2018 Deaths

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 06 January 2018, 08:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Dinas Powys

(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Steve J

What a great product that he invented. He did something useful for the developing World.

Techno

Definitely !

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Leman

Thank goodness I was able to enjoy one of his marathons. Left me full of plumptiousness.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J

A damned fine innings that's for sure. I remember his TV show which I never really enjoyed, probably due to the bizarre (IIRC) Diddy Men.

Leman

When I was between about 9 and 12 I used to listen to his Light Programme (Radio 2) Sunday afternoon show, where I first heard this little gem,
"What a wonderful day for giving grandad a dictionary and telling him to lie down outside and look up skirts." The me'n'all brigade would probably swoop on him for that these days.  :(
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Poggle

"Tatty-bye," Doddy. Thanks for all the laughs.  :(

Fenton

RIP Stephen Hawking

Stephen Hawking dies aged 76 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43396008
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

FierceKitty

I had the distinction by association of sharing a house with him in 1983-84. It was only proximity, however; we never met socially.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steve J

My Mum used to see him a fair bit whizzing round Cambridge when she was a bed maker for Gonville & Caius College. I saw him once en passant. Loved his book, 'A Brief History of Time' which is eminently readable, even for someone who really didn't enjoy science at school. A life certainly well lived.

Techno

FierceKitty

Quote from: Steve J on 14 March 2018, 06:53:22 AM
My Mum used to see him a fair bit whizzing round Cambridge when she was a bed maker for Gonville & Caius College. I saw him once en passant. Loved his book, 'A Brief History of Time' which is eminently readable, even for someone who really didn't enjoy science at school. A life certainly well lived.

My old college. We may have met. :)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

A sad loss but a bloody great innings given his prognosis in 1963

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!