What was the last ruleset you played 2018?

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 04 January 2018, 11:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

Not to mention Kaiser!

1) The Men Who Would Be Kings

2) NW Frontier patrol v. the local upstart

3) Absolute doddle to pick up

4) First time I had ever played it

5) Two players

6) As the upstart my chaps (irregular infantry) did well to grab the high ground, whilst the utterly hopeless, but fine moustachioed, British gunnery officer didn't seem to realise that this might be a problem.

7) Unfortunately the British infantry officer was a much more clued in chap and gave my irregulars a jolly good thrashing with concentrated volleys.
Finally word got through to the slumbering artillery, who let rip fine style into my charging horde of tribesmen, and also saw off the sneaky flank attack with my irregular cavalry.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Womble67

Quote from: Ithoriel on 18 April 2018, 12:50:23 PM
Err ...
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Hail Caesar
2) What armies were confronted? - Russian vs German :) :) :)

Great pics of what looks to have been a couple of cracking games!

Yeah that's what happens when you try and be clever by copying and pasting.

I particularly enjoyed playing Hail Caesar as it's been ages since we've had the Romans and gauls out.

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Wulf

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - What a Tanker!
2) What armies were confronted? - German vs Brits
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Couple of errors, but not bad
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - 2

TooFatLardie's latest rules are simple, fast play tank skirmish rules - you can play an entire game with just a couple of minis a side! It's a very rules-light action oriented set of rules, I can best liken it to the online game 'World of Tanks', but with minis.

I ordered the rules from the website Wednesday, they were dispatched Thursday, I got them Friday and played my first game Saturday. Not bad service  :D I got most of my familiarisation with the rules from the various YouTube video playthroughs, which may explain the errors...

I threw together a N African themed table (I had the buildings & the palm trees handy), and 2 PzIII (a 3.7cm & a 5cm), a PzJg 1 and a StuG IIIB faced off against a Churchill I, Valentine II, Crusader II and an A13. We played in 10mm scale, naturally, so converted all inches to 2cm.

The Churchill & Val, both Slow & Heavy Armour, advanced all of about 20cm (over many game turns) before they fell ( the Val in flames, the Churchill abandoned) after repeated shots from both Pz III and the StuG. The A13 kept the PzJg I busy over the other side of the table until the Crusader, desperately getting out of the way of the Pz IIIs, chased the PzJg off, making good use of it's Fast trait. With 50% of the force down (and the time getting late), the Brits conceded the field...

I did get the rules on spotting & damage slightly wrong (but equally for both sides) in manners which stretched the game out but didn't really change it, but it was a damn fun game!

Leman

1. Longstreet

2. I863 in the Eastern Theatre

3. I felt very comfortable with the rules, even though I hadn't used them in about three or four years. Very quickly back into the swing of things after the first couple of turns.

5. This was a two player game.

6. What went well? This was a try out prior to doing the full campaign, probably in the Western Theatre. The game itself played very well and looked like the small battle it was, with a larger Confederate force gradually pushing back a defending Union force. The game went through two complete reshuffles of the card decks and took about  3 1/2 hours all told.

7. What could have gone better. Despite being a 15mm game it probably would have played better on a 5x3 rather than a 6x4. Almost the entire left quarter of the field was not used, as well as the further 9 inches of the right flank. The first three turns involved the Confederates simply making their way across the table to get into range. Their gun battery featured a 12pdr howitzer, which never fired as it never got into range (its accompanying Napoleons did sterling work). The game lasted a long time but the Union could have done with at least one more unit of veterans to put up a stauncher fight when the Confederates charged. The scenario was number 5 in the rulebook, with a seasoned veteran Confederate force of 6 to 8 stand units (some of the 8s being recruits) attacking a smaller force of Union 8 stand recruits with a single unit of 6 stand veterans and a 10 stand force of eager recruits entering the fray on turn 7. Finally I had a Confederate infantry regiment in canister range of my three light rifles. "Just so long as I don't roll threes." I then rolled three 3s - oh how we laughed  :'( . Needless to say, the photogenic Union generals (the objective) were captured by the Rebs. Serves them right for being such posers.

Wulf

Quote from: Leman on 24 April 2018, 08:53:58 AM
7. ...The first three turns involved the Confederates simply making their way across the table to get into range.
This is one of the things I really appreciate about Too fat Lardies games (there are probably many others I don't know of) where they implement ways to get troops into contact range without having to move them across the table over multiple turns - Sharpe Practice Blinds make the job easier just moving a single blind for the unit, while Chain Of Command has jump-off points deployed in an initial scouting sequence.

Leman

The problem was easily avoidable with a smaller table. There still needs to be enough depth to give artillery an opportunity to slow down an attack or soften up the defence. The smaller table would have given the confederates time to dress their ranks and get off a couple of rounds of artillery fire before closing in the third turn, either with a charge, or more likely some preliminary musketry. I am hoping to try out the Real Time Wargames' Wars of the Roses rules soon, which set up the armies within charge reach.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Sabresquadron
2) What armies were confronted? - Argentines vs British in glorious 10mm.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - I was playing the author, found a couple of things he missed (amphibious vehicle going up an estuary)
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - sixth game
5) How many players were in the game? - two (our Finnish contingent couldn't make it  :( )
6) What went well? Perfeckly timed artillery strike by Argentine 105mm battery catching the Welsh Guard platoon on the hop. argentine morale was amazing. Assault onto British positions by 3 platoon carried the day.
7) What could have been improved? Argentine special forces not being bullet magnets for the Royal Marines. 2nd platoon of Grunts not stalling just before assaulting . Harriers not being quite so accurate, or turning up time after time!
Full report when Nick sends through photos.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Smoking gun

The traditional questions:

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game?             Victorian Steel
2) What armies were confronted?                               British Empire v Indian Mutineers
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset?               Fairly
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset?   No
5) How many players were in the game?                     Three

The new:
6) What went well?                                                  Game ebbed and flowed due to command and control rules.
7) What could have been improved?                          British Empire dice throwing ;)

The battle played was Agra 10 October 1857 from the Victorian Steel scenario book.

Martin
Now they've knocked me down and taken it, that still hot and smoking gun.

Leman

Another game of FoG in which my army was defeated.

SV52

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? -                          One Hour Wargames Pike and Shot on hexes.
2) What armies were confronted? -                                            Scottish Government v Montrose Royalists
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? -                            Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? -                No
5) How many players were in the game? -                                  One

The new:
6) What went well?                                                                  Pretty much all of it really.
7) What could have been improved?                                          Rules governing cavalry firearms, can't charge until they run out of ammunition.

Fictitious battle on fictitious terrain.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Womble67

Hi all

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Rapid Fire
2) What armies were confronted? - Russian vs German
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 3

This was a massive game organised by Colin Rumford (Author of Rapid Fire) & Howard Greenwood

30 Apr 2018, Russian vs Germans, Club

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Rapid Fire
2) What armies were confronted? - Russian vs German
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 16 approximately

26 to 29 2018, Operation Market Garden

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Mortiem et Gloriam
2) What armies were confronted? - Senguko Samurai vs Tudors (the rematch)
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - utterly
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - nah!
5) How many players were in the game? - two
6) What went well? Not much!
7) What could have been improved? Erm, from the Tudor side, everything!!!!
http://madlemmey.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05/battle-of-hop-fields-10mm-mortiem-et.html
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

pierre the shy

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - For King and Parliament
2) What armies were confronted? - Scots Royalists vs Covenanters
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, third game
5) How many players were in the game? - 5
6) What went well? By the end of the game our three "first time" players had picked up the game mechanics pretty well and were able to swiftly work out their unit odds and which units of their brigade needed to move when.
7) What could have been improved? The Covenant could have done with a few more successful "to hit" chits when it really mattered and learn to skirmish with their cavalry rather than just charge home ;)

Paul and I ran this game to introduce the other members of our regular gaming group to FK&P. I think we were pretty successful with that aim, plenty of period joviality between the two sides (along with appropriate bagpipe background music thanks to Roy's vinyl collection  :) ) . This was a very close game as the Covenant decided to meet the Royalists head on. Despite Montrose's command waffling around on the right for most of the game and the eventual destruction of Kilpont's highland brigade it was the veteran Irish who carried the day for the Royalists. Maybe they were motivated by revenge following the death of McColla from a lucky shot from the Perth Militia forlorn hope, but eventually using their salvo firing tactics they rolled enough units of Tulliebardine's command to convince the Covenanters to withdraw form the field. The result of game came down to one combat where either side could have taken the 3 medals needed to win, the Royalists ended up winning 14 to 12.

So a good result despite the close loss - personally I felt really happy with the rules and our decision to proceed with our order from Pendraken. 
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Leman

1. Walter Schnaffs - Square Bashing the FPW

2. Imperial French v. Prussian

3. Very comfortable with these rules after a number of games

5. Two players plus an interested observer

6. The new players picked up the rules very quickly. The Prussians did particularly well in the pre game, winning the attack points and losing only one unit to the reserves. The new players enjoyed the game so much they decided to buy armies and the rules.

7. The French performed poorly in the pre-game, and although only two infantry bases were lost entirely, two thirds of the French army was put into reserve, including all the artillery. Despite this, the victory calculation at the end of the game gave the Prussians only a minor victory, mainly because about half the French reserves never appeared, so couldn't take any casualties; only one French unit was routed, and the French managed to hold the crossroads.