The 2018 Whimsical Cavalcade

Started by d_Guy, 06 January 2018, 07:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

Cue both sides flailing wildly then breaking :D

Remember, nobody wins unless everybody wins!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

paulr

Quote from: d_Guy on 20 February 2018, 07:46:01 PM
Thanks guys.

Pixie, they'll be on opposite sides so no matter how badly they do, some will at least be on the winning side :)

So it's likely to be a draw then ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

d_Guy

Thanks, Womble!

I have managed to handle wargame troops so badly in solo games that it is amazing that there is often a clear winner. I like Baroque and For King and Parliament, both very adaptable to solo games. Other than the faster play of FK&P, I am preferring it because it is easier to fine tune for militia and various rabble and other ad hoc troops - some portion of which show up in 90% of the battles I do. It is indeed possible that entire brigades can exit the field in the first serious fighting - on both sides!
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

toxicpixie

If it's any consolation I often find I can't get troops INTO contact enough to even fight 🤡
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

d_Guy

About to finish up the saffron  color-clad highland contingent for Flodden:

The bowmen and swordsmen are from the EBay army I purchased. The swordsmen needed only touching up (and switched to saffron) but the bowman needed a complete redo (in the end it would have been easier to start with white metal:

Hard to tell but ended up using five different saffron shades.

The rest (below)  are new purchases from Pendraken.

These are warrior class (Buannachan) fighters along with leaders and pipers:

Several have card stock bucklers and tissue paper plaids added. The plaids are painted to represent some sort of proto-tartan:

The clan levy fighters (Tuath) are Pendraken Levy/Peasent Foot (AS5) with about half getting small bucklers:

The guys in the foreground (above) are a few of the highland leadership that is wearing the very latest in armour.

Several compromises were made so that most of these figures can portray Galloglass and the "Rising Out" in both Desmond's and Tyrone's rebellions in Ireland.

d_Guy

They got based this morning  and static grass (not used it before) added this afternoon.
This means I will now allow myself to order the Aztecs! ...and that's now done too!

fred.

Looking good - and nice work to bring in all the different figures.

Which codes have you used for the warrior class figures, the ones with the swords aloft and the spears?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

petercooman

Nice stuff d_Guy!

Especially the tissue plaids!

toxicpixie

That's some nice work :)

Good luck on the aztecs. I have no time or space for More projects but I'm tempted by some sort of small Skirmish warrior capturing raid game with them...

d_Guy

Thanks, all

Quote from: fred. on 08 March 2018, 09:42:00 PM
Looking good - and nice work to bring in all the different figures.

Which codes have you used for the warrior class figures, the ones with the swords aloft and the spears?

Fred,

The "swords aloft" and "spears" are ER26 which includes also the axemen on the strip behind the spears and the pipers.

The remaining row of axemen (and the three with axes over shoulder) are ELM19.

The bows are ER4 and the figures behind the bows with the claymors are ER3.

d_Guy

Quote from: toxicpixie on 09 March 2018, 12:25:23 AM
That's some nice work :)

Good luck on the aztecs. I have no time or space for More projects but I'm tempted by some sort of small Skirmish warrior capturing raid game with them...

I've been studying them in my spare time. Been fascinated with them since I first saw the Classics Illustrated version of "The Conquest of Mexico" skirmish is probably the sane way to go.

d_Guy

And two more pics with the lads now on bases (very quick and dirty bases I'll admit but match the paint job). It is possible to distinguish the different shades of saffron:

Closeup:

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Terry37

Very impressive! In my mind it takes real stamina to paint so many figures like that since I paint an average of maybe 40-50 figures for an entire army.  Bottom line, those highlanders do look nice!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams