The 2018 Whimsical Cavalcade

Started by d_Guy, 06 January 2018, 07:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Those look DAMN fine !!  8)

Cheers - Phil

fred.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Erm... yeah.
Sorry Fred.
Bill, those are brilliant
Too early in the morning
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

d_Guy

Quote from: Terry37 on 09 March 2018, 03:46:04 AM
Very impressive! In my mind it takes real stamina to paint so many figures like that since I paint an average of maybe 40-50 figures for an entire army.  Bottom line, those highlanders do look nice!!!

Terry

Thanks, Terry!  I will admit you have a somewhat higher quality standard for yours, however.  :)
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

d_Guy

Mr. Lemmy, I am honored to be mistook for Fred.  :)

Leman

That's a fine looking bunch of Celtic lads there.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

Thanks, Leman.
Because of the following vid, I gave a large proportion red hair:

toxicpixie

Fine historical research there! Eclipsed only by Braveheart :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

d_Guy

Yes, don't know what I would do without YouTube and Wikipedia.  :D

Of all the stuff that is cringe worthy about Braveheart, the weapons and costumes of the Irish seemed to me passibly decent in the broad strokes, particularly when compared to all else:

Not sure if Edward had any Irish troops at Falkirk, however.

Techno

I think I've told this story before, but years ago I made a series of 20 (?) mm models for a small firm who sold to the Scottish tourist industry.
They were sold in little plastic domes and were 'inked and polished' to make them look 'collectable'....and probably quite pricey.

I was asked to make a 'historically accurate' William Wallace, and was sent reference material, including a piccy of the statue of Wallace in Edinburgh.
I don't think I did too bad a copy job on that......But the owner of the firm called me to say he'd heard back form one of the shops he sold to, saying that he'd overheard a customer complaining...."But Elmer.....This doesn't look anything like Mel Gibson in the film." =) =) =) =)

Hey Ho.

I should have stuck to making 'Nessie'.

Cheers - Phil

d_Guy

I liked the story, Techno - myth has always been more powerful than history.

To complete the Flodden Highlanders their bases have been labeled and flags added. The flags are completely mythical and like any myth, Larger than life. I realize that it adds a fantasy element to my games but there it is. If I should ever find a live opponent and they objected, they are removable:

The four groups, clockwise from 12 o'clock are: Clans of the far North, the Gordons, the Campbell, and the Clans of the West.

mollinary

Quote from: d_Guy on 12 March 2018, 06:58:08 PM
I liked the story, Techno - myth has always been more powerful than history.

To complete the Flodden Highlanders their bases have been labeled and flags added. The flags are completely mythical and like any myth, Larger than life. I realize that it adds a fantasy element to my games but there it is. If I should ever find a live opponent and they objected, they are removable:

The four groups, clockwise from 12 o'clock are: Clans of the far North, the Gordons, the Campbell, and the Clans of the West.

They look beautiful, and perfect for an upcoming Game of Thrones campaign?  :- :-[ ;D

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Techno

Looking really good, Bill. :)

Cheers - Phil

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting