To snip or not to snip, that is the question!

Started by MAgamer, 12 February 2018, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAgamer

I'm looking at my bag of 30 Chaussuers a Cheval. Lovely figs they are too! So as the title suggests, for 1815 do I snip all the plumes off except for the officer/musician? Or do I paint them up as they come and put it down to a rich officer wanting his regiment to flourish on parade days?
Does this really matter or have I spent too much time reading on a certain (popular) Napoleonic board elsewhere on the internet?
Has anyone done this with their own cav with a handy link to a picture? I'm only obsessing on such a small decision because I am a big fan of the sculpts and don't want to needlessly start taking the snips to the poor boys.
Cheers MA

FierceKitty

Would that a few major religions would seriously ask that question.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Zippee

Everyone looks better with a plume.

As there are no 1815 French infantry, I think plumed Chasseurs are probably the least of your problems  :D

jimduncanuk

They are your figures, paint them as you wish.

I would leave the plumes on.
My Ego forbids a signature.

toxicpixie

Is your playing group going to moan so much about it you can't enjoy using them? If so, clip 'em.

If not, leave them on - they do help on table as an easy visual identifier for the unit anyway, so they're probably handy :D

Plus they're pretty!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Steve J

Go with what looks best to you as they are your figures afterall.

Westmarcher

I've had the snips and it made no difference .... wait .... we're talking about something else here, aren't we?  :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Subedai

Your chaps, your call. Personally, I would leave them on for the reasons mentioned above.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Dr Dave

I'd look at what they had on at Waterloo - if that's what you're doing?

IIRC on the 18th June 1815 it was plumes off - so snip, snip, snip.

MAgamer

Thanks for the replies everyone!
I checked in on the posts yesterday, I had a long afternoon free and so I planned to do some painting. . .
I looked at the posts. . . Back at the bag of Chausseurs. . . Back at the posts .  . . I picked a trooper out of he bag and looked at him veeery closely. . . Back at the posts. . . Picked up the snips. . . Back at the figures. . . Put down the snips .  .  . Then I decided!
I painted 3 battalions of French infantry and a foot battery instead.
I think I will snip the plumes off and leave the officers on so I get a bit of both.
I am preparing Waterloo era forces for both sides Dr Dave, no gaming group though just myself Gd'A and a very patient and condoning long term girlfriend (who somehow manages to "feign" complete disinterest whilst mopping the floor with me whatever rules, era, type of game we play).
I had a productive day avoiding the problem though- 12 stands of infantry (small battalions) (72 figs) and 3 guns, 12 crew. All painted and based.
If I finish of the 5 skirmish bases (15 figs) today then all I have left in my pendraken bag will be the French Cav and the BHA limber. So not much procrastination available to stop those snips being picked up. I will post pictures of my Chaussuers along with medical notes for them once I am done.
Cheers all
MA

Orcs

Quote from: Westmarcher on 12 February 2018, 04:07:34 PM
I've had the snips and it made no difference .... wait .... we're talking about something else here, aren't we?  :P

I would beg to differ.  It means that you are less likely to get caught out!
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

Big difference between the snip that is motivated by responsible concern for an overburdened ecosystem, and the child-molestation practised by religious zealots with no regard for male rights.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.