Question for early ancienteers

Started by FierceKitty, 03 January 2018, 12:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

03 January 2018, 12:13:58 PM Last Edit: 03 January 2018, 12:19:58 PM by FierceKitty
Apart from the Assyrians and Hebrews, who were the enemies of the Midianites and their allies? Did they ever trade arrows with the Egyptins or the Cimmerian/Skythian peoples?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

03 January 2018, 01:13:59 PM #2 Last Edit: 03 January 2018, 01:28:58 PM by FierceKitty
Did they bang heads with the Midianites?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Early Medes, but I think they may be a bit late.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

d_Guy

Kitty, I don't know if this is helpful but off the top of my head from Hebrew scripture: I believe they allied with the Amalekites against the Hebrews and at some point got their butts kicked by the Moabites (or maybe Edomites or maybe both).
Sleep with clean hands ...

Orcs

According to my DBA 1.1 list their enemies are:-

New Kingdom Egyptian
Early Hebrew
Later Canaanite, Ugaritic or Syrian
New Babylonian
Later Hebrew
Lybian Egyptian
Kushite Egyptian
New Assyrian
Early Achaemid Persian
Antigonid
Later Selucid

So quite a few options there.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

Quote from: Orcs on 03 January 2018, 05:45:50 PM
According to my DBA 1.1 list their enemies are:-

New Kingdom Egyptian
Early Hebrew
Later Canaanite, Ugaritic or Syrian
New Babylonian
Later Hebrew
Lybian Egyptian
Kushite Egyptian
New Assyrian
Early Achaemid Persian
Antigonid
Later Selucid

So quite a few options there.

Thanks. Quite a few there, but I don't entirely trust those DBA lists (don't they give Incas and Mexicans as enemies, though they were never with 2, 000 km of each other?). The armies fighting the successors, and possibly Persians, were Nabateans, I think. What I'd really like would be to find out that they really did raid Egyptian lands at some time.
A small 2018 project is a morphable Arab army, with some distinctive early double-mounted camelry for earlier armies, replaced by cataphract camels (Hatrenes) for later ones.

Orcs

I agree some of the WRG Barker stuff is historically tweaked towards gaming.

However the Midianites lived in roughly what is now Saudi Arabia and according to the Bible were a constant scourge with attacks on the Hebrews. Ancient Egypt bordered onto these lands so its a fair  guess that they would have attacked the Egyptians.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

Which is welcome news. I think they'll be an interesting enemy.

Steve J

I'll have a look in my Chariot Wars book by Nigel Stillman to see if there is any info contained therein. Assuming I remember of course :D

FierceKitty

Steve J

The only information I can find in the book is this; "In the face of a large raid by Midianite and Amalekite nomads, Gideon mustered tribesmen from Asher, Zebulun, Napatali and Manesseh." So looking at the only map where they are shown, they would have raided the Hebrew kingdoms to the North, Eygpt to the West (not sure whether to include the Hyksos here) and the various kingdoms/empires to the East.

The following is useful background info as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midian

Hope this helps?

FierceKitty

urbancohort

Quote from: d_Guy on 03 January 2018, 05:01:13 PM
Kitty, I don't know if this is helpful but off the top of my head from Hebrew scripture: I believe they allied with the Amalekites against the Hebrews and at some point got their butts kicked by the Moabites (or maybe Edomites or maybe both).
As long as it wasn't the sodomites... :o
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

DanJ

QuoteAs long as it wasn't the sodomites... Shocked

Too busy to post on this topic now but I'll get round to it Gomorrah  :D