Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Looking really good, Forbes !! :-bd

Cheers - Phil

petercooman

Looking good!

How do you handle multiplayer?

fred.

The other game that is grabbing my attention at the minute is Dracula's America - this is basically a supernatural cowboy game. Its small scale skirmish with each player having a gang of 5-10 figures.

In contrast to BA the rule book is really clear and straight forward. You read it and get it straight away. The layout is the opposite with lots of headings, short paragraphs, rules in one part, background elsewhere. They have been out for a while, but we only spotted them recently with an advert for the new supplement Hunting Grounds. Within this supplement are two new gangs, the Chinese Tong, who I already have figures for, and the Forsaken who are 7th Cavalry based, who I have ordered some figures for.

For the various supernatural figures I had a rummage in my Reaper Bones figures and found lots, which is great as these had rather been languishing.

Sasquatch, Bear skin walker and Wolf

Ghost, Fu Dog and Oni
The last two I'm thinking of using as summonable entities for my Tong

Popped into the local Wargames shop this afternoon, to see if they had any 40mm bases. They didn't but they did have a couple of Perry western houses, so I thought I'd get those, it would have been rude not to!

Ordered the bases from Leon when I got home!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fred.

Quote from: Techno on 21 January 2018, 07:41:34 PM
Looking really good, Forbes !! :-bd

Cheers - Phil

Quote from: petercooman on 21 January 2018, 07:45:31 PM
Looking good!

How do you handle multiplayer?

Thanks Chaps  :)

We did multiplayer just like glorified single player, pulled an order dice, gave it to the side CO, who either used it or gave it to one of his subordinates. In the rules it talks about using a dice colour per player.

What would be good (and what we do with epic) is for each activation, each player on the active side moves a unit. Keeps things moving much more. Might try this with BA.

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

petercooman

We do it like that as well, each side one colour dice. Makes it a bit more "social". Players need to discuss more about wich unit gets to act. We divide the armies equally so every one gets options ( for example, each gets two squads and a team, each gets one of the anti tank assets etc...)

A lot of the bolt action mechanics is about shifting priorities IMHO, ignoring units that already acted for more immediate threaths, so giving multiple actions might change "the game" a bit. Might work though!

Ps: That sasquatch looks the business!!

fred.

its trying to balance player down time, vs not wrecking the game by having one side have a load of activations together because 2 or 3 players each activate. There was no flow at all to the game on Friday, between the distance in time between each player getting to activate troops and the huge amount of rummaging through the rules.

Quote from: petercooman on 21 January 2018, 09:20:19 PM
Ps: That sasquatch looks the business!!

Thanks

petercooman

Quote from: fred. on 21 January 2018, 10:05:32 PM
its trying to balance player down time, vs not wrecking the game by having one side have a load of activations together because 2 or 3 players each activate. There was no flow at all to the game on Friday, between the distance in time between each player getting to activate troops and the huge amount of rummaging through the rules.

Yeah the rulebook is a bit of a stinker when looking things up. I filled mine with post it notes after our first play to make it easier to find stuff that came up. player down time with us is pretty good though. We play with 3-4 so not that many!

Might be a good idea to divide the table in 2-3 sections? And let each section (2 opposing players) play at the same time? would only give a bit of "delay " when shooting/moving across to another section of the board. Would need some clarification though, to "transfer" units from one section to another, but might add to the overall strategy of the game!!

Techno

Those 'newies' are rather spiffy, Forbes !!   :-bd

Cheers - Phil

fred.

Quote from: petercooman on 21 January 2018, 11:02:28 PM
Might be a good idea to divide the table in 2-3 sections? And let each section (2 opposing players) play at the same time? would only give a bit of "delay " when shooting/moving across to another section of the board. Would need some clarification though, to "transfer" units from one section to another, but might add to the overall strategy of the game!!

Had wondered about doing that  - essentially running 2 or 3 separate side by side games. Might work.

Anyway, on the painting front, finished a wolf tonight - went for this kind of look

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Top marks, Forbes !!  :-bd :-bd :-bd

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Womble67

Very nice indeed

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Thanks chaps, very kind.

Wasn't sure if I'd over done the white.

Matt J

Nice one Fred  :-bd

With animals I think there is always the temptation to just paint brown/grey and dry brush lighter highlights. When you look at (image of) an animal there really is alot more going on.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep