My New Project for 2018

Started by bigjackmac, 16 January 2018, 01:30:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The blue taj tanks I thought were a branch out into fantasy!!

All looking good Jack
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Womble67

coming on nicely

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

23 January 2018, 09:00:47 AM #47 Last Edit: 23 January 2018, 09:07:30 AM by toxicpixie
I love the Caspian Sea Monster and all the Ekranoplans, WiGs rock :)

It's not so much worked up as finding something that doesn't seem totally jarring. Mindf, I remember the "Red Dawn" RPG's of the eighties, which were... interesting.

Edit:

Was just reading thru your attempts at masking. Ouch. That's a lot of faff. I did some 15mm sci-fi tanks and 28mm walkers with a sort of jagged scheme, tried blue tac, masking tape, chipping medium. None of it was much cop, and blue tac was a sod as I got bits stuck as well. Took bloody ages to get all the bits out! Will a dark wash in green bring the Soviets more to a "temperate colour"? Or perhaps they're up from Mexico and operating in the scrub?!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

fred.

Lots of tanks Jack!

I tend to have hand painted camo on tanks - but I don't think I've ever done this many in one go!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

bigjackmac

All,

Well, fresh off my Blue-Tack experiment, I've decided to go monochrome for the vehicles in my Wolverines project, Soviets going medium green and Americans olive drab.  I was able to pop out to the garage after work and get them spray coated, here are some pics.

The whole mess, Soviets at top left, Yanks at bottom right, each side consisting of a tank company, a mechanized company, a recon platoon, a mortar platoon, a tank destroyer platoon, an AA gun, and a Battalion commander.  To see more pics, please check the blog at:
http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2018/01/10mm-cold-war-vehicles-take-2.html

Guys - Thanks everyone for all the comments, recommendations, and general empathy regarding my Blue Tack experience.  I think I will try it again sometime in the future, with larger scale vehicles, and much fewer vehicles than I working with here. 

Regarding 'worked up,' just joking guys, and as far as thinking of a plausible way of getting Soviet tanks into the US, I don't think there is a way, but I don't really care, I'm gaming it anyway! ;) 

The WiGs are cool, but I couldn't see using them on the tabletop, those things are extremely vulnerable (just like US Navy LCACs), they have no place being anywhere near some shooting.

V/R,
Jack

toxicpixie

I don't they expected the Ekranoplan's to be "assault vehicles" (even in the way the hovercraft or conventional landing craft are); they're for rapid transport or naval fast strike - a really fast cruise missile attack craft...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

petercooman

Quote from: bigjackmac on 24 January 2018, 02:05:07 AM

Regarding 'worked up,' just joking guys, and as far as thinking of a plausible way of getting Soviet tanks into the US, I don't think there is a way, but I don't really care, I'm gaming it anyway! ;) 

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/02/flying-tank-antonov-kt-40/

You know you want to!!

toxicpixie

As a member of the flying tank corps you get a triple vodka ration ;)

bigjackmac

Flying Tank Corps, that's fantastic!  Why didn't I think of that...

No blog update this evening, but I'm making progress on the infantry.  US troops are painted, Soviets almost, then have to wash and flock both.

V/R,
Jack

bigjackmac

All,

Well, it's been quiet here on the blog the past couple days, but I've been slaving away on my Wolverines project.  Lots of painting, washing, and flocking over the past three days has seen my complete all the infantry bases (as well as the Soviet heavy mortar platoon and AA gun, which are not self-propelled).  I'm also making steady progress on the vehicles, though I noticed I may not have enough of my dark tone wash to do all the vehicles once the painting is completed, so I put in a quick order to The Warstore (went in for a box of the new Battlefront Team Yankee LAV-25s!).  Anyway, here's where we're at.

The whole mess: assorted hobby implements at top left and top center, a box of my boys' 54mm plastic army-men at top right, then the project.  All the vehicles are at left (olive drab is US, medium green is Soviet), Soviet infantry at right, and US infantry at bottom right.

To see more pics, please check the blog at:
http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2018/01/infantry-complete-vehicles-on-way.html

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Womble67

Very nice indeed

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

bigjackmac

Thanks guys!  I'm getting close, nearing the finish line, and can't wait to get the invasion started!

V/R,
Jack

bigjackmac

All,

I've been pushing as hard as I can on this, and my Cold War "Wolverines" project is complete.  Well, almost.  The 10mm Pendraken lead portion of this project, which comprises about 97.5% of the total, is now complete, with but a couple more items begging for attention.  Yesterday I showed you I had completed the infantry, and I worked quite a bit last night and today to get the vehicles knocked out.  I am happy to report, they are ready for the table!  Here are a few pics; these are just teaser pics, documenting my project status.  Soon I will post a bunch more pics, nice close-ups, like I normally do, just need to carve out a little time, and a little sun wouldn't hurt, too.  I should be able to totally complete this project in time to start the war next weekend, so stay tuned!

A closer look at the vehicles, US at left, Soviets at right.  Each side has a tank company, a mechanized infantry company, a recon platoon, a mortar platoon, a tank destroyer platoon, an AA gun, and a battalion commander.  To see more pics, please check the blog at:
http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2018/01/pendraken-cold-war-order-is-complete.html

That's all for now.  I'll get close ups of all the gear posted ASAP, and I have a few modern skirmish fights to post over on my Cuba Libre blog.

V/R,
Jack