What was the last ruleset you played 2018?

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 04 January 2018, 11:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? IACTA ALEA EST
2) What armies were confronted? - Iberians vs early Gauls
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, certainly
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - two
6) What went well? - Gauls weren't well coordinated, and their chariots were pincered and annihilated.
7) What could have been improved? My slingers seem doomed to be overrun before they get in any real shooting.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Cavillarius

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Kallistra Hordes & Heroes Medieval
2) What armies were confronted? - French and Engish HYW
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - No, not really. Fierce discussions about longbow range (too short) and the use of stakes/pavises.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Nope, we did 2x Poles vs Mongols before. Not entirely happy with that either.
5) How many players were in the game? - 3

The new:
6) What went well? - Nice figures (some of them Kallistra, at least)
7) What could have been improved? - Some of the rules were ambiguous. Not too thrilled about the limitations imposed by the hexagons either.

Leman

1. Square Bashing
2. Russian v Turkish 1915
3. Yes - played many games of this excellent rules set
4. No
5. 2 players
6. Easy rules to remember and play. Nicely produced Minifigs figures by a club member
7. I played the Turks and they were slaughtered.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Mortiem et Gloriam
2) What armies were confronted? - Mianni vs Neo Assyrian
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - yup
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - narp
5) How many players were in the game? - 2

The new:
6) What went well? Taking out the royal guards with enveloping combined attacks. Breaking up his chariot waves so I could pick on units.
7) What could have been improved? First game with new armies for both if us, lots of improvements and guessing of improvements before the rematch.
Oh, and i need to actually paint more units instead of using a mates Mycenians to fill in!
15-6 to the Mitanni
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

pierre the shy

) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Target for Tonight
2) What forces were confronted? - RAF vs Luftwaffe
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, overall does a pretty good job of depicting a raid, though they could be clearer on a few points.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - just me, but can be run as a multi player game 
6) What went well? - 5 of my 6 Lancasters got back to base in one piece, including X-X Ray which survived a Ju 88C nightfighter literally running rings it (manuveres are done on 6 x 8 gridded board using a deck of playing cards, Lancs move on any black card and the night fighters on red cards, the Ju88 had one sequence of 13 consecutive red cards  :o and managed to hit X-X Ray twice just before she escaped off the board but rolled a 1 for damage both times so did not inflict any meaningful damage..that was a close run thing).
7) What could have been improved? - Some of the rules were ambiguous so I have made up a number of my own house rules - not all Luftwaffe pilots are experten!! ;)

Would I play again? Yes, I used card mounted aircraft bases rather than 1/300 or 1/600 models. My first mission was a raid on Keil's U-Boat pens set in April 1943. Might try a longer, more dangerous mission to "the big city" next. There is also potential for some reverse raids by the Luftwaffe during the "baby blitz" of Jan - April 1944 but need some further research to see how much different the RAF's night fighter defences were compared to the Luftwaffe's fixed Kammhuber Line defences and free roaming Wilde Sau single engine fighters over the target area.   
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

Quote from: pierre the shy on 19 October 2018, 08:43:35 AM
) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Target for Tonight
2) What forces were confronted? - RAF vs Luftwaffe

Sounds interesting, count me in ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Maenoferren

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? Hordes of the Things
2) What armies were confronted? Dwarves and Early fantasyesque Germans against Martians and Fantasy Summarians
5) How many players were in the game? - four
6) What went well? - Initial dice rolls went in my favour
7) What could have been improved? My team mate over extended their flank meaning 70% of their troops didn't get into action. It didn't help that the majority of their dice rolls were ones or twos. It was a refresher game for a tournament on 10th November. I need to reread the rules again as They are close to DBA but not exactly and I got confused  8-} 8-} 8-}... it doesn't take much these days.
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

paulr

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - For King and Parliament
2) What armies were confronted? - Royalist v Parliament 1646
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - Four
6) What went well? - The rules gave a good period feel
7) What could have been improved? - The execution of the Royalists bold plan in game two

A battle report of both games can be found here http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,17883.0.html

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - BKCII
2) What armies were confronted? - Fallschirmjager vs Polish, Normandy 1944
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo
6) What went well? - The Polish coomand rolls at various points in the game, as well as the artillery and airstrikes.
7) What could have been improved? - The Fallschirmjager armoured support shooting.

Leman

1. Square Bashing
2. 1915 Russians v. Turks
3. Very comfortable with them. A very straightforward set of rules to grasp and organised in such a way that no two games are alike.
4. No
5. Three players - two attacking Turks v. one defending Russian.
6. We chose to play the short version of the game which takes out the pre-game campaign and instead pre-determines attacker and defender. Unfortunately the defender can still lose bases before the game starts (we put this down to a patchy Turkish bombardment to soften up the position). Also taken out of the game are all the assets, but not the higher command orders. Despite this it still gave a very good, exciting game. Though there were  overwhelming odds in the Turks favour, the Russians gave a good account of themselves and the victory calculation at the end showed that the Turks had not done quite as well as they thought they had, allowing the Russian survivors to withdraw at nightfall. The game ran for about 2 1/2 hours, despite the two Turks never having played before.
7. No real scopr for improvement. An excellent game enjoyed by all three participants.

Norm

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? Bitter Woods, a boardgame by Compass Games covering the Battle of the Bulge
2) What armies were confronted? 1944 German v American ground forces
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - No, first playing using the short tournament scenario (6 turns)
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes
6) What went well? - The opening orders of battle are imbalanced (historical reality), so the Germans have a powerful attack capability, while the Americans desperately plug gaps, block advances and survive, this was replicated in the game and it keeps both player immersed and the American player interested.
7) What could have been improved? just a better handle on the rules and knowledge of the tempo of the German advance, but this is the sort of game that you have to play a scenario to get that. There are plenty of special turn 1 rules, I think the game should list these rather than the players having to search rules, remember or make their own 'reminder' sheet.

Anyway, very good and I am re-setting it for another game.

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? Ten More Sons!
2) What armies were confronted? - Mexicans vs Spaniards and Tlaxcalans
6) What went well? - Heavy cavalry charged and broke two units within minutes, lights took enemy in flank as they charged matchlockmen, shooting was deadly.
7) What could have been improved? Too one-sided for a real game. My foeman observed that rules which governed pike and shot and pistoleers and lancers in Europe don't always give American troops much chance; I think he had a fair point. Rules have already been tweaked a bit.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - BKCII
2) What armies were confronted? - British BEF vs German Landwehr in a 'what if?' 1939 Saar Offensive.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo
6) What went well? - Pretty much 'even Stevens' for both sides, although the British FAO didn't do much...
7) What could have been improved? - The position of the Landwehr minefield to help funnel the British attack into a better killing zone.

Leman

1. FOGR
2. Later Poles v Later Ottomans
3. I am finding these rules a lot more manageable that FOG
4. No
5. Two players
6. The game in general went well and the rules are beginning to make sense. The armies were 10mm Pendraken and the Polish hussars looked magnificent (everything painted by my opponent).
7. I was doing really well and then made the classic mistake of blocking my hussars, assuming that they could charge through the screening light cavalry. Alas no, so they were caught by Ottoman cavalry and suffered badly. Still, a useful lesson well learned.

paulr

Quote from: Leman on 09 November 2018, 05:49:16 PM
1. FOGR
2. Later Poles v Later Ottomans
3. I am finding these rules a lot more manageable that FOG

This seems to be a reasonably widespread view