Modern Times

Started by d_Guy, 04 January 2018, 03:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

Quote from: Techno on 05 January 2018, 01:35:55 PM

"Here we go....a chewed wire."

.... did Nobby run out of coats?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Techno

I hope not, Westie.

I've almost certainly blown the real culprit's brains out with a little piece of lead.....Either that, or caught the little sod in a snap trap.
You know....One of the snap traps that b*ggered my thumb nail. :'( :'(

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Looks like you need a puss tat, should relive that problem.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

d_Guy

Sleep with clean hands ...

ErHo

Quote from: ianrs54 on 05 January 2018, 04:17:48 PM

Need a what now?

I guess thats another British jargon that doesn't translate as intended when you get across the pond?

Or is it?

"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer

Techno

Quote from: ianrs54 on 05 January 2018, 04:17:48 PM

When we used to have lots of cats, they used to get virtually all of the smaller ones. (Along with a lot of the wildlife we wished they hadn't gone after.)
The bigger ones were a different matter. The cats wouldn't take those on.

The Labradors catch the odd one of those, as does the little collie.
The rest I usually  have to use the pop gun on.  ;)

The bigger vermin are real neophobes, and won't go near snap traps, unfortunately.

Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

Quote from: d_Guy on 05 January 2018, 08:56:48 PM
Apparently you lot have a rent-a-cat app available:
http://www.theweek.co.uk/63501/rent-a-cat-app-lets-londoners-borrow-rodent-catching-moggie

No longer in business. Maybe too many weren't coming back from Chinese customers.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

SV52

Beg, borrow, steal or buy more jumper cables and join them together; garbage bags are good insulators for the joins.  Had to resort to that once, long, long ago.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

d_Guy

Actually a very good idea, SV25. Had not considered that, got to focused on beating the machine into submission.  ;)
Have just gotten the new battery. Way to cold to work - maybe tomorrow or Monday. Since we have my old run-about - not to critical.

On a completely separate thing, SV52, I'm now working on Flodden and enjoyed looking at your work on your blog.  :-bd

d_Guy

Was warm enough Monday (28 F) that I was able to fix the car. On-line manuals and YouTube be blessed!
I enjoyed the funny comments  here ;D

Yesterday evening - Windows 10 updated (it has been flawless since early Nov.) - now have "blue screen of death".
I shan't recount all the things I've done to try to recover. MS is trying to add a security layer for the "Meltdown/et. al" Intel architecture exploit.
I have 2010 machine with AMD chipset - which is now not compatible with Windows 10 - what was a perfectly good machine yesterday is now door stop. I'm going to put an old SCO-UNIX on it and use it as a local server (maybe). modern times!

I still get CERT alerts - but no longer read them - If I had done - I could have avoided this - my bad!

fred.

It's not going well on the modern tech front!

There is a known issue with AMD win10 and the patches for the latest processor issues. Didn't pay too much attention as I no longer have any AMD kit. Unix sounds a good idea.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Techno

I had a 'tech' problem yesterday, too. :'( :'( :'( :'(

Popped a few CDs onto iTunes on the PC....Plugged the iPod in, to transfer them....all seemed to work as normal....Then found EVERY single song on the iPod had been deleted.
"There is a fault (on the iPod)" said the PC...."Would you like to fix it ?"

Yes please......Fault says it's been repaired....."Format iPod".....(OK)

Plug iPod back into PC.....The PC tells me there's a fault on the iPod, again.

Went through the same process....and then again, two more times, before deciding the iPod had died.

I'll get a new one on the Argos card.......Have to save some pennies to get the dead iPod checked over by a repair centre I've used before.....And if it's worth repairing, I'll get it fixed.

Sympathies, Bill !

Cheers - Phil.

fsn

Dear Techno.

The 2010's are calling.

The iPod is sooo last decade! Before diving into an iPod, I'd look at other options - perhaps an iPad or a Kindle. They can play music and do so much more.

The Kindle will read books to you whilst you putty about.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

SV52

Quote from: d_Guy on 06 January 2018, 04:48:46 PM
Actually a very good idea, SV25. Had not considered that, got to focused on beating the machine into submission.  ;)
Have just gotten the new battery. Way to cold to work - maybe tomorrow or Monday. Since we have my old run-about - not to critical.

On a completely separate thing, SV52, I'm now working on Flodden and enjoyed looking at your work on your blog.  :-bd

Enjoy yourself with Flodden.  The bit I liked most was the research. The new additions to the Renaissance ranges will result in much better looking armies. One difficulty I had was choosing a figure ratio which looked reasonable for the disparity in numbers without having to paint too many Scots pikemen.  Take care which Surrey banner you choose as the one carried at Flodden was different to that after, since Henry VIII awarded an 'augmentation' to the arms following Surrey's victory.  If memory serves it consisted of a small rampant lion with an arrow in its mouth placed on the upper portion of the white bend.  Sadly I lost all my heraldic records and flags in a disk crash  ~X(

There's a guy called Ray Rousell did a lot of work on Flodden as well, his blog is at http://onelover-ray.blogspot.co.uk/
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

d_Guy

@Fred - my wife is looking into NFS apps for our iPads - if that gets sorted, a Unix server for file storage will work.
Dug out my old lap top (Windows-XP) fired up fine and I'll only put it on local net so MS can't get a hold of it. It has an early version of Corel photoshop (which I need for my blogs) - it can handle NFS so this all MAY work.

@Phil - thanks! I totally 2nd fsn suggestion - I use my iPhone (kindle and Amazon Music player). We have "unlimited" which means we get bunches (billions!) of albums and books as free downloads - this came about when my iPod dies two years ago. Incidently IIRC you made the jump to win10 - the win10 emergency patches MAY be the iPod problem  - it came on in pieces - and some non-Microsoft peripherals became flaky. My first clue was my Verbatim external drive was no longer recognized - "out of date driver" windows said. I took that as gospel and was trying to sort it out with Verbatim when my machine went blue screen. The Verbatim works fine with the aforementioned XP machine!

@SV52 - thanks also - I had recently seen Ray's blog - lots of Flodden flags - sorry you lost your research - madding!
After strong misgivings - I am backing my stuff up on cloud (although "Meltdown" might be a BIG problem for cloud servers!)