Fred - 2018 Painting Diary

Started by fred., 08 January 2018, 09:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

Great stuff!

Currently painting warlord games panzer grenadiers. I have a batch of us airborne ready for painting as well (already did a testfigure to see if my uniform colour would work out). Only reason i have those as the last bolt action stuff in my painting  que is because of the decals  ;D

Although i guess the american flag and the screaming eagles patch will be more noticeable on the plain jackets of the americans  :-\

fred.

Go on Peter, the decals aren't that hard to do, even though they will be more prominent on the US uniforms.

Got another coat of gloss on tonight, and going for the other extreme to last night's photo, here are all of them in their fancy MDF storage tray

As can be seen, lots of basing to do.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Leman

Is the storage by Warbases  for RUB containers?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fred.

Quote from: Leman on 12 April 2018, 10:17:34 AM
Is the storage by Warbases  for RUB containers?

Yes it is. The mdf is a fair bit smaller than the box which was a bit of a surprise. But with a bit of double sided tape holds it in place.

The figures fit well, once there is a bit of sand on the top of the base then they fit very snuggly, and will stay in place with movement.

I was able to take them on a 2 hour car journey and they all stayed in place.

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fred.

Rebasing

I finally decided that it was time to rebase my Warmaster Empire troops for out home brew rules - basically going from 40x20mm bases to 40x40mm bases. Obviously you can just push two 40x20mm bases together to get a 40x40mm base - and this is what I have been doing for a long time. But we are planning a big game, and I have realised that I have far too much cavalry compared to infantry. So it seems a good time to rebase the missile troops, as I will be able to nearly double the number of bases of troops I have, going from 8 figures on a 40x20mm base (doubled up to give 40x40), to 9 or so on a 40x40mm base.

The troops have a bath to loosen the glue - how many use PVA and how many superglue?

Most came off very easily, so lots based with PVA. There were a few that were a bit harder to remove, perhaps using superglue, or just because they were single figures it was harder to get leverage. The ones still soaking were based with wood filler, this was much more resistant to soaking, but leaving them a bit longer and flexing the bases they popped off. Only 1 casualty in the whole process.

And the first lot rebased

This was 7 units using double 40x20mm basing, going to 13 bigger 40x40 bases (along with some wizards going from 1p basing to 40x40mm squares).

lowlylowlycook

Off to a good start with that rebasing.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

What they said !  :)

Cheers - Phil

paulr

Never a fun task, but at least you are getting more units out of it
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Quote from: paulr on 23 April 2018, 08:56:28 AM
Never a fun task, but at least you are getting more units out of it

Its not been too bad at all. And seems to be progressing fairly well.

fred.

23 April 2018, 10:02:56 PM #133 Last Edit: 23 April 2018, 10:05:05 PM by fred.
Got the rest onto new bigger bases tonight

19 more bases, to give 37 in total

Now I have available

6 wizards
14 crossbows
13 handgunners
5 skirmishers

Duke Speedy of Leighton