Illustrations of Moghuls in the Akbarnama

Started by Druzhina, 10 February 2018, 04:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Druzhina

"The Akbarnama (Book of Akbar) was commissioned by the emperor Akbar as the official chronicle of his reign. It was written by his court historian and biographer Abu'l Fazl between 1590 and 1596 and is thought to have been illustrated between about 1592 and 1594 by at least 49 different artists from Akbar's studio. After Akbar's death in 1605, the manuscript remained in the library of his son, Jahangir (r. 1605-1627) and later Shah Jahan (r.1628-1658). The Victoria and Albert Museum purchased it in 1896 from Mrs Frances Clarke, the widow of Major-General John Clarke, who bought it in India while serving as Commissioner of Oudh between 1858 and 1862."

Illustrations of Moghul soldiers in the Akbarnama (painted 1590-95), with some notes of some unusual inclusions:
1535-Flight of Sultan Bahadur During Humayun's Campaign in Gujarat. (Firefighting equipment).
1561-Adham Khan pays homage to Akbar at Sarangpur. (A leopard carried on a palanquin).
1561-Bairam Khan is assassinated by an Afghan at Patan. (Infantry and light cavalry)
1561-Akbar riding the elephant Hawa'I pursuing another elephant across a collapsing pontoon bridge of boats.
1561-The Capture of Fort Mertha (Mirtha) Jodhpur, in Rajasthan, by Mirza Sharaf ad-Din Husain. Cavalry using a mace two-handed).
1561-The Victory of Khan Zaman (Ali Quli Khan) on the river Gomti (or Jumna). (Boat with 2 cannon on pivots).
1564-The Heroic Death in Battle of Rani Durgavati, ruler of the Gond Kingdom. (Gond cavalry in distinctive helmets).
1567-A mine explodes during the siege of Chitor. (Sappers building siege fortifications behind a screen).
1568-Bullocks dragging siege-guns up hill during the attack on Ranthambhor Fort.
1569-Akbar's forces besieging Rai Surjan Hada's fort of Ranthambhor. (Long small calibre cannon mounted on legs).
1572-Battle of Patan. The Victory of Qutb ad-Din Khan over Muhammad Husain Mirza at Gujarat. (Armoured war-elephants).
1573-Muhammad Husain Mirza Brought Prisoner Before Akbar. (A variety of helmets).
1576-Daud Shah of Bengal is Taken Prisoner. (Rear views of cavalry armour).
Akbar Hunting Black Buck with Trained Cheetahs, Akbarnama. (A bullock cart).
and many others with elephants, cavalry and infantry.

Mirror site:
Illustrations of Moghuls soldiers in the Akbarnama

Druzhina
Moghul Illustrations of Costume and Soldiers

Techno

Lovely !

I'll have to come back and have a more thorough 'peruse' a bit later.

Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

What a set of illustrations for a ruleset those would be....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner