Pendraken Miniatures Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
18 August 2018, 04:01:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Korean War range has been released!
258902 Posts in 15597 Topics by 2151 Members
Latest Member: Noktu
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pendraken Miniatures Forum
|-+  Wider Wargaming
| |-+  Rules
| | |-+  What was the last ruleset you played 2018?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What was the last ruleset you played 2018?  (Read 12475 times)
Steve J
Lieutenant General

« Reply #225 on: 29 July 2018, 07:16:49 PM »

Funnily enough we never got on with Hail Caesar Sad. Promised much but somehow failed to deliver.

http://wwiiwargaming.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - 2 x Winner!
toxicpixie
Major General

« Reply #226 on: 29 July 2018, 08:18:57 PM »

I quite like the various “Hail Black Shotte” sets, they give a playable game. You just need a bit judicious period tweaking and careful selection of special characteristics, and be happy with the basic command mechanism. Which if any bit gripes with you is a lot of work to get over, and I must admit we’ve moved back onto more period specific sets that require less rules faff!

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting
ianrs54
Playtester
Lieutenant General

« Reply #227 on: 30 July 2018, 08:17:46 AM »

My major problem is that they are so similar, but different in small ways, so continually quote the wrong set.

IanS

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF HURRAY
toxicpixie
Major General

« Reply #228 on: 30 July 2018, 08:35:35 AM »

Yes, very true Ian - they're just similar enough to trip you up unexpectedly!

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting
Leman
General

« Reply #229 on: 01 August 2018, 09:15:36 PM »

1. FoGR

2. C16th Japanese v Koreans

3. Yes, having previously played FoG

4. This was my first game of FoGR

5. Three players: 2 Korean v 1 Japanese

6. Initially the Koreans did reasonably well actually routing a unit of mounted Samurai, but eventually quality began to tell, especially when a number  of Korean units had to reroll  their sixes as they were rated poor. Nevertheless the Koreans put on a brave show, and my cavalry flanking manoeuvre actually worked.

7. The massive weakness of these rules for me is the lack of a decent QRS, mainly because there are just too many variables linked to different troop types, weapons, animals etc. Although a double-sided QRS is available on the web, the font is so tiny that it is quite difficult to use. I also find the advantage/disadvantage concept to be an unnecessary faff where most other rules convey this with a plus or minus number.

Perhaps one way around the QRS problem might have been to have a simplified version in each of the period/theatre books, but I suppose this is the problem of generic rules covering vast periods and types of armies and a set which has clearly been produced for competition gaming. In my group we never pit ahistorical opponents against one another.

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!
Geiss
Cadet

« Reply #230 on: 07 August 2018, 09:44:36 PM »

I had the chance to play Sharp Practice (28mm), which was so fun that I immediately bought the WW1 equivalent (Through the Mud and Blood) for my 10mm armies. Spent an afternoon coming up with funny names for the 'big men' on each side. I'll have to buy some new WW1 German and British officers to single base and use as the big men, as currently my British were being led by singl-based modern SAS soldiers and the Germans by Afghan insurgents.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: