2018 Deaths

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 06 January 2018, 08:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollinary

Yes, it does get worrying when people younger than yourself start shuffling off this mortal coil with something approaching regularity!  :o :o :d
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Quote from: mollinary on 05 April 2018, 10:49:12 PM
Yes, it does get worrying when people younger than yourself start shuffling off this mortal coil with something approaching regularity!  :o :o :d

It certainly does !

Shame about both Eric Bristow and Ray Wilkins.  :(

Cheers - Phil

Elliesdad

Eric Bristow died at 60.
Perhaps it is apt he made it to "treble twenty".

RIP the Crafty Cockney

petercooman

R. Lee Ermey from full metal jacket fame apparently passed away.

Steve J

Just brilliant in Full Metal Jacket. Also the voice of the soldier in Toy Story.

fsn

16 April 2018, 03:59:32 PM #126 Last Edit: 16 April 2018, 04:34:16 PM by fsn
Is he the ex drill sgt who got his role because he could ball out a recruit for 10 minutes without repetition or foul language?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

I'm not sure, but his language in the film is colourful and IIRC, most of it was ad libed.

Leon

Quote from: fsn on 16 April 2018, 03:59:32 PM
Is he the ex drill sgt who got his role because he could ball out a recruit for 10 minutes without repetition or foul language?

That's the chap.  If I remember right he was brought in as a consultant to get the actors up to speed to play that role, but none of them were up to it.  When he ranted at the director for a straight 10 minutes, he was given the part instead.  He also did a cool show on the History channel called Lock 'n' Load, where he went through the development of modern weapons (and fired them of course!)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Ithoriel

I believe he chewed out a bunch of extra's, not Kubrick himself. And indeed, unusually for a Kubrick film, he was allowed to ad lib while being filmed.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Dr Dave

Dale Winton

Obviously sad, but in the midst of all the effusive "celebrity" comments a dose of reality: I met an ITV cameraman at a party once who claimed that he was the worst person to work with. He insisted all the cameras be a little higher than his eye line so that they all looked down on him oh so slightly to avoid seeing his double chin! Hence all the cameraman worked on boxes or their tippy toes!  ???

toxicpixie

Crikey, he was only 62! Can't say I found him a compelling presenter either, but the double chin flap is amusing.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Steve J

Too young and a nice anecdote about him being filmed.

Techno

Quote from: Dr Dave on 19 April 2018, 11:12:39 AM
Dale Winton
Obviously sad, but in the midst of all the effusive "celebrity" comments a dose of reality: I met an ITV cameraman at a party once who claimed that he was the worst person to work with. He insisted all the cameras be a little higher than his eye line so that they all looked down on him oh so slightly to avoid seeing his double chin! Hence all the cameraman worked on boxes or their tippy toes!  ???

As Dr Dave says.......I thought the effusive "He was SUCH a lovely man," from various 'celebrities' sounded a little bit fake.

Still...a shame....He seemed to be a fairly good entertainer.

Cheers - Phil

Womble67

Very sad

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!