What was the last ruleset you played 2018?

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 04 January 2018, 11:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vonlacy

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Captain General
2) What armies were confronted? - Franco-Reichesarmee v Prussians
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - No
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - Six
6) What went well? - Not a lot!
7) What could have been improved? - A QRS sheet in needed as these are detailed rules that have many charts. Found them to be slow, detailed and clunky as a set of rules. After three nights play we decided to abandon the game. I doubt we will revisit these rules again.

Here are a couple of pictures of the game.

7YW, Prussian infantry advance against the Franco-Reichesarmee.
by Michael Rourke, on Flickr

7YW, cavalry action on the flanks.
by Michael Rourke, on Flickr

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Shecky

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Shedman

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - BKC3
2) What armies were confronted? - Germans v British NW Europe 1944
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 4
6) What went well? We used the Recce rules from FWC
7) What could have been improved? - Off-board artillery deviation and certain weapon ranges

Westmarcher

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Honours of War
2) What armies were confronted? - Prussia (me) vs. Austria (the schizo)
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - no
5) How many players were in the game? - solo

This was a refight of Lobositz, 1756, in the Seven Years War. An even game to begin with but gradually my opponent gained the upper hand and won the day (I swear he can read my mind!). For photographs and a battle report, click on the following link. Honours of War Forum members can click on the thumbnails to enlarge the photos. Guests may have to zoom in or join the Forum (which is dead easy and quick to do).

http://honoursofwar.com/thread/484/wchinitz-10mm?page=1&scrollTo=3695
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Chris Pringle

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - BBB - but a stripped-down version for operational-level games
2) What armies were confronted? - 1796 Revolutionary French vs Piedmontese
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, gratifyingly so
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Only our second time with this version
5) How many players were in the game? - 5 players, including Dave T in a proper French hat (he's a reenactor as well)

I generally spare y'all on this thread from being bombarded with posts about my regular BBB games. This one was a bit different and special though. The scenario was an operational-level game that fits a week of action, encompassing three historical battles, spanning a rugged 30km battlefield, onto a 6'x4' table and <90 minutes of playing time. This is the second in a set of scenarios planned to accompany the forthcoming translation of Clausewitz's history of the 1796 campaign.

Dave W has been busily painting up his 10mm Pendraken armies for our 1796 games ... but hasn't finished enough yet, so we had to use 2mm, sorry!

Full AAR here:
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/mondovi-1796-game-of-book-of-campaign.html

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Shedman

Chris - you are a very bad person for tempting me with another period  ;)

Leman

1) They Died for Glory

2) Two identical French and Prussian 1870 avant-garde forces

3) Very comfortable with this old set, first played in the early 90s

5) This was a solo playtest to see whether my downsizing worked

6) Using samesize bases with a combat value, rather than number of figures to show strength, worked extremely well, as did using a half size table and cm instead of inches.

7) I needed to re-read the rule on voluntary and conditional fallbacks, amalgamations and rallying
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Chris Pringle

Quote from: Shedman on 22 February 2018, 02:42:03 PM
Chris - you are a very bad person for tempting me with another period  ;)

Just trying to keep you from straying down that SF / fantasy path ...    ;)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Mortiem et Gloriam
2) What armies were confronted? - my Sassanid Persians vs Greco-Bactrian
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - indeed
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - nope
5) How many players were in the game? - two and a neutral observer
6) What went well? Royal Asavran taking a full charge in the flank, turning round and beating up the unit that tried it! Catching two skirmishing cavalry units and running them over. Skirmishers repeatedly beating other skirmishers who should have run them over. Catching Catafracts in the flank
7) What could have been improved? Not letting my Catafracts get tractor beamed off into the distance by Bactrian light horse. Getting drawn out in all directions. Losing all my average horse archers to worse opponents!

Great game vs a master of cavalry armies. Lost 6-15, which is quite a positive result for me, quick rewrite of the list tomorrow and all is great.

[/quote]

Ace of Spades

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game?           Muskets and Tomahawks
2) What armies were confronted?                             French against British
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset?             Yes, starting to get the hang of it although we had 4 new players...
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? For some it was
5) How many players were in the game?                   6, 4 of whom were new
6) What went well?                                                 The new guys loved the system and the British won a sound victory...finally!
7) What could have been improved?                         Experience and for the French a better disposition of the available troops.

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!