BBC Troy

Started by SV52, 12 February 2018, 09:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SV52

Too many cut scenes away from the action, who cares about the various domestic issues.  Some good stuff in it from the cast though, especially Achilles' 'attitude'.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

FierceKitty

I sing the attitude of Achilles....hmmm, not sure this is ready for reciting, Mr Homer.....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Dull was an understatement Dan! Did let me get on with Sassanid cavalry though.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

SV52

Quote from: FierceKitty on 07 March 2018, 05:25:24 PM
I sing the attitude of Achilles....hmmm, not sure this is ready for reciting, Mr Homer.....

In the original Greek I hope.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

d_Guy

Quote from: FierceKitty on 07 March 2018, 05:25:24 PM

..obnoxious and entitled attitude that sent many Achaeans to the house of drink... Homer Simpson
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Ithoriel

Quote from: Steeleye on 28 February 2018, 06:23:01 AM
Episode One; Very slow.

Episode Two; Not as slow and slightly more interesting.

Episode Three: ???????

I think Episode three will be the deal breaker...or not. I think it'll show where they intend to go with the rest of the series.

Also, is it me or does Troy appear a bit too BIG?

Episode Three: Turgid!

Though to be fair, Troy was a big city for the period. Currently estimated at around 10,000 of a population, assuming that Homer's Troy was Troy 6 and/or Troy 7. Puts it on a par with Thebes/ Athens/ Tiryns but only about a third of the size of Mycenae on current best estimates.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

toxicpixie

Congrats Ithoriel, you're now massively more interesting than the show with that tit bit of info!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

DanJ

QuoteIt's like a bad mash up of "proppa historicals" and " proppa miffic", which has somehow taken all the excitement out and replaced it with, errr, dunno.

I think you've hit the nail on the head; Homer is about great and heroic actions against the mighty backdrop of "high walled Ilium" even Achilles's sulk was mighty and heroic.  The BBC series fails to inspire, it's written more in the 'kitchen sink' tradition of British drama than in the Shakespearian tradition of great but flawed and tragic heros.

mollinary

I could forgive it everything if only it had something, anything, that triggered a spark of interest. To quote Blackadder it moves with the pace "of an asthmatic ant with some heavy shopping".  For me, if it has a redeeming feature, it is Zeus. He sits there with a look of intense boredom and puzzlement  on his face, stunned by the ludicrous actions of gods and mortals that unfold  before him.  He is Everyman, and I sympathise with him!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

"The Oddity" by Ithoriel of Ionia

I tell a tale of heroes bold
It's setting is the days of old
In days when Noah was a boy
Our heroes set a course for Troy
What's the premise for our story?
Was it greed or lust for glory?
Or, is the cause of all this strife
Seduction of another's wife?
It started with the squabbling gods
Three godesses were quite at odds
So mighty Zeus bid Paris grapple
With who should have the golden apple.
Thus Paris, thanks to Aphrodite,
Wound up with Helen (rather flighty),
She was fed up with her old man
So off to Troy the lovers ran.
What follows is a tale of slaughter,
The sacrificing of a daughter,
The endless battles on the plain,
To walls, to ships and back again.
Of love, betrayal and deception
With meddling gods from the inception.
And crowning all, we have ,of course,
The story of the Trojan Horse.
All the excitement there could be
Made deadly dull, Dear BBC!
A story of so many splendours
Now Bronze Age version of Eastenders. :(

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Steve J

Matt J

love it!  ;D

you are a talented fellow!
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Techno

Excellent, Mike !!

As I haven't been able to bear (bare ?......Help, Kitty)  to watch that particular prog for decades and decades now.....I take your comments on board.

Cheers - Phil.

DanJ

Absolutely brilliant  :D

One bit I did quite like was at the start of the battle scene where all the soldiers are rushing to get at each other and the Gods are seen walking through the armies bestowing their blessings on their favourite heroes.

FierceKitty

"Bare" is my act. In your current cold spell, it isn't advisable.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.