BBC Troy

Started by SV52, 12 February 2018, 09:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SV52

8-part series starts 17th February.  £2million quid an episode apparently.  As it's all entirely fiction, shouldn't cause a stir among the hobby fraternity  =O
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Steve J

Cool, something to look forward to, as well as compare to the film.

Ithoriel

Troy: An Everyday Story Of Everyday Fighting Folk

Priam Archer discovers his barn is infested with Myrmidons and Jason and Oedipus Grundii offer to deal with them for a very reasonable fee ... WCGW?

Helen Archer elopes to Paris with her lover and her husband races to Dover to cross the wine dark Channel in pursuit.

Rhadamanthus Tichener returns from The Underworld to raise an army .. and the show's ratings.

As you can see, after "Atlantis" and "Merlin", I have high hopes for this series :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

Isn't "troy" something Black Country folks carry their tea-mugs on?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

... and "Priam" something Cockneys transport their babies in?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

d_Guy

£2M per episode to tell the story of economic hard times in a small city in up-state New York seems lavish indeed.
Sleep with clean hands ...

mollinary

Quote from: d_Guy on 12 February 2018, 04:06:12 PM
£2M per episode to tell the story of economic hard times in a small city in up-state New York seems lavish indeed.

Whereas for a series setting out the merits of an alternative system to the ubiquitous avoirdupois it seems eminently reasonable!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Raider4

12 February 2018, 04:53:33 PM #7 Last Edit: 12 February 2018, 05:02:10 PM by Raider4
Will it be done in the style of the earlier BBC2 series Rome (i.e. lots of swearing, nudity, sex & violence)? Or is it going to be more 'family-friendly', more like the style of, say, The Last Kingdom?

Will it erase the memory of that fairly ropey Brad Pitt/Eric Bana movie?

Edit: Just seen the schedule, 9:10 on Friday Saturday evening, BBC1 - this I find very surprising. It has BBC2 written all over it.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Raider4 on 12 February 2018, 04:53:33 PM
Will it be done in the style of the earlier BBC2 series Rome (i.e. lots of swearing, nudity, sex & violence)? Or is it going to be more 'family-friendly', more like the style of, say, The Last Kingdom?

I'm hoping for the former but expecting the latter, to be honest. I thought Rome was brilliant and Last Kingdom as dull as ditchwater.

As to the film, it owed more to Jackson's LotR trilogy than to Homer's epics so I'm assuming that the BBC's latest offering will, at least, be no worse!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

d_Guy

Quote from: mollinary on 12 February 2018, 04:42:35 PM
Whereas for a series setting out the merits of an alternative system to the ubiquitous avoirdupois it seems eminently reasonable!

More than an ounce of truth here!

d_Guy

In looking at the trailers for BBC' s Troy I found one for "The Terror" (Dan Simmon's novel about the Franklin Expidetion) coming up on AMC
(Ridley Scott). Ships, Uniforms, etc. look very well done.

I'm a fan of Homer (both of them) and thought Brad Pitt's Achilles was better than Lt. Chard's Achilles (in Helen of Troy). It's interesting that both movies put the Greeks in red and the Trojans in blue (more or less). I'm a told this was done so that we Americans could  tell who was on which side. I think it's more like our theory in 10mm that "bright colors work better".

I'll likely watch the BBC version (but didn't see any reds and blues). Incidently the actor who played Julius Caesar in HBO Rome is apparently playing Franklin in The Terror (but I could be wrong).

fsn

I do hope the Beeb will put the heroes in appropriate armour.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Bren

David Gyasi playing Achilles  :-

Who know Achilles was black? Homer didn't mention that in the Illiad, at least not in the translation I read. Typical BBC, sacrificing all at the altar of diversity and historical revisionism.

d_Guy

Quote from: fsn on 13 February 2018, 08:34:27 PM
I do hope the Beeb will put the heroes in appropriate armour.

Looks very much like my neighbor last summer when he went forth to contend with a large hornet's nest.

mollinary

Quote from: Bren on 13 February 2018, 09:02:52 PM
David Gyasi playing Achilles  :-

Who know Achilles was black? Homer didn't mention that in the Illiad, at least not in the translation I read. Typical BBC, sacrificing all at the altar of diversity and historical revisionism.

This is a Saturday night entertainment show based on a 3,000 year old myth. Where does 'historical' revisionism come into it?  How is using a black actor to portray Achilles 'sacrificing all'?   Was 'all sacrificed' when Laurence Olivier played the Mahdi in Khartoum? Perhaps it would be OK if this actor 'whited up' to play Achilles?   Oh, by the way, Zeus and Aeneas seem to be played by black actors as well! If you don't like it, don't watch it.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!