New Army for the WSS

Started by sunjester, 10 February 2018, 04:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunjester

10 February 2018, 04:16:56 PM Last Edit: 10 February 2018, 04:45:51 PM by sunjester
In the latter part of 2017 I found myself in that common wargamer's situation, that of pondering what to do next. After all, I only had 3 major projects on the go and they were all nearing completion (or at least what would pass for completion until I saw something new and shiny for them). So I decided to construct an opponent for my War of the Spanish Succession French army. There was no desperate need for this, three guys at my local club have opposition armies, but, having been caught out in the past, I now make it my policy to have a usable force for both sides in any period/scale I collect. all three opponents were geared towards the Northern European theatres, being an Anglo-Dutch army, an all-British army and an Imperialist army. After staging a re-fight of the Battle of Almanza earlier in the year, I was rather taken with the somewhat neglected Spanish theatre for this war, so decided to base my new army there. The Confederate effectively had two field armies in the peninsular, one based in Portugal and one based in Catalonia. I decided to go for the army based in Catalonia, as I had already had 5 battalions of Catalan infantry.

I've started to chronicle my efforts on my blog http://grahamsgaming.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/a-confederate-army-for-war-of-spanish.html
The first few posts should be quick to get online, as I already have some of the units finished, or at least just requiring basing.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Hwiccee

Nice start to a good project and an interesting theatre.

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd

I look forward to seeing this progress

Have you 'completed' the other 3 projects ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

I can only applaud doing armies for both sides. Much easier to accomplish in 10mm or smaller. After relocating from areas with multiple wargame opponents, I was caught out by having virtually no opposition for my various 25/28mm armies. Part of the reason I switched to 10mm was to remedy that.

I already follow your blog and will continue to watch your progress.
Sleep with clean hands ...

FierceKitty

To your friend and humble narrator, it's always seemed the automatic choice to get at least one opponent for every army I raise.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

sunjester

Thank you gents. I know it's unlikely to lose all three gaming buddies at once, but Last Hussar may be relocating at some point. I realised this was the only period/scale where I didn't have enough of both sides to play a game.

paulr - "Have you 'completed' the other 3 projects?"     Of course not!  ;D I still need more scenery for my 28mm Bootleggers/Pulp game, I've got a unit of pigmies to paint for my 28mm Darkest Africa and I need to get more generals and dismounted cavalry for both sides in my 10mm ACW armies.

Techno

Excellent !

(I'll swear some posts are 'slipping under the radar', when I log in and click "Posts since your last visit".....Should have seen this before..... Probably me being a Muppet.  :'()

Cheers - Phil

Womble67

Coming on nicely

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

DFlynSqrl

Nice start!  Always good to have two armies.  I do have the fortune of having gaming buddies for things like sci-fi and fantasy, but to get in a historical game I pretty much have to paint all the armies involved to get anyone to play.  Like D_Guy that was part of my decision to make the switch to 10mm.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Techno on 11 February 2018, 11:18:37 AM
Excellent !

Probably me being a Muppet :'()

Cheers - Phil

That's not true, Muppets are useful and funny !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

11 February 2018, 06:26:38 PM #11 Last Edit: 11 February 2018, 07:50:01 PM by fsn
Techno in his finery.

Rethreading the topic ...

Are you going to make the flags a bit more "wavy"?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

;D ;D

"Wavy" like Techno's hair?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Orcs

I am still waiting for him to complete the flags for his French, has has omitted all Kings colours.... I wonder why  ;)

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

sunjester

I'm not going to play orcs with a French army with white flags! That's asking for trouble.