Help wanted - Lego bases

Started by fsn, 30 January 2018, 08:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Gentlemen.

I need to draw upon your collective intelligence - yes, I'm that desperate.

Lately I've been painting a lot of little aerplance from Tumbling Dice. I drill a hole in the areroplane, insert a length of florists wire, drill a hole in a small lego brick and attach.

The small lego brick can then be added with others onto lego plates to form flight bases of up to 6 aircraft. I use the spare pegs on the base for indicators of height and speed using other lego bricks.

Here's my problem. The bases look a bit nobbily. I'd like to cover them a bit, but retain the ability to add and remove bricks as required.

I was pondering covering each base with a thin material which will allow access to the pegs yet retain a modicum af aesthetics. I have tried cotton wool for a cloud effect which works, but everybody is flying over a cloud.

Any suggestions? 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

perhaps dye the cotton wool blue / green / brown to match your base cloth :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

Could you cut a piece of card with gaps for the wires, then slip it over the top of the base like a "hat"? If you need to add pegs on the back for status effects you can then take it off or use a smaller piece that doesn't cover the back?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

petercooman

Westmarcher

Lego bricks? Nothing helpful to add. Just be very careful!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Well - nice idea if you need to indicate altitude. I use a card base, with a piece of paperclip glued and fillered to it. To that add half a cotton bud tube (the bud makes a shell splash for naval games), with a piece of paper clip drilled and glued into the aircraft. WRANING - this wont work with the H&R B52.....
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Westmarcher

Ditch the lego. Use magnets or magnetic tape/paper to magnetise your bases & 'steel paper' for movement trays. Cut the steel paper to your required shape and paint it your desired colour (e.g., blue for sea, sand for desert, green for jungle, etc.). Stiffen bases with card if necessary. Magnetic Displays sell both plus plastic bases with tubes. Might also be ale to incorporate some of Ian's ideas using cotton buds, etc. See this link.

http://www.magneticdisplays.co.uk/accessories/basing/2%20-%20Plastic-base-20-25

Lego is vicious. Ask Thor.  ;D

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

O Dinas Powys

Glue 2x1 (or whatever is most useful size for your purpose) Lego plates onto an mdf base and fill/sculpt terrain around them?
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

toxicpixie

Westmarcher, I get the impression you were badly scared by lego at some point in your childhood!

It's ok, it's safe now, it's all in the storage boxes... I hope...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Westmarcher

;D ;D

Just a healthy respect, Nathan! :P

Off to see the psychiatrist now ....

toxicpixie

Oooo, if they prescribe anything interesting do share ;)

Makes the "knee deep in Lego and Num-Noms" aesthetic of my wee one inhabited front room much more bearable ;)

FSN, just to come back on track, flat blanking plates in applicable colours sounds good - I'm probably preaching to the choir but you can buy cheap sets of not-Lego in the bricks required (or even actual Lego) from a variety of places on t'internet...

fred.

Quote from: O Dinas Powys on 30 January 2018, 10:23:27 AM
Glue 2x1 (or whatever is most useful size for your purpose) Lego plates onto an mdf base and fill/sculpt terrain around them?

I like this idea
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

How about a printed aerial view glued to an MDF base with a transparent Lego base plate glued on top?

You could even use the satellite image from Google maps and have them fighting over you house.  ;D ;D

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

petercooman

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 30 January 2018, 06:33:50 PM

You could even use the satellite image from Google maps and have them fighting over you house.  ;D ;D

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

i'm pretty sure there is a no-fly-zone over his house....