2018 painting challenge: reduce the mountain some more!

Started by petercooman, 30 December 2017, 02:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

paulr

A very good haul indeed  :)

Well done, sticking to the plan =D> =D> =D>

Resisting temptation should be a little easier now, at least until the wallet recharges ;) ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

Quote from: paulr on 08 January 2018, 12:50:37 AM
A very good haul indeed  :)

Well done, sticking to the plan =D> =D> =D>

Resisting temptation should be a little easier now, at least until the wallet recharges ;) ;D

Doing my best to stick to the plan. Just received my Perry order and my highlanders, and just put 2 riflemen and 4 voltigeurs togheter and tucked away the rest of the sprues/boxes for when I have finished what I was supposed to be painting.

Privateers 3/4th done. Think I'll get them finished this weekend.

Already finished 6 guns for my pirate ship though!

petercooman

A bit later Than plannen, but the privateers are painted. Just do the bases and i'll have My second force finished.

Now the brainstorming begins. Do the pirates next or soms Bolt action?

paulr

=D>

Which will get more forces on the table quicker and give you more gaming options :-\

petercooman

17 January 2018, 09:24:03 PM #20 Last Edit: 17 January 2018, 09:25:34 PM by petercooman
Quote from: paulr on 17 January 2018, 06:59:43 PM
=D>

Which will get more forces on the table quicker and give you more gaming options :-

If only it were that simple  ;D ;D ;D

Here's the dillemma.

The flashing steel project is a 'solo' project for me. This means i don't plan on getting the rules played with the group.It's just something i want to do. Maybe we end up playing it, but chances are slim.

I introduced bolt action to the group last year, and it went very well. Last two game nights have been with bolt action.

Being the one who provides the armies, i have done my best to have two small forces ready for playing (my USMC and IJA). Since then i have bought some stuff to add on to the 'starter' armies i used to introduce the game. Lots of infantry, but also some mortars .

My mind says, finish the pirates first, thus completing the flashing steel project (for now  :-$ ). My gut feeling says,paint the bolt action stuff, to spice the game up a bit. If we keep using the same starter armies, things could get old fast.

Of course, there is always the option to mix, and for example paint the mortars first, then the pirates and then the rest.

If i didn't have enough of the pirates/marines/privateers finished already, it would be an easy choice, but as it stands now, there is enough to get a game in, so painting more doesn't really affect getting it to the table. This could be arguably be the same with the BA stuff, but adding mortars would mean "give you more gaming options".

This is one problem i didn't have with last years challenge, i only counted the numbers, so didn't matter what i painted. Now with focusing on forces/warbands, i have to prioritze and focus a bit more, as half finished forces are what i wanted to avoid in the first place!

paulr

I never said it was simple ;D

I would avoid mixing as that can quickly lead to "half finished forces "

As you have enough to get a game in for your flashing steel project I would suggest doing some of your bolt action add ons

I would select a 'matched pair' of add ons (USMC & IJA) including the mortars for variety in the game, then do the pirates then the rest of the bolt action add ons
Note this is definitely not the mixing option mentioned above ;D

Easy when you say it fast ;) :)

petercooman

Yes, matched pairs would be the way to tackle them.I'll just "go with the flow", and see what I want to do when I finish the privateers. There is no right or wrong option anyway.

petercooman

18 January 2018, 09:22:11 PM #23 Last Edit: 18 January 2018, 09:24:32 PM by petercooman
Just finished the bases on the privateers:

And the cannons i painted for my ship:

So,adding 16 models means:  34 models painted and two forces done:

1) pirates   
2) privateers
3) British forces to battle the pirates
4) bolt action USMC
5) bolt action IJA
6) bolt action germans
7) bolt action US airborne
8 ) deadzone marauder warband
9) deadzone plague zombies mob
10) unknown

paulr

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

petercooman

Matt J

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep