My Great Northern War Blog...

Started by jaztez, 30 January 2018, 08:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Hwiccee

Quote from: toxicpixie on 01 February 2018, 03:24:08 PM
Sorry, Hwiccie is Nick Dorrell, one of the forum members - he's in the Pike and Shot society and partly responsible for the published version of their LoA era rules - Twilight of the Sun King :)

Hi Jaztez,

First of all nice work on the figures and on your blog. Toxic was talking about me above.

I am not sure that Twilight of the Sun King will be for you as it is designed for large battles rather than a more tactical set like Pike and Shotte. But if you wanted to try them your basing would be fine. We use 10mm Pendraken at my club but we also do GNW demo's at shows in 6mm.

Just preparing the next one which will be a 'what if' battle in 1708 at a place called Horka. This was a real position taken up by the Russians to defend Moscow but the Swedes never attacked it, they had gone South to the Ukraine. In any case the attraction of doing it is that the Swedish army was the largest they ever had at this time so it is a chance to max out on them :)

In any case I will follow your progress and I am happy to help with info if you need it.

toxicpixie

Oo, Nick, does that mean you'll be demo'ing it at WMMS?

Hopefully we'll have more club members on our participation game this time so I might get to wander over for more than 90 seconds ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Hwiccee

Quote from: toxicpixie on 02 February 2018, 11:18:03 AM
Oo, Nick, does that mean you'll be demo'ing it at WMMS?

I am afraid probably not. The guy who has the 6mm figures and terrain actually lives in Kent. So we have shown the GNW games at Salute and the 6mm show in Sheffield. We are not going to bother with Salute any more and we will do a show between us and London instead - somewhere like Reading.

We have done 5 of these, Horka will be 6. Next year it will be Poltava, which will probably be the last new one for a while. I am hoping we will then try taking these to different shows, including WMMS.

Hopefully we'll have more club members on our participation game this time so I might get to wander over for more than 90 seconds ;)

Yes that will be good. Our club is doing a LOA game of Twilight of the Sun King in 28mm. I will probably be doing something on the P&S society stand - most likely ECW/TYW. I have a plan to make a double sided mat with Cherition from the ECW on one side and Fleurus from the TYW on the other. Just not sure if it will work :)

sunjester

These are looking really good, well done.

I like your ideas on basing. When we started our WSS project we went for six 20x20mm bases to give a unit frontage of 120mm, because that looked the best when we put the unit into march column. However, given how rarely I have used march column in our games, I wish I had gone for the wider bases now (it would also be quicker to move the units on the table). I suppose I could rebase the figures, but do I really fancy rebasing 70+ units? :-

fred.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

toxicpixie

Quote from: sunjester on 02 February 2018, 04:48:59 PM
These are looking really good, well done.

I like your ideas on basing. When we started our WSS project we went for six 20x20mm bases to give a unit frontage of 120mm, because that looked the best when we put the unit into march column. However, given how rarely I have used march column in our games, I wish I had gone for the wider bases now (it would also be quicker to move the units on the table). I suppose I could rebase the figures, but do I really fancy rebasing 70+ units? :-

No, but you can always get someone to cut you a 120mm wide by 20mm deep MDF sabot ;)

toxicpixie

Quote from: Hwiccee on 02 February 2018, 04:13:05 PM
I am afraid probably not. The guy who has the 6mm figures and terrain actually lives in Kent. So we have shown the GNW games at Salute and the 6mm show in Sheffield. We are not going to bother with Salute any more and we will do a show between us and London instead - somewhere like Reading.

We have done 5 of these, Horka will be 6. Next year it will be Poltava, which will probably be the last new one for a while. I am hoping we will then try taking these to different shows, including WMMS.

Yes that will be good. Our club is doing a LOA game of Twilight of the Sun King in 28mm. I will probably be doing something on the P&S society stand - most likely ECW/TYW. I have a plan to make a double sided mat with Cherition from the ECW on one side and Fleurus from the TYW on the other. Just not sure if it will work :)

If you're running *something* I'll aim to wander over and play a round or two; if it;s the 30YW/ECW mods that might be handy, might convince club members to join me in 2mm stuff for it!

jaztez

Hi, ah OK, thanks.

Could you clarify about the rules comment. I see pike and shotte as a set of rules for large battles, we regularly use twenty units or more a side in a three hour evening game, and don't even bother using the battalia break test rules.

I remember the original beneath the lily banners as being very detailed and much more tactical in focus? Perhaps it's changed or my memory is poor!

Quote from: Hwiccee on 02 February 2018, 11:09:19 AM
Hi Jaztez,

First of all nice work on the figures and on your blog. Toxic was talking about me above.

I am not sure that Twilight of the Sun King will be for you as it is designed for large battles rather than a more tactical set like Pike and Shotte. But if you wanted to try them your basing would be fine. We use 10mm Pendraken at my club but we also do GNW demo's at shows in 6mm.

Just preparing the next one which will be a 'what if' battle in 1708 at a place called Horka. This was a real position taken up by the Russians to defend Moscow but the Swedes never attacked it, they had gone South to the Ukraine. In any case the attraction of doing it is that the Swedish army was the largest they ever had at this time so it is a chance to max out on them :)

In any case I will follow your progress and I am happy to help with info if you need it.

My historical wargaming site: https://miniaturewar.games

Subedai

Quote from: Hwiccee on 02 February 2018, 04:13:05 PM

Any idea if the 6mm gentleman will be displaying his chaps at  Cavalier (Tonbridge) or Broadside (Sittingbourne)? I live in kent as well and would like a chat about his 6mm chaps.

Sorry, not trying to steal the threa, just interested.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Hwiccee

Quote from: jaztez on 02 February 2018, 08:07:08 PM
Hi, ah OK, thanks.

Could you clarify about the rules comment. I see pike and shotte as a set of rules for large battles, we regularly use twenty units or more a side in a three hour evening game, and don't even bother using the battalia break test rules.

I remember the original beneath the lily banners as being very detailed and much more tactical in focus? Perhaps it's changed or my memory is poor!

Sorry yes I meant large in terms of the size of the battle in real terms. I don't know Beneath/Under the Lily Banners well but I would say they are roughly the same complexity/tactical wise. Perhaps B/ULB is a bit more so I would guess you would use say 15 units a side under those rules, for a game similar to those you usually play.

In Twilight of the Sun King you would also use a similar number of units for a similar game as with B/ULB and Pike & Shotte but the difference is what the game is representing. With B/ULB and Pike and Shote you are a 'divisional' or 'wing' commander of a larger force or fighting a small action. With Twilight you are using the full army and smaller actions are not really possible. So all the GNW battles are 1 player a side in theory. Because the opponents of the Swedes, especially the Russians, usually outnumber them by 2, 3 or more to 1 it can be usefully to have 2 non Swedish players to manage the forces involved. I would certainly do the big battles like say Narva or Poltava as 1 Swedish player vs 2 Russian players.

Obviously because you are doing a larger real battle with a similar number of units, etc, the tactical detail in Twilight is a lot less than in the other 2 rules. That doesn't appeal to everyone but I love being in charge of the whole army :)

Hwiccee

Quote from: Subedai on 02 February 2018, 08:48:34 PM
Any idea if the 6mm gentleman will be displaying his chaps at  Cavalier (Tonbridge) or Broadside (Sittingbourne)? I live in kent as well and would like a chat about his 6mm chaps.

Sorry, not trying to steal the threa, just interested.

No problem on hijacking the thread.

In any case I suspect he/we won't be in a Kent show. He (his name is Per) isn't in a club and is short on time for gaming. We/I provide information and manpower for the games but we/I are over on the Welsh Borders/West Midlands area. Per is a big 6mm fan and so we will always do the Sheffield 6mm show. I think only 1 other is practical and given our geographical locations that is likely to be in the area between Kent and the West Midlands. I think this might change down the roads but.....

Not to worry though Per is a nice guy and has a blog here - https://rollaone.com/. I am sure he would be happy to help if you contact him via that.

jaztez

Thanks for the reply about the rules.

I might look into a copy of totsk to see what it can offer.

But I will add its perfectly possible to fight a whole battle with brigade, wing and army command using pike and shotte. Our club has done that every year for big all day games using armies of fifty plus units a side, with a conclusion in about four or five hours, so p&s definitely is an army set of rules as well.
My historical wargaming site: https://miniaturewar.games

toxicpixie

We used to play Pike & Shotte (with last Hussars amendments for WSS ish), and enjoyed it. But I really like Twilight for simplicity and size. Different flavour of game, different focus. Much easier to get an in Period feel without needing the raft of special rules P&S used to tool box things :)