Thanks Bill,

Simon sure is a smooth talking Bar Steward!  Surely Hollywood beckons?

Andrew
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

paulr

An interesting interview with several mentions of 10mm and even Pendraken :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Thanks for the link and an interesting interview, with lots of mentions of 'scales' other than 28mm. Really looking forward to seeing the game at Salute and hopefully picking up the rulebook if it's ready by then.

far4ngn

Yes, good interview and great looking 28mm Bicorne miniatures.  Never been keen on grid based wargames, but may have to give this a try.

Westmarcher

Beautiful miniatures, indeed. He mentioned using chits(?) instead of playing cards for the smaller scales but could probably try using smaller sized playing cards. Here's a link to some of the more reasonably priced ones available (there's a Coca-Cola set elsewhere for £6 odd!) :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Playing-Keyring-Plastic-Useful-Travel/dp/B00IFNZ4D2/ref=pd_cp_21_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MQAB0ZK4GSVHP216DESW
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

mollinary

Quote from: Westmarcher on 13 February 2018, 10:29:59 PM
Beautiful miniatures, indeed. He mentioned using chits(?) instead of playing cards for the smaller scales but could probably try using smaller sized playing cards. Here's a link to some of the more reasonably priced ones available (there's a Coca-Cola set elsewhere for £6 odd!) :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Playing-Keyring-Plastic-Useful-Travel/dp/B00IFNZ4D2/ref=pd_cp_21_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MQAB0ZK4GSVHP216DESW

I have used half and quarter sized cards as well, but found when I was using a 3"grid for my 6mm figures, that chits for activations and cards for combat worked very well.

Mollinary

Westmarcher

13 February 2018, 10:57:23 PM #7 Last Edit: 13 February 2018, 11:00:38 PM by Westmarcher
What are the chits like? (what kind of chits were used?)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

mollinary

Simon sells sets of 80 chits, numbered form ace to 10, together with court cards, and some ammo markers, on his web shop bigredbatshop. They are 2mm mdf.  I just  bung them in a cup or bag, and draw out at need. I have two sets, one coloured red and one blue, using felt  tip pens. They are less obtrusive than the cards, but serve the purpose of marking the last draw on a unit, so you can return later and still see what the highest draw was.

Mollinary

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Quote from: Westmarcher on 13 February 2018, 10:29:59 PM

I have used some very small playing cards with To the Strongest. The chits look better and are less intrusive.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

Quote from: Leman on 14 February 2018, 05:16:28 PM
The chits look better and are less intrusive.
While I like the drama of playing cards (Texas Hold'em, that sort of thing), chits have proven a better way to go for my 10mm games. I use 100mm squares and tried using small cards first but in addition to being hard to handle they still take up to much surface area. The other plus, as you mentioned, is chits are much less intrusive and you don't have to take them up for a quick photo during the action.

Happily, card, chits, or even d10 dice can be used in TtS! or FK&P. Depending on which are used (and specifically for what) probabilities change slightly (which is a bonus I think).
Sleep with clean hands ...

Steve J

I too like using the cards as it's damned quick. I've had no problem tracking units on a board with normal sized playing cards, as I just put them off table, in line with the troops and in descending order. Works for me.

Bunny

Obviously not played FKAP but have played TtS.

We did use cards and they were ok but I think for me it will work better with a D10 and number tokens.  I feel it will be just as fast and the tokens will take up less space than the cards and visually will look better.

Just my thoughts....also there are 20 sided D10s which will add to the random factor.

Leman

Although I am no mathematical expert it should be remembered that a D10 will give random numbers each turn, whereas with a pool of chits or cards the chances of a particular number coming up diminishes as it is taken from the pool and placed, ie once a 2 has been placed there are only 7 more 2s in the pool, but 8 of each of the other numbers. This gives rise to considerations about whether to chance taking another chit or not, whereas with a dice roll the chance of getting the same number is the same with each roll.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!