What was the last ruleset you played 2018?

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 04 January 2018, 11:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

1. Tin Soldiers in Action

2. SYW Prussians v Austrians

3. Very comfortable, despite my later comments

4. Played this set a number of times now

5. 2 players and we played the scenario (same one in my batrep but a different opponent) three times over four hours

6. I learnt a lot about the nuances in the rules that I hadn't cottoned on to before, namely as the rather poor translation gave the impression actions had to be done in a certain order, which they don't.

7. Well, you never know. Now I am more aware of how this game should be played I may do better. I have now lost this scenario 6 times.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Sabresquadron
2) What armies were confronted? - Soviets Tanks vs Canadians
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - utterly (but I was playing the author)
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - nope, but the first time for the Canadians on table
5) How many players were in the game? - two
6) What went well? BMPs with Spandles caused nearly all my casualties.
7) What could have been improved? My T62s died, all of them.

Full report on the blog tomorrow, but for a long time it looked like it was going to be an utterly one sided affair for the poor Soviets!

I still lost, but we did inflict some losses in the end.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Captain Chook

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Dragon Rampant (after having played a lot of Sellswords and Spellslingers recently)
2) What armies were confronted? - My approximation of First Age (Tolkien) Orcs and friends Trolls and wargs) vs "Elves" (used Saxons as stand-ins)
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Mostly - I have used these quite a lot in the past
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - see above
5) How many players were in the game? - One

The new:
6) What went well? The activation system makes the game quite unpredictable - this is good in some ways, particularly for solo play - but there seems little ability to formulate much of a strategy and most play is just very reactive.
7) What could have been improved? Remembering all the rules :)

FJAdams

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - NetEA for Epic Armageddon Tournament
2) What armies were confronted? - Me: Orks Opponents: Krieg, Space Marine Imperial Fists, Krieg
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Mostly. Fortunately there were experts for technical help
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - Two in each round
6) What went well? First Game: Nothing. Second and Third games I lost both but on points
7) What could have been improved?  My lack of skill, and not playing an army that I couldn't kill most of what he put on the table

Same Weekend Before and After the Epic Tournament

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Warmaster
2) What armies were confronted? - 1st game Me: Wood Elves, Opponent: Chaos Elves, 2nd Game Me: Ogre Kingdoms, Opponent: High Elves
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? -No
5) How many players were in the game? -Two
6) What went well? Ogre Rhinox Riders shutting down his left flank, Doing so much damage to his dragon it became a non-factor
7) What could have been improved? Not rolling giants go crazy in 1st round making them not able to get into the battle

Womble67

Hi all

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Rapid Fire
2) What armies were confronted? - Russian vs German
5) How many players were in the game? - 3

23 Jul 2018, Russian vs Germans, Club

5) How many players were in the game? - 3

16 Jul 2018, Russian vs Germans, Club

5) How many players were in the game? - 4

25 Jun 2018, Russian vs Germans, Club

5) How many players were in the game? - 4

25 Jun 2018, Russian vs Germans, Club

5) How many players were in the game? - 2

18 Jun 2018, Russian vs Germans, Club

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

1. FoG

2. Trajanic Romans v. Dacians

3. Not too bad

4. No

5. 4 - 2 commands each side

6. Remembered how to actually play this game

7. Still  got battered - a lifetime to learn, 57 lifetimees to master.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Epic
2) What armies were confronted? - Swim Hann Eldar vs Blood angel Marines
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, even though it was  first time not playing my regular opponent
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - 5th
5) How many players were in the game? - two
6) What went well? Jet bikes mobility and counterpunching abilities
7) What could have been improved? My motivation dice (so many failed activation rolls) and my hit rills vs armour!

Great game both had a lot of fun and v close. My first loss 1-2), just couldn't crack his elites!

[/quote]
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Bloody Big Battles by Chris P, Vincent Tsao's 1st Bull Run scenario
2) What armies were confronted? - Union amateurs versus Confederate blunderers
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, but as I get little time to play I really need to read and reread before playing, and get more practise in :D
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Not at all. I did forget the play sheets I laminated so it was awkward but even the newer players (who've at least a scenario or two under their belts) were ok in a turn or two
5) How many players were in the game? - Four
6) What went well? Evans holding Matthews Hill, JEB Stuarts initial cavalry charge along the road from Newmarket into the undefended open flanks of two Union brigades, Jacksons recovery of the middle objective on Henry House Hill. The pre-printed battle map on PVC banner paper.
7) What could have been improved? Our dice. Oh my god, our dice. I don't think we got a single base loss from our fire, our mitivations were generally awful, and I routed two of our own Brigades off the table due to abysmal recover rolls. Mind, the Union weren't a lot better. Oh, our charge into Sherman's brigade where we caught them in March Column should have gone much better, too!

Superb scenario. Everyone is terrible. Command is abysmal. Almost everyone is Raw and Fragile, and armed with smooth bores so it becomes a close range flailing mess of idiocy, usually decided less by ones opponent than by sudden collapse in your own brigade cohesion after minimal casualties. Immensely fun, and a really well built scenario. We had to call it at the end of Turn 6 due to time with most objectives in dirty rebel hands, but only because the Union hadn't occupied them yet, as barring Jackson on Henry House Hill and some unsupported artillery which was skeddadling we'd got nothing anywhere to hold them with! Our final reinforcements had come on and blundered, and we'd have been lucky even with three more turns to get the useless slave owning aristo's and their befuddled cronies and lackeys anywhere useful.

End result was about 2500 casualties on the Union side with 500-100 run off, and double that on the Confederate side! It's safe to say that Vincents line on "the Confederates collapsed in victory as thoroughly as the Union collapsed in defeat" was entirely interchangeable :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

I've had a couple of goes at that scenario  and it is a toughie trying to get anyone to do anything.

toxicpixie

It certainly is. Fortunately it's easy enough to lurch up to contact, usually, as being Raw & Fragile & competent officer-less isn't too bad whilst in good order, but by Ghu as soon as the shooting starts it goes south very quickly! You'd have thought our having the finale, fresh, uncommitted reserves would have swung it but they just lurched on and stopped. I think my partners inability to roll above five on 2d6 for shooting had spread to all our dice for everything by then...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Steve J

I just love those scenarios, although they are immensely frustrating at times, they do give you an idea of why the historical battles went the way they did.

toxicpixie

They certainly do - Vincent seems to have captured the total chaos very well!

Chris Pringle

Quote from: toxicpixie on 27 July 2018, 03:05:37 PM
Superb scenario. Everyone is terrible. Command is abysmal. Almost everyone is Raw and Fragile, and armed with smooth bores so it becomes a close range flailing mess of idiocy, usually decided less by ones opponent than by sudden collapse in your own brigade cohesion after minimal casualties. Immensely fun, and a really well built scenario.

Delightful description, TP! Yes, this is a fun battle, and one that I've used successfully myself to introduce new players to BBB. Thanks for the AAR!

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

Bunny

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Hail Caesar
2) What armies were confronted? - Macedonian Successor, Seleucid v Ptolemy
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, very easy to pick up and play
5) How many players were in the game? - Two
6) What went well? Speed of play, easy to follow and FUN
7) What could have been improved?  My dice roll!

Leman

I think it might be time I took another look at Hail Caesar and see if I can persuade the guys at the club to give it a go instead of FoG.