Marching late colonial Brits

Started by urbancohort, 24 January 2018, 08:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbancohort

Been rereading Pakenham's history of the Boer War.

As it happens, I am old enough to have spoken with a Boer War veteran when I was a kid... (No purpose to that, just wanted to tell you all! I also knew a WW1 Fighter Ace...)

In the earlier battles, many of the generals and Colonels decided it would be a great idea to march the Tommies up to the point of attack in Column... with terrible results for the pbi.

Could we consider doing some Late Colonial Soldiers in marching pose - I also think they'd be useful for NW Frontier scenarios?

Many thanks
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

Ace of Spades

Could it be BW41, 'British foot marching' would fit the bill?

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Dr Dave

If your doing the Boer War you should read " Komandos, Kruger and kak". Puts the war in a whole new light... 

Ace of Spades

Who wrote that book? Might be interesting indeed...

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Dr Dave

K,K&K is by a chap Called Chris Ash.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kruger-Kommandos-Kak-Debunking-Myths/dp/1920143998

Its a cracking read and came in for some scathing reviews - because he paints a pretty grim picture of the Boers (the baddies). He argues that the scramble for Africa / goodbye dolly grey books are all nonsense written during the pacifist / leftist lead revisionist history write ups of WW1 - and the Boer War got the same treatment. He then examines the war, doctrine, tactics and battles using first hand accounts and is able to explode much of what has been written. If you planning on the Boer War then you must get this book.

Leman

Interestingly I have just contributed on another forum, when someone churned out the old chestnut, lions led by donkeys. I don't think there is too much of a coincidence between the revisionist approach to WWI in the 60s, the Cuban missile crisis, Vietnam and the summer of love.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Dr Dave

Alan Clarke admitted that he made up the lion lead by donkeys quote. I despise him for that

Raider4

Quote from: Dr Dave on 28 January 2018, 05:41:48 PM

. . . Its a cracking read and came in for some scathing reviews . . .
Looks like the reviews are either 1 or 5 stars - nowt in between. People are reviewing it based on whether they agree with his arguments & conclusions.

Cheers, M.
--

fred.

Most of the 1 stars seem to disagree with his approach - their argument seems to be that he has a theory and is selecting facts that reinforce it.

The 5 stars seem to like that he is disagreeing with the Afrikaans version of history.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Dr Dave

They are quite funny to read. You can almost see someone fuming as they write their review on the veldt from the back of their pony!  ;D

Leman

Quote from: fred. on 29 January 2018, 07:17:49 PM
Most of the 1 stars seem to disagree with his approach - their argument seems to be that he has a theory and is selecting facts that reinforce it.

The 5 stars seem to like that he is disagreeing with the Afrikaans version of history.
Where's FK when you need him?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

urbancohort

Quote from: Ace of Spades on 26 January 2018, 12:47:39 PM
Could it be BW41, 'British foot marching' would fit the bill?

Cheers,
Rob

Thanks Rob: Minus 100 for detective ability; good job I am retiring soon! ;D

urbancohort

Quote from: Dr Dave on 28 January 2018, 05:41:48 PM
K,K&K is by a chap Called Chris Ash.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kruger-Kommandos-Kak-Debunking-Myths/dp/1920143998

Its a cracking read and came in for some scathing reviews - because he paints a pretty grim picture of the Boers (the baddies). He argues that the scramble for Africa / goodbye dolly grey books are all nonsense written during the pacifist / leftist lead revisionist history write ups of WW1 - and the Boer War got the same treatment. He then examines the war, doctrine, tactics and battles using first hand accounts and is able to explode much of what has been written. If you planning on the Boer War then you must get this book.

that looks good, I am a fan of these 'debunking' type books to set records straight.

FierceKitty

Quote from: Leman on 29 January 2018, 10:00:19 PM
Where's FK when you need him?

I am 25% Afrikaans, 75% rooinek (= Limey), so have severely divided loyalties.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ben Waterhouse

Arma Pacis Fulcra