Modern Times

Started by d_Guy, 04 January 2018, 03:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Quote from: d_Guy on 11 January 2018, 03:17:12 PM
@Phil - thanks! I totally 2nd fsn suggestion - I use my iPhone (kindle and Amazon Music player). We have "unlimited" which means we get bunches (billions!) of albums and books as free downloads - this came about when my iPod dies two years ago. Incidently IIRC you made the jump to win10 - the win10 emergency patches MAY be the iPod problem  - it came on in pieces - and some non-Microsoft peripherals became flaky. My first clue was my Verbatim external drive was no longer recognized - "out of date driver" windows said. I took that as gospel and was trying to sort it out with Verbatim when my machine went blue screen. The Verbatim works fine with the aforementioned XP machine!

Hi Bill...I had wondered whether this 'patch' had done something ! (Having seen your post....and some reports on the net.)

I haven't let Apple update the 'pod' for a long time..(If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it.)...Until yesterday, when one of the repairs told me that I was up to date on the iPod....I'll probably find out if that's the case when I send it off to be repaired (if it's worth it !)

I DID go to Win 10.....But only for a couple of weeks, and then paid some techy person to put it back to 8.1.....BUT I believe that 8.1 PCs are going to be 'patched'....But nothing further back than that.

Too late !!.....'Fraid I've already gone and bought another iPod....Which looks like it's got oodles of features that I'll never, ever use.....Even a camera. (Bit of a waste that, as it'll never leave the house, unless (until ?) I get another stay in hospital.  ;D ;D ;D

Not going to play with the 'pod' until the weekend, when I've got more time to swear at it.....and export the thousands of songs still on the PC.

'Bout time I backed up all my stuff onto the two externals.  X_X

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Phil, NOONE with any computer skill ever ever backs anything up, they just tell other people to do it !!!
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Quote from: ianrs54 on 12 January 2018, 09:30:19 AM
Phil, NOONE with any computer skill ever ever backs anything up, they just tell other people to do it !!!

Yes, Ian, but you KNOW I don't have any computer skills.  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

urbancohort

;D
Quote from: d_Guy on 04 January 2018, 03:17:57 PM
There was a time, long ago now, when one could repair ones personal conveyance with little more than a screw driver, a crescent wrench, and a gutsy feeling about how things probably worked. This is now far from the case. My wife's five year old car died yesterday. Original battery coupled with sub-zero (F) temps killed it.

It is parked, nose first, in a carport by the side door. No possible way to get jumper cables to it. It is keyless, computer controlled and locked in park, so sitting there like a slab of granite, a very cold slap of granite. When you look under the hood - nothing but a collection of black boxes of various sizes and shapes -  identifying the battery was not trivial. Got it right on the second try. Volt meter reads 0.00.

Switching batteries used to be simple. Not now. Started the old fashion way - two hours later, with frozen hands, finally got the tie down strap off but still could not shift it. Finally resorted to looking at repair manuals on-line (the horror!) It seems that I have to disassembly the windshield wipers, fluid reservoir, upper engine cowling, lower engine cowling, battery rear cover (ah hah!), then I can remove the battery. In addition to a few tools I do have, I will need a clutch head screwdriver and two metric socket sizes I don't have (they'll be here Saturday from amazon).

Rooting around in my neighbors garage we did find one of the sockets so I got the wipers off - but then darkness fell and the wind picked up. There was now hoarfrost in my beard.

This morning talked to automotive supply - they have had a serious run on batteries - they'll have one for us by Saturday morning (they hope).

Apparently yesterday was our "warm" day - so may have to wait until Monday (it should then be a balmy 25 F - think I'll wear shorts ) in order to work. In the meantime this has cut into my painting time - which is tragic!  :)
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....