July means Kursk!

Started by Norm, 01 July 2018, 09:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Thanks for the comments at the blog Steve. You are right, it is the very location of the VP hexes that makes the task so difficult.

There is a good argument for all the forces to attack over open ground away from the woods, ensuring that the Soviet tanks and HMG (i.e ranged weapons) are destroyed quickly, since the actual Soviet Airborne squads have short ranged weapons and so being in the open is not as dangerous for the Germans as might otherwise be the case.

An advance through the woods probably plays into the Soviets hands - yep, plenty of ideas for a re-run :-)

I have a face-to-face figure game tomorrow (Pendraken 10mm) and then back to Dark July to do the big mapper! 

Norm

The face-to-face didn't quite work out .... I set the game up, but Mike was late, then I realised that we were not gaming this week - Doh!

played it anyway,

Another Kursk battle - Breaking the Line, this time using 10mm figures on 4"hex terrain. One of those games that didn't quite behave itself!

Blogged

https://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2018/07/kursk-month-breaking-line.html

Steve J

A one sided game, but that sometimes happens when the die Gods are against you!

Norm

This is the big one.

I played the large tank battle scenario from Lock 'n Loads Dark July module today.

Nice double mapper and a good demonstration as to how this infantry centric game handles armour so well, with 17 tanks initially on the table.

Observations and AAR over on my blog. LINK
https://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2018/07/kursk-month-midday-counterattack.html

Steve J

An great AAR Norm :). You certainly captured the feel of an open and fluid battle out on the Russian steppe.. Nice to see the game on a larger board as well. Keep up the good work!

Norm

Thanks Steve, even though in reality this was a one mapper stretched into  a two map area, the visual trick to the eye was that the tank gun ranges and manoeuvre capabilities seemed more realistic. It was a good opportunity to get another perspective on this system.

Norm

Played the final scenario from the lock n' load Dark July supplement, which covers the Kursk battles.

This scenario moves to the northern shoulder and the interesting battle of Ponyri. Know to those that fought there as Little Stalingrad, this scenario covers the fight for the School and Tractor Station.

Observations and replay notes over at my blog - LINK
https://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2018/07/kursk-month-front-porsche.html

Steve J

Thanks Norm for yet another great AAR and this one sounded a really good game, full of loads of action. I like the idea of some unknown/random events, which I might try an incorporate in my BKCII games.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

So, what's the plan for the eleven months of the year?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Norm

Quote from: Steve J on 25 July 2018, 09:18:08 PM
Thanks Norm for yet another great AAR and this one sounded a really good game, full of loads of action. I like the idea of some unknown/random events, which I might try an incorporate in my BKCII games.

Thanks Steve, the Special Events worked very well, two out of the three made me smile .... through gritted teeth!

Norm

Quote from: mad lemmey on 25 July 2018, 09:28:24 PM
So, what's the plan for the eleven months of the year?

Well, I could do Ardennes for December and rest up between now and then :-)

Seriously, I have not done a themed month before, but it provides great focus and made me set a gaming pace that I doubt I would have achieved otherwise and of course my handle on the rule system is now total ..... for now :-)

Malbork

Really enjoyed your Kursk month, Norm, even if I'm not a big boardgamer these days.

Plenty of ideas and inspiration.

Like the idea of the Ardennes in December :D