2018 Deaths

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 06 January 2018, 08:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

My Mum (Jennifer Johnson) cleaned at Harvey Court and West Road in the main, with a bit of time on one of the stairs in college.

fsn

Quote from: Steve J on 14 March 2018, 06:53:22 AM
Loved his book, 'A Brief History of Time' which is eminently readable, even for someone who really didn't enjoy science at school. A life certainly well lived.
You're a better man that I.

I ploughed through "A Brief History of Time". It is, as you say very enjoyable and well written, however, I found that my poor brain would understand the page I read but as soon as I turned the page *poof* it vanished like Cossacks before an Orc horde.

I had better luck with his trimmed down version - "A Briefer History of Time".

Always a pleasure to hear him. Such a great communicator.  
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

A great loss, a man who lived.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Womble67

A very sad loss indeed

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

SV52

Stephen Hawking:

'... more geese than swans now live, more fools than wise.'   A loss for the human species, my heart goes out to his family and to those who knew him.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Fenton

And now Jim Bowen as well.

Jim Bowen: Comedian and former Bullseye host dies at 80 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43403178
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Shedman

14 March 2018, 03:01:24 PM #111 Last Edit: 14 March 2018, 03:03:28 PM by Shedman
Jim Bowen made Bullseye worth watching and his catchphrases were super, smashing, great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N84zsnkv6_Q

Techno

That's sad too. :(

Do I remember correctly that he was a miniatures gamer/collector ?

Cheers - Phil

Orcs

Quote from: Techno on 14 March 2018, 03:59:26 PM
That's sad too. :(

Do I remember correctly that he was a miniatures gamer/collector ?

Cheers - Phil

Not the same Jim Bowen I believe.  But a good call never the less

http://www.deartonyblair.co.uk/2013/04/jim-bowen-sculptor-and-figure-painter.html
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

15 March 2018, 10:13:23 AM #114 Last Edit: 15 March 2018, 10:17:33 AM by FierceKitty
Quote from: Steve J on 14 March 2018, 08:13:25 AM
My Mum (Jennifer Johnson) cleaned at Harvey Court and West Road in the main, with a bit of time on one of the stairs in college.

I lived in Harvey Court for a year (83-84)....Was/is she tall and blonde?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steve J

15 March 2018, 10:15:39 AM #115 Last Edit: 15 March 2018, 10:28:45 AM by Steve J
Well it's highly likely you would have seen my Mum at some point. No, Mum was short, quite dumpy, dark brown hair and glasses and rode a moped to work. Small world eh?

Techno

Quote from: Orcs on 15 March 2018, 09:57:27 AM
Not the same Jim Bowen I believe.  But a good call never the less

Thanks, Mark.

:-\ Maybe I'm getting the name(s) confused ?
I knew the Jim B sculptor had passed on....But I'm sure when I was working at the Evil Empire someone mentioned that the 'Bullseye' presenter was into 'toy soldiers'.
Maybe it was another game show host.

Cheers - Phil

cameronian

Philip Kerr, author of the acclaimed Bernie Gunther detective novels, gutted.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Elliesdad

Quote from: cameronian on 31 March 2018, 09:08:28 PM
Philip Kerr, author of the acclaimed Bernie Gunther detective novels, gutted.

His latest Bernie Gunther novel - Greeks Bearing Gifts - is due for hardback release on 3rd April.

What a shame. Bernie is such a memorable character. Google tells us there's one more unpublished book, ready for 2019.

RIP Philip

Geoff

Steve J

The Crafty Cockney, Eric Bristow just passed away aged only 60 :o :(. As a kid he was the darts player we all admired and my throw is still based upon his, but sadly no where near as accurate!

Also Ray Wilkins at just 61 :(