BBC Troy

Started by SV52, 12 February 2018, 09:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider4

Quote from: Orcs on 19 February 2018, 09:34:15 AM
Zeus was black - no problem with that, but Helen his daughter was absolutely Caucasian!!!!!.  She should have been at least mixed race.

Well, he could have been a white swan . . .

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I really enjoyed it.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

We watched the film version with Brad Pitt last night, just for something to watch. Visually impressive but obviously misses loads of stuff out. Also ordered the Robert Fagle translation as recommended by d-Guy :)

fsn

I shall stick to my much battered EV Rieu.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

I figured you for an Alexander Pope guy.  :-\
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

toxicpixie

I do enjoy the film. Release the giant flaming balls of twine!

Saw 1st episode of the Beeb one. Couldn't careless about the actors races. Was let down by pretty stolid and very worthy but dull acting & pacingdirectoon. Shame, as the look of it is very nicely done and the story should crackle and pop. Orlando Bloom might have been as wooden as his bow, but Eric Bananarama could carry the film. Sadly no ones stepped up like that in the series. Ms. Toxic is very unimpressed, but I'll give episode 2 a chance if I I can bag the tv privileges and see if it gets better :D

I do like that they made the stirrups look ropey and rather ad hoc. Suspect someone got narked about having to have them :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

fsn

Quote from: d_Guy on 20 February 2018, 07:43:33 PM
I figured you for an Alexander Pope guy.  :-
:P Once you've read CS Forrester, there's no going back.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

urbancohort

;D
Quote from: Ithoriel on 12 February 2018, 12:00:22 PM
Troy: An Everyday Story Of Everyday Fighting Folk

Priam Archer discovers his barn is infested with Myrmidons and Jason and Oedipus Grundii offer to deal with them for a very reasonable fee ... WCGW?

Helen Archer elopes to Paris with her lover and her husband races to Dover to cross the wine dark Channel in pursuit.

Rhadamanthus Tichener returns from The Underworld to raise an army .. and the show's ratings.

As you can see, after "Atlantis" and "Merlin", I have high hopes for this series :D
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

d_Guy

Quote from: fsn on 20 February 2018, 09:13:21 PM
:P Once you've read CS Forrester, there's no going back.  ;D
True that. I read "The Ship" every five years and, like you, want to wargame the Med in 1940. Same with "The General" and I want to buy a Sedan chair and continue to climb the rank ladder at Pendraken Forum.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

FierceKitty

Quote from: d_Guy on 18 February 2018, 10:05:47 PM
FWIW, I like Robert Fagles's translation. If you get the audio version, Derek Jacobi is the reader and does quite a good job (uses multiple voices) - brings it to life.

Jacobi could read out a telephone directory and make it sound good!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

toxicpixie

It's all gone a bit Black Books!

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

DanJ

QuoteIt's all gone a bit Black Books!

Now that was the last truly original and funny comedy series on TV! I actually cried laughing when....  actually I robably shouldn't say when, but it did involve Bill Bailey and a piano

toxicpixie

Green Wing is also very good - I missed it first time round, but we watched the lot in a couple of weeks recently and it's been very funny!

We may now return to discussing the rather dull Troy ;)

Leman

One of my favourite Black Books moments was when the two JWs knocked at the door and were confronted by Bill Bailey in a long white gown.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

paulr

Quote from: DanJ on 21 February 2018, 09:27:08 AM
Now that was the last truly original and funny comedy series on TV! I actually cried laughing when.... 

Seconded, cried laughing more than once
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!