What was the last ruleset you played 2018?

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 04 January 2018, 11:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vonlacy

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

paulr

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? – If The Lord Spares Us, by Too Fat Lardies
2) What armies were confronted? – Ottomans v British, 20 February 1918
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? – Not by a long way
5) How many players were in the game? – 3 on the first evening, 4 on the second

The new:
6) What went well? – One of the British Battalions
7) What could have been improved? – British deployment and command and control

We belatedly marked the 100th anniversary of the battle of Jebel Ekteif over the last two Saturdays.

The Talat ed Dumm - Jebel Ekteif range runs across the Jerusalem to Jericho road. The 180th British Brigade attacked the Talat ed Dumm end of the range up the main road while 179th British Brigade attacked the Jebel Ekteif end via the Pilgrim road. Our game looked at 179th British Brigade.

The Brigade attacked the eastern end of the range, including Jebel Ekteif with two battalions up. Another battalion was in reserve while the fourth battalion supported the two batteries of artillery deployed to cover the remainder of the range. The Brigade MG company covered the left flank of the assault while the Wellington Mounted Rifles covered the right. Armoured and Light cars advanced along the Pilgrim road to cross the Wadi Mukelik and support the assault.

As the two leading battalions approached the Ottoman trenches they received two very different receptions. The London Scottish on the left took fire from two Ottoman rifle companies, two MG companies and indirect fire from an Ottoman artillery battery. In contrast the Prince of Wales's Own Civil Service Rifles only took fire from two Ottoman rifle companies. Fire from the Civil Service Rifles and the supporting armoured cars reduced the effectiveness of the Ottoman fire.

It was about this point that the British realised they had two major problems.

In a desire to avoid potentially effective machine gun fire from the ridge the artillery and supporting infantry had been deployed too far back and were unable to spot any enemy in their trenches above them on the ridge. Similarly the MG company in the wadi was going to have to rely on spotting enemy troops firing to support the assault.

The Wellington Mounted Rifles were also deployed too far away from the ridge to spot the enemy and worse were out of contact with the Headquarters, 179th British Brigade.

One of the lead companies of the London Scottish was destroyed and casualties mounted in the other companies. In contrast the Civil Service Rifles had their paper work in order, this became a running joke, and managed to capture the eastern end of the Ottoman trench line expelling two companies of the weakest Ottoman battalion. They then repulsed a counter attack by two fresh Ottoman companies.

The British finally managed to partially sort their command and control issues and ordered the fourth battalion and one battery of artillery to advance to the wadi where the infantry was on the losing end of an exchange of fire with an entrenched Ottoman battalion. They did however pin this battalion in place. They also ordered the reserve battalion to advance and replace the London Scottish. Finally they ordered the Civil Service Rifles to advance along the range, hopefully taking the enemy in the flank.

One company of the Civil Service Rifles was blown off the top of the Jebel Ekteif by close range fire from an Ottoman artillery battery having previously driven the enemy infantry before them. Another company was steadily clearing the trench line supported by the Armoured and Lights cars. One over enthusiastic section of light cars was destroyed by fire from an Ottoman MG company.

The right most company of the Civil Service Rifles was poised to overrun the Ottoman artillery and avenge their colleagues.

It was at this point that the Ottomans conceded, they were going to be unable to inflict enough casualties on the British to force a draw.

The battle had been won by the Prince of Wales's Own Civil Service Rifles but a heavy price had been paid by the London Scottish. They had attacked with nearly 650 men, 80 had withdrawn.

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Techno

And again !!  :-bd

Looking forward to seeing the newest 'batch', Paul !! :)

Cheers - Phil

Steve J

Womble67

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Black Powder
2) What armies were confronted? - British v Rebels
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 3

19 Mar 2018, Russians V Germans, Club

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Black Powder
2) What armies were confronted? - British v Rebels
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 2

12 Mar 2018, Russians V Germans, Club

I hope you enjoy these

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

d_Guy

Great AAR and pics, Paul. Nice to see your trench sections back in use.
Sleep with clean hands ...

paulr

As a British player seeing that many trenches on the ridge was extremely daunting. I suspect that contributed to our timid deployment of the artillery and infantry on our left.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Imperial Skies
2) What armies fleet ship were confronted? - British vs French
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - first time out, but yes.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - yes, but it was great fun
5) How many players were in the game? - two
6) What went well? The rules. Pete brought a lovely terrain mat too.
7) What could have been improved? My French fleet all fell off their bases! Oh, and I lost, twice...

Game one was three-on-three and I lost three-nil!

Colourised shot from the British side, shortly after the loss off HMS Agincourt
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Not my sort of thing but a great looking game 8)

paulr

Quote from: mad lemmey on 22 March 2018, 11:26:00 PM
7) What could have been improved? My French fleet all fell off their bases! Oh, and I lost, twice...

In some ways I think they look better without the bases :)

Wasn't this their first outing...  the newly painted curse strikes again ;)

toxicpixie

Very nice! That the Wings of Glory/War playmat?

You've reminded me I need to sort painting the pack I got at Xmas :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner