ACW Naval Books

Started by Orcs, 11 January 2018, 02:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

Hi All,

I have had a couple of enjoyable ACW Naval games using Peter pigs "Hammerin Iron Rules" and have occasionally thought about getting some models for it.  Stupidly I looked at Pitheads New range of 1:1200 models for this period, and they are really nice.

Before I go and spend money buying stuff that I know little about I thought I would ask the esteemed mebers of the Forum to recommend some suitable non-fiction books about the two navies.  I am not looking for highly detaile stuff, just a description of actions and some Idea of the various ships and their armour (armor for out colonial cousins) and their armaments 

Cheers

Mark
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

If you can get hold of a copy "Conway's Fighting Ships 1860-1906" is very useful, although giving cover to a much wider area. I suspect it might be rather expensive though.

Cheers

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Westmarcher

If you are stuck, there;s always Osprey which has loads of titles, e.g.,"Confederate Ironclad vs Union Ironclad" (have that one & liked it), "CSS Alabama vs USS Kearsage," "Union River Ironclad 1861-65," etc.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Orcs

Quote from: ianrs54 on 11 January 2018, 02:33:38 PM
If you can get hold of a copy "Conway's Fighting Ships 1860-1906" is very useful, although giving cover to a much wider area. I suspect it might be rather expensive though.

Cheers

IanS

DOH !!!!   I have that, thanks for reminding me - Just had a peek and it looks like a good basic guide.  I also mamaged to download a Kindle copy of "Naval Strategy During The American Civil War " By David Murphy for 88p so betwee the two I have something to work with.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Tumbling Dice have lots of nice stuff for that era too!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Ace of Spades

I think you should first of all decide what kind of games you want to concentrate on; river wars with steamers and iron clads, blockading Southern ports with all sorts of ships of the line as well as ironclads and blockade runners or naval battles at open sea with privateers and Yankee gunboats like the CSS Alabama and the USS Kearsarge. That will more or less decide what kind of ships you're looking for.
I have several books on ACW naval history/battles so if you have any specific questions please let me know and I'll try and look it up for you.

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!