BEF tank Colours

Started by Orcs, 04 February 2018, 08:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

04 February 2018, 08:51:08 AM Last Edit: 04 February 2018, 08:56:09 AM by Orcs
Hi All,

I am just about to start painting some BEF tanks (in 10mm and 20mm).  The question I have is regarding the colour scheme on Light and Cruiser tanks. I have the Blitzkrieg" book on camouflage by Zaloga,and "Tanks of the blitzkrieg era" by BT White.  both of these refer to the Two colour camo using a darker and mid range green,  they refer to the lighter green as "rarely used" .  

However both Plastic soldier company and Flames of war refer to a "Cruiser Green". Is this just incorrect or is there a reliable source for using this colour?   Cheers

Orcs
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Orcs

Or is it of dubious value like the brown camo they suggest on the early war Germans

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Mine were cruiser Green, it's a little Light but worked well
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I used Valjero "gunship green" as the base, with cammo in military green. The gas patches are lemon yellow.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Subedai

This might help.

http://www.mafva.net/other%20pages/starmer%20camo.htm
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Steve J

"British Army Colours & Disruptive Camouflage in the United Kingdom, France & NW Europe 1936 - 45 by Nigel Starmer " is the best book on the subject, with colour chips and colour recipes in the back.

Orcs

Quote from: Steve J on 04 February 2018, 01:01:27 PM
"British Army Colours & Disruptive Camouflage in the United Kingdom, France & NW Europe 1936 - 45 by Nigel Starmer " is the best book on the subject, with colour chips and colour recipes in the back.
Yes but that's as rare as Rocking horse manure

NTM

I believe it is readily available direct from Mike Starmer using the contact email on the Matador models website.

Terry37

Yep, the Starmer books are the best and absolutely excellent. I have all of his books and love them. And the paint chips are a real blessing to work with. Of course I scale the colors down a bit to account for the scale I am doing but what a wealth of material! And so reasonably priced too.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Steve J

Yep, I ordered mine direct from Mike Starmer. Extremely good value and just full of loads of useful info.

Subedai

Quote from: Subedai on 04 February 2018, 11:41:34 AM
This might help.

http://www.mafva.net/other%20pages/starmer%20camo.htm

This is the Starmer article...or at least one of the Starmer articles. For specific colours or shades I would just call up images on Google and find a colour you like. That's what I have done and filed them for when I get around to painting my 6mm chaps.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Orcs

Email sent to Mike Starmer.

Orcs

Mike Starmer replied this morning, and ordered the relevant book via PayPal.  Thanks a lot everyone

Orcs

Steve J

Glad you've been able to get a copy. I've found it so useful over the years and hope you do too.

Womble67

My guide for Painting World War II British hope it helps.

As always, comments are appreciated.

Take care

Andy

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!