What was the last ruleset you played 2018?

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 04 January 2018, 11:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Rebels & Patriots
2) What armies were confronted? - AWI British/Loyalist & Native Americans vs Americans
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - IPretty comfortable now
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo
6) What went well? - The Native American charge which went rather well.
7) What could have been improved? - The American command rolls and their morale saves, both of which were pretty damned poor.

FierceKitty

21 January 2018, 10:58:38 AM #16 Last Edit: 21 January 2018, 11:00:32 AM by FierceKitty
1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? -  Ten More Sons!
2) What armies were confronted? -  Imperialists vs French, renaissance
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? -  Very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? -  Far from it
5) How many players were in the game? - Two
6) Is Ian hung like a hamster? - Well, I don't want to discuss that here.
7) What went well? - I did win. Some of my weaker troops had very lucky rolls, and my gensd'armes and Switzers did not disappoint me.
8) What could have been improved? - It was raining for much of the battle, which hindered my superior artillery (though they enjoyed a bit too much luck as well), but also mucked up Spanish and Landsknecht smallarms. My cavalry got stuck in the mud a few times, but the imperial forces had command difficulties to offset that.

Renaissance battles are fun!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Hwiccee

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Twilight of Divine Right
2) What armies were confronted? - Royalists vs Alllies, Marston Moor 1644
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - 2 players
6) What went well? - The whole game - a cracking and close fight.
7) What could have been improved? - The Royalists pushed too far forward which left them exposed later on.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Mortiem et Gloriam
2) What armies were confronted? - Mid Republican Romans vs Spartans
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - extremely
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - err nope!
5) How many players were in the game? - 2
6) What went well? A unit of auxilia killed a hopilite spear block
7) What could have been improved? Everything else in my army that got run over by the Spartans! One time I was up, I completely missed him, my army disintegrated!

Hopefully that's my bad luck out the way before 4 games in Brighton this weekend!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

sunjester

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - BKC 2
2) What armies were confronted? - 1941 Brits (well Kiwis really) vs Italians
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - no!
6) What went well? From my point of view, it was Orcs forgetting he could use his off table artillery to drop smoke. =) Advancing his Kiwi infantry across a big open space against dug in Italians did not go well :d (even though most of my COs kept failing their command rolls!).
7) What could have been improved? The Italian command rolls!! ;D

Leman

1. Tin Soldiers in Action
2. 1870s British v. German
3. Yes, I have played these a number of times now
5. 2
6. As the Germans I won, holding on to all three objectives and virtually wiping out the British Guards. ahe game moved along very smartly
7. Nothina
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Iacta alea est!
2) What armies were confronted? - Roman Rebublican vs Seleucid
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - 2 players
6) What went well? - The whole game - hard-fought, with some desperate defences on both sides holding out against all odds; legionaries really can be a very tough nut indeed.
7) Is it true what they say about you Africans? - Yes, actually.
7) What could have been improved? - Desperately poor performance by the agema cavalry; held up most of the game by a handful of velites.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Mortiem te Gloriam
2) What armies were confronted? - Mid Republican Roman vs Selucids, Alexandrian Expeditionary Force, Parthians and Warly I perail Romans
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - absolutely definitely
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? -no
5) How many players were in the game? - 14 playing over the weekend
6) What went well? Taking apart Selucids, holding off against the Parthains until they made a mistake and smashing them
7) What could have been improved? My mood when playing a cheesy list full of charging knights and light infantry in skirmish that I couldn't catch!
Event was held at 'The Dice Saloon' in Brighton, cracking shop, with cafe, licence, and loads of playing spaces. It was busy from the moment we got there until long after we left, but not just grumpy-middle-aged-white-men. All ages, races, sexes, mostly playing card and board games, some Xwing and D&D, friendly, helpful staff and great food.
Best bit of all, I won 'Best Sportsman'

This caught me completely by surprise.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Quote from: mad lemmey on 28 January 2018, 11:08:38 PM
7) What could have been improved? My mood when playing a cheesy list full of charging knights and light infantry in skirmish that I couldn't catch!
Best bit of all, I won 'Best Sportsman'
This caught me completely by surprise.

Perhaps your mood wasn't as obvious as you thought, or more likely the cheese was so smelly that the game didn't count ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Poseidon's Warriors
2) What armies fleetswere confronted? - Rome vs Carthage, 1st Punic War
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Actually, yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Actually. Yes!
6) What went well? Everything, my two fleets looked awesome on a friend's sea mat. Roman shipboard artillery was effective in breaking up Carthaginian formations, Carthaginians smashed into Romans, their rams sending many warriors to meet Neptune. However, if the sturdy Roman Quinqueremes survived the ram, the Roman Corvii grappled the Carthaginians, and because the Romans had more marines, the Carthaginians lost a lot of ships to boarding actions!
At the point where we had both lost 12 ships each, and needed to roll 4+ to stay fighting. (Fleets being under 1/4 and 1/2 strength causes morale tests, as does the loss of an Admiral) the Romans passed, and the Carthaginians didn't... They turned tail to limp off and lick their wounds.
7) What could have been improved? Really, not much. It was great!
It's a good game. Simple, fast (unless you're a Roman galley with a Corvus fitted) lethal and great fun. Combats are deadly. Rules are simple, but well thought out. They work well and give a good effect.
Next game booked for a month!

Full report on the blog tomorrow. :)

FierceKitty

That sea looks rather good.

Were the Romans actually using naval artillery yet?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

sunjester

Stop laying out temptation like this!  X_X I don't need another genre to game (at the moment). :^o

Ithoriel

Looks good ML!

Must get my Roman fleet painted so I have some opposition for my Carthaginians.

Too busy painting my homo heidelbergensis tribe for Tribal at the moment. so many projects, so little time!  =)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Orcs

Quote from: sunjester on 02 February 2018, 08:15:22 AM
Stop laying out temptation like this!  X_X I don't need another genre to game (at the moment). :^o

We could start small - You buy one fleet I will get the other.

:)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson