10mm Napoleonics

Started by paulalba, 14 November 2010, 07:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulalba

Hi there,
    I am not sure if this is the right section to post in but I'm needing a little advice on basing 10mm Naps.

I just picked up a load of 10mm Pendraken and other manufactures French Infantry, cavalry, commands and artillery and was wondering what size of base and how many to a base.

It isn't for a particular rule set just to have them done.

Thanks in advance
Paul

Last Hussar

I intend to go 10mm for Napoleonics next year, for Black Powder.  I am trying to choose between 2 rows of 3 on 20mm bases, 6 to a unit, or 4 wide on 30mm, 4 to a unit.  If I go for the latter I am tempted to put a third row on.  The 30mmmay fit with more rule sets, especially US ones where they seem to go quite often Inch and an eigth.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

paulalba

Thanks Last Hussar,
         I think it will be 30mm I'll go for.
Cheers
Paul

Blaker

I use 40x20 bases with 2 rows of 4 for regular line and 2 rows of 3 for lights and 3 figures for skirmishers. We use DBN a very fun and fast play set. Games last around an hour, a bit longer if multiple players per side  ;)

nikharwood

Mine are all on 40x20mm; two ranks of 5 figures for infantry, 4 cavalry / base - for use with NapoleonicMaster & (now) Black Powder- pics here:

http://nikharwood.pbworks.com/w/page/7825476/NapoleonicMaster

Black Powder batrep v SteveJ here: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=966.0

NTM

If you are going for generic basing I would suggest 40x20 with 8-10 infantry per base, 3 bases per unit (has the added benefit of using 1 pack per unit)

Last Hussar

I toyed with the 3 base option. 6 x  20mm bases has the advantage of being this but also being more flexable.  The only problem with 40mm is if you want to show a march/road column, as opposed to attack column.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

ciaphas

Paul you should speek to JP as he has some based for GDB.

jon

Hertsblue

You really should decide what set of rules you are going to go for. Even if you only mock up a few shapes to try out various rules. Believe me, re-basing is a total pig once you've set the figures into filler.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Dragoon

Age of Eagles !
Wargames Illustrated wil be featuring Boradino very shortly (in 15mm.) the bases are 3/4" wide by 1" deep (20mm X 25mm) 4 figures to a base in 2 ranks  with the Russians haveing 6 bases to a brigade.
The old hands use 40mm wide bases to speed up movement with just 2 standard sie bases fo casualties.
In 10mm you will gat 6 to 8 figures to a base in 2 ranks, again for effectyou can get up to 4 ranks with 10mm but I Like the scenics.
There is also support and free downloads from the Yahoo group. well worth a look.

Mike
Regards

Mike L