2018 Deaths

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 06 January 2018, 08:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulf

'Died in his sweat lodge... on a spiritual quest for enlightenment"... erm... yeah...   :-

Runequest was my proper entry to actual Roleplaying gaming - D&D was more of a skirmish wargame (and still is). Sad loss.

toxicpixie

Actually true - Greg Stafford was an honest to god shaman and practitioner of the arts arcane and spiritual. And possessed his own much used sweat lodge :D

The whole corpus of "miffic Glorantha" is explicitly a rendering of his life long interest in miffic shamanism (now sadly terminated, unless he's actually gone off to Heroquest somewhere and gotten lost).
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Wulf

Quote from: toxicpixie on 16 October 2018, 02:40:01 PM
Actually true - Greg Stafford was an honest to god shaman and practitioner of the arts arcane and spiritual. And possessed his own much used sweat lodge :D
Oh, I know he was, I followed the whole saga up to Hero Quest.  But exactly what that involved is a different thing...

toxicpixie

I gather it involved a lot of direct action as opposed to theoretical research; one comment on his remembrance blog amused me - the commenter had hoped to grab Greg after a Con only to find he'd already flown off so as to catch a ritual in the air for the eclipse that was hitting then!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Orcs

Quote from: mad lemmey on 12 November 2018, 07:45:19 PM
Stan Lee, aged 95.  :'(

My daughter and I used to love watching for his cameo roles in the films.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

Alas. My Dad. Aged 92. 9pm Saturday.

As a teenager he acted as a bicycle messenger taking messages to and from some of the AA batteries defending Rosyth. As a dockyard electrical engineer, just after the war, he was involved in the refurbishment or decommissioning of small ships (destroyers and smaller) at Rosyth.

Without his insistence to my mother that collecting, painting and playing with toy soldiers was a phase I'd grow out of I might well not have been a gamer.

To be honest, I think life had become a burden and he would not have been sad to go.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Steve J

My condolences to all involved.

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

My condolences, I'm sorry to hear this.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leon

Sorry to hear that Mike.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Mike,
Many condolences. Hugs
Remember the good times.

toxicpixie