Matt - 2018 painting diary

Started by Matt J, 10 January 2018, 08:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt J

10 January 2018, 08:22:42 PM Last Edit: 10 January 2018, 08:27:45 PM by Matt J
I love reading everyone's painting diaries and there are some great ones on the forum. thought I'd add my own as it might just get my painting moving again after an abysmal year of output in 2017.
I doubt I'll be anywhere near as prolific as the likes of Will (Mad Lemmey), Fred, Paulr or Peter (1,000 figs!!!!) but I hope to get a few hundred figures done.

The painting desk at the mo.

complete tip.

A few Egyptian tanks being finished off. A squad of vietnam special forces on the far right, a couple of SYW 6lbs, the ancient spanish range prepped and partly started and on the box in the back ground - shadespire 28's a bloodbowl treeman and more t/54's.

The projects I'm on at the mo are -

10mm
Punic wars - err.... bought lots of models but not started really
Trajan's Dacian wars - quite a few Imperial Romans done but a few years back so may get revisited, got lots of dacians but waiting to mix in the new sculpts when Techno gets there
Hastings - a lot of Normans done but scant few of Harold's lot
Mongols - in bags apart from Kublai, waiting on TB line stuff to be released
Quebec - British advancing quite well, French not so
WWII - Battle of the bulge - lots of models (inc buildings) but not started with any paint
Korea - a few tanks started but waiting on Techno for the infantry
Indochina - sort of started
Vietnam - lots of infantry, tanks, choppers etc for the yanks finished  :), NVA/Vietcong not so  :(
Arab Isreali Yom Kippur - plenty of armour underway no infantry, waiting on Techno for everything else (its a theme  :D)
Zombies - love zombies
and helping out Leon with any web pics

28mm
Mostly board game stuff
Bloodbowl - 14 teams in various states of completion
Mice and Mystics - sort of started
Shadespire - only 8 models, I must at least get these done!
Walking dead all out war - oh shiney! moment but like the models
WoR Perry 28's - going for ultimate eye candy army (one day, one day)

I'm going to try and post some proper pics at the end of each month of everything completed within that month, so hopefully lots of pics.

If you are passing pull up a chair and stay for a look around  :D

Cheers

Matt
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Looking forward to seeing some pics from what looks like a busy painting schedule.

fred.

Looking forward to seeing your progress Matt. Your list of projects seems as long as the rest of us - though I do like the excuse of blaming Phil for not having sculpted the range yet. You can then blame Dave for not having moulded them and Leon for not casting them, genius.

Your painting area truly is a tip  ;) I at least manage to keep the models off the paint!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: fred. on 10 January 2018, 08:51:14 PM
Your painting area truly is a tip  ;) I at least manage to keep the models off the paint!

I was just about to say how neat it was compared to mine  :P :P

Guess I'll go away and wallow now  ;D ;D

paulr

Lots on the go Matt, looking forward to seeing them progress :)

Looks like prioritising some opponents, e.g. Harold's lot and the French for Quebec, will allow you to get some forces on the table
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

Will be following!

Your painting area looks ok considering where i store my paints.(haven't got a fixed spot to paint)

they are in there somewhere  ;D

Womble67

I shall follow your page with interest

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

Matt J

I'm lucky I have a whole room I can use but I have a really small desk (on my wife's insistence) she works with me and know how messy I am at work. I mess one desk up then move on to another, the staff dread going on holiday as I 'requisition' any free desk  ;D

Managed to do tracks and weathering on a platoon of T-62's last night hopefully finish them tonight  :-bd 
Beep

Matt J

Slow progress last couple of weeks - due to man flu and having to run eldest daughter around the country for Uni interviews - York, Salford, Sheffield and Falmouth (which was a back breaker!).

But looks like I should finish the first batch of Egyptian armour by the end of the month  - 5 x T54/55, 3 x T62, 2 x SU 100, 2 x PT76 - which is a good base to build on.

Next batch of Vehicles are some modern additions for Leon (which he handed over last March!  :!!)
Beep

DHautpol

Great idea to use contact lens cases as palettes.

Specsavers deliver me three with every 3 months' supply of lenses; I've been reluctant to just bin them afterwards and now a whole new use presents itself.
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!

Matt J

QuoteGreat idea to use contact lens cases as palettes

Yes pretty handy for mixing in.

Although I'm interested to give the wet palette a try mentioned by Paulr in another thread.
Beep

Matt J

Right, this is what I managed to get finished in Jan (though not necessarily started in Jan  ;)).

Definitely seem an increase in my output which is good, just trying to do a bit every day even if squeezing in half hour.

In 10mm
SYW Quebec- the two British light guns used in the battle

I have some reinforcements for my US forces for 'Nam.
Squad of special forces and a Sheridan

Egyptian armour for Yom Kippur war - these aren't completely finished as I'll add aerials afv markings at a later date

SU-100

PT-76

T-54+55's

and the big boys.. T-62's

Only the 1 model on the 28mm scale but he is a bit of a big lad - Blood bowl Treeman (love him  :))

cheers

Matt
Beep

paulr

Quote from: Matt J on 07 February 2018, 07:39:27 PM
Although I'm interested to give the wet palette a try mentioned by Paulr in another thread.

I wish I had learned about wet palettes years ago, it has definitely made my painting much easier. One of the biggest pluses is that if you need to do a touch up the paint is already on your palette. The consistency of the paint is easier to maintain and I suspect I'm wasting much less, not having to put some more on the palette each time I need the colour

January's output
:-bd =D> :-bd =D> :-bd
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Cracking stuff Matt. I think I like the battered looking Egyptian armour the best.

Wet palette sounds interesting - with mainly painting 28s at the minute an using small amounts of paint for highlights etc, it would help being able to go back to colours. Might have to look into it.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts