What was the last ruleset you played 2018?

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 04 January 2018, 11:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Home brew amalgam of Operation Warboard and Quarrie, et al
2) What armies were confronted? - Germans v Russians 1944
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - not by a looong way
5) How many players were in the game? - four
6) What went well? The Luftwaffe intercepting all the attacking Russian aircraft #:-S
7) What could have been improved? The Russian airstrike #-o

The Russians were attempting to break through the Germans encircling Leningrad. The initial Russian bombardment took out half the German artillery. But the Germans managed to get their Tigers and Panthers into good blocking positions and the Russian T34/85, KV-1 & T34/76s struggled to make enough head way.

If the Russian airstrike had arrived and thinned out the German artillery even further then things might have been easier for the Russians.
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

vonlacy

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Blitzkrieg Commander
2) What armies were confronted? - Russian vs German
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Vert
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 6

This March we have been playing a campaign set in the Baltic/East Prussia.

The Germans are backs against the wall trying to hold a disintegrating front, movement hampered by refugees and retreating units, units short of fuel and ammunition.
The Soviets have the men, the equipment and the strength to crush the Germans but the size of their forces makes them unwieldy.

The first game saw a German Infantry Brigade over-run by a large Soviet Infantry Army.

In the second game an over confident Soviet Tank Army commander take on a German Infantry group supported by heavy weapons. The tanks tried to roll over Panzer Grenadiers occupying a wooded hillside and came a cropper as the panzer fausts and shreks reaked mayhem on the unsupported tank battalions. The Soviet player pulled off to await the infantry.

The third game saw the 2nd Soviet Shock Army take on the 65th Infantry. The Soviets were surprised by a STuG battalion hidden in the right hand woods. Two T34s were KOed. The Soviets managed to suppress the STuGs  and then, in their following move destroyed them.

IMG_8398 by Michael Rourke, on Flickr

On the left the Germans used their Jagdpanther and other heavy assets to stall the Soviet advance but accurate shooting sees two assets destroyed.

IMG_8399 by Michael Rourke, on Flickr

The Germans realising the game is up have a good run of dice and quit the board. As this was a hasty attack by the Soviets they could not pursue the Germans. The Germans however have had their force split.

IMG_8396 by Michael Rourke, on Flickr

The campaign continues after Easter. For those who haven't campaigned before I can heartily recommend it as it  forces players to really think about how they use their forces.

Womble67

Look like you had a good game

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

paulr

Nice looking game vonlacy  :-bd =D> :-bd

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Home brew amalgam of Operation Warboard and Quarrie, et al
2) What armies were confronted? - Germans v Russians 1944
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - not by a looong way
5) How many players were in the game? - four
6) What went well? The scenario, it generated a lot of fun and quite a few headaches
7) What could have been improved? The shooting of my Tiger guarding my left flank

Last Hussar

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Sword and Spear, 2 v 2 with large armies
2) What armies were confronted? - Wars of the Roses. Who was what was never worried about
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Mostly.  Most of the basics stuck.  Rules queries were quickly sorted by those who owned the book.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Played a game last Monday to learn the rules with Sunjester in preparation for today's all day game
5) How many players were in the game? - 4 (as fitting for a 2 v 2)

The new:
6) What went well? My bottle of beer, getting the understanding about what is best for a unit in activating it isn't necessarily best for the overall local situation.
7) What could have been improved?  I think we forgot a rule about testing for units near a defeated unit a few times.  My dice rolling as per usual, however my dismounted men at arms did well.  If it was me I would have written an Orbat specific roster to help me find what I wanted, but that's just me.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - The Pikemen's Lament
2) What armies were confronted? - Parliamentarian vs Royalist
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo
6) What went well? - The rules came back to me, which was great as it's sometime since I last played these.
7) What could have been improved? - The Blunders, as the Parliamentarians had two, both of which saw them lose two four point units, the last when they had manged to get into a good position!

Some more games to come so that I'm fully au fait with the rules before our Salute demo game

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Mortiem et Gloriam
2) What armies were confronted? - White Sheep Turkomen vs Catalan Company in Anatolia
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - completely
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - nope
5) How many players were in the game? - two
6) What went well? Despite being out numbered, out classes and out played, I won! Useless bows, holding full fat knights for three turns in combat before they could be rescued. Shooting a key unit. Catching other units from behind. Realising how to use my armies manoeuvrability. Having Shaun the Sheep as a legendary cinc!
7) What could have been improved? Losing a unit due to being stupidly badly positioned. Parking the flank of one of my most expensive units too near a village, and being hit by raving loonies!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

6) What went well? - The Parliamentarian shooting, which gave them fire ascendancy which they didn't relinquish.
7) What could have been improved? - Remembering that Clubmen can shoot.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Warband
2) What armies were confronted? - taurians vs Hill Dwarves vs High Elves in Fight For The River Ford
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - absolutely
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - this year, shamefully, yes, but otherwise, no.
5) How many players were in the game? - three
6) What went well? Minotaur charging elves in the back while dwarf general hit them from the front. Rallying broken Minotaur, randomly placing ALL the terrain in sector 1, three small hills a large hill and an impassable, then the Dwarves ending up in that sector (at random), and only one of their units had 'hillwalkers'!  =O we all rolled1 for deployment,  (but chose to split to other sectors), 8 1s on the trot!!!
7) What could have been improved? Ditching the Minotaur mage, as he did nothing all game d6-1, not so helpful. John had his usual run of bad dice, but was far more mobile than when he used Elves!
Full blog write up later, but needless to say, huge amounts of hilarity ensued!
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

6) What went well? - The Royalist comeback after an early Parliamentarian lead.
7) What could have been improved? - The Blunders rolled by both sides plus the Parliamentarian leader dying the second game in a row.

paulr

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - BB DBA
2) What armies were confronted? - III/66 Fatimid Egyptian, III/74b Other Seljuq Turkish, IV/6a Syrian v IV/1a Komnenan Byzantine, IV/2 Cilician Armenian,IV/7 Early Crusader
5) How many players were in the game? - Four
6) What went well? - Early shooting by the Byzantines & Armenians and the Crusader Knights recovering from being driven back onto their own bow
7) What could have been improved? - Me allowing the Byzantine general to get mugged by a couple of Turkish bow and the subsequent destruction of the Byzantine army

The Crusaders and Armenians went on to win :) without the Byzantines :(

Steve J

2) What armies were confronted? - Great Northern War Swedes vs Russians
6) What went well? - The Shooting from both sides.
7) What could have been improved? - Both Command unit Forlorn Hopes mutually destroying each other in Close Assault!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Mortiem et Gloriam
2) What armies were confronted? - Later Imperial Roman vs Sassanid Persians
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - yes, opponents second game
5) How many players were in the game? - two
6) What went well? Cheap auxilia Killing cavalry, pushing enemy light horse around, three units doing more damage than the four legions that legged it early
7) What could have been improved? My shield cover was not quite as effective as I hoped! Not taking so many shooting hits!

Had to call it a game as my opponent had come all the way from Essex to play and was tired, 6-8 to him as the game ended, with two of his units in big trouble!

Womble67

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Hail Caesar
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Reasonably
5) How many players were in the game? - 2

16 Apr 2018, Celts vs Romans, Club

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Blitzkrieg Commander
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Reasonably
5) How many players were in the game? - 3

9 Apr 2018, Russian vs Germans, Club

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

Ithoriel

Err ...
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Hail Caesar
2) What armies were confronted? - Russian vs German :) :) :)

Great pics of what looks to have been a couple of cracking games!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data